Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's a snorkel?

Not much use for a snorkel in a quarry or a cave. The only times I wear one is when teaching OW (mandated by agency standards) & when ocean diving- I will have one on my person, incase I need to protect my airway if I should have to surface in rough seas & don't have sufficient gas to get onto the boat in my cylinders.

I voted "other" because I use one only sometimes.
On offshore boat dives never.
On kelp free shore dives not usually, unless I'm wearing my double hose and have a considerable surface swim then I will wear one to keep the double hose from free flowing.
On kelpy dives where I need to crawl over the stuff yes.
It's easier and better for me to crawl over kelp and weeds face down and push the stuff underheath me and back. They call it the kelp crawl. Trying to get through kelp on your back results in getting your tank valve wrapped up and getting stuck, not so good especially if there's any swell.

But this is California. Maybe in the tropics or at a quarry there is no reason to have one.

I am another one that doesn't wear one constantly but do have one of the fold up type stuck in a pocket on my BC. Hate the thing flopping around when it is on my mask strap.

I wear mine when I dive in Laguna and when I want to swim around on the surface after I dive. Otherwise it goes in my pocket.

A lot of times, I like to snorkel on the surface and scope out the conditions, before descent. I also like to be last up so I snorkel after the dive. I carry it under the knife straps (on my calf knife), I never notice it, its convenient, and I don't risk losing things out of my pocket when stowing the snorkel in a pocket.

I rarely attach it to my mask strap, but leave the snorkel keeper on the snorkel, just in case.

I go to all the effort of lugging this big-ass tank of air around with me... why would I want the inconvenience of strapping a plastic tube to the side of my head? :wink:

I only carry a snorkel when i do shore dives. I havent worn one in a while since i do mainly springs and shore dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom