Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always have mine and don't really notice it's there. I have never used it outside of class though.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

I used to carry one for safety, but when it caused my mask to leak repeatedly at depth, I swore to NEVER have one attached again. may live to regret that decision, but for now I just dont use it, and feel it is a liability. I considered a pocket snorkel, but I dont need more junk to drag around with me. I suppose if I did more shore diving the snorkel would be more useful to me.

Last edited:
I carry a pocket snorkel as a "just in case" kind of tool. Picked one up for my brother as well since we both hate having a snorkel hanging there all the time.

I have a rollup snorkel in a little zippered case. I keep it in my pocket for PADI classes (I wear one in the pool, where snorkel skills have to be demonstrated). I have also taken it into the water with me in places where dolphins are known to be found. I had an utterly incredible experience of running into a pod of 50 or more dolphins on the way BACK from a dive in the Red Sea. I was out of my gear already, so no real chance to dive with them, but we all jumped in the water. Having to raise my head every thirty seconds or so to breathe was a PITA!

I have been caught on the surface in big swells and heavy chop on a number of occasions. I have never felt the need for a snorkel. In fact, the day on this last trip where we were in surface conditions where getting back on the RIB was a frightening experience, I polled the whole group of divers, and no one felt they would be safer or more comfortable with a snorkel.

I got rid of mine when I started filming 11 years ago. It frequently got in the way when I was wedging into tight areas on the reef to get the shot. There are times (on long surface swims) when I'd like to carry one, but no pockets on my harness or wetsuit. Most of the time I do my surface swims on my back anyway.

I keep a roll up snorkel either in a pocket on my dry suit, or a pocket strapped to my webbing. I haven't worn one in years, except while snorkeling!

If I am teaching at any level, or assisting, I wear a snorkel. Other times I have one in a pocket of my bc, scrunched up, in case I want it or need it as a safety measure. I always do this when shore diving, but not always from a boat. I always have one with me on dive trips, as we do a fair amount of snorkeling when not actually diving. I have to say I do not like a snorkel dangling in my face when diving, but sometimes it is necessary. For those of you who have lost snorkels, let me commend to you the simplest, cheapest and best snorkel keeper- it is rubber and looks like the number 8. Change it after ever 50 dives or every 18 months, and you will never lose a snorkel again.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

Snorkels are hazardous inside wrecks and caves so I don't wear one if I'm wreck diving or cave diving. I've never lost a snorkel but I've found about 5 of them. When I do wear a snorkel it's a rigid J snorkel which doesn't flop around like the expensive whizbang snorkels you see on the walls of dive shops. Since there is no purge valve it requires some skill to use but it can't fail and it's also great for shooting pesky divemasters with water.

Back
Top Bottom