Arrow/cookie protocol survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was curious what different methods are out there for arrow/cookie placement in the following scenarios:

Change of direction of the permanent arrows:
Mark the planned exit side with a cookie, make mental note that the arrows are now pointing away from my exit

Passing a T or Y:
Place a cookie on my exit side

Making a marked jump:
Tie in between the arrows, if over-crowded tie into my own arrow

Making an unmarked jump:
Tie into my arrow which is pointing towards my exit

Making a marked jump but when coming from the opposite direction as the arrows:
Tie into my arrow facing towards my exit.

Finding the line (after losing it):
No arrow, clip the reel onto the found line towards the direction of my travel; reverse the clip if the initial guess was wrong.

loosebits:
Mark the planned exit side with a cookie, make mental note that the arrows are now pointing away from my exit

No arrow, clip the reel onto the found line towards the direction of my travel; reverse the clip if the initial guess was wrong.

same as you except for the above two.

i was not trained to mark change of direction of the permanent arrow, and i was trained to place an arrow after re-finding the line

loosebits:
I was curious what different methods are out there for arrow/cookie placement in the following scenarios:

Ditto

loosebits:
Passing a T or Y:
Place a cookie on my exit side.
ditto

loosebits:
Making a marked jump:
Tie in between the arrows, if over-crowded tie into my own arrow.
(not full cave yet, but I know GUE doesn't do this)
so don't tie in here, tie into the line off to the side and mark your exit side with a cookie.

loosebits:
Making an unmarked jump:
Tie into my arrow which is pointing towards my exit.

No tie into line and mark exit side of T with a cookie

loosebits:
Making a marked jump but when coming from the opposite direction as the arrows:
Tie into my arrow facing towards my exit..

Don't alter the general navigation of the cave. Tie into the line and mark the exit side with a cookie

loosebits:

Tie into line. Again, mark direction chosen with a cookie.

Basically, GUE doesn't use arrows for any of these choices/marks. Your arrows have different meanings depending on circumstances and have can also potenially change the general navigation of the cave. By using cookies on the exit side of ANY T whether you just installed it or its permanent, the markers are consistent across all scenarios and don't change the general navigation either. And you can still follow them blind.

I had different instructors for cavern/intro and apprentice/full. With finding the line, I perfer my intro instructors method of using the clip to indicate direction as if I later realize I went the wrong way, it takes 2 seconds to switch the clip but quite a while to switch the arrow (unclip the reel, free it from the arrow, move the arrow, reclip the reel). I always place the clips on all my reels towards my exit.

rjack321:
No tie into line and mark exit side of T with a cookie

No concern with the jump line sliding around on the main line? That is the reason I was taught to use an arrow in this case.

loosebits:
No concern with the jump line sliding around on the main line? That is the reason I was taught to use an arrow in this case.

Well, as I said, not full cave yet so I have no direct experience with much of this stuff...

But where's it gonna go? On one side are the arrows marking the jump on the other is your cookie.
O=cookie
l=your jump
< = arrows

E.g
O l << for your exit is left
vs.
<< l O for your exit is right

Doesn't seem like your jump line can move very much.

that cookie is basically uneccesary ...

why not just tie into the arrows?

I was referring to the unmarked jump where there are no double arrows. When I am in agreement with the double arrows provided its not crowded, I'll just tie in between them.

H2Andy:
that cookie is basically uneccesary ...

why not just tie into the arrows?

Which cookie? When the jump arrows poin the same direction as your exit?

That's a feel good cookie. 1) keeps all marks consistent 2) inspires confidence on your return that you are following your own jumps.

Same reason you might find "feel good" arrows before, during, and after a restriction.

i guess if it's not absolutely necessary to navigation, i dont bother

kind of clutters up the place

(anway ... i'm not full cave either so ... take with grain of salt)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom