Arrow/cookie protocol survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
I think this is one of those things that can be argued back and forth. I´d say that the problem with those dives is that they were "trust me dives", not that divers didn´t drop NDMs. If you do a dive (any dive) with your mind "switched off" you are inviting trouble, NDMs or no...

You feel that everyone should drop cookies and I don´t (though I´m open to the idea of changing my mind after I´ve gained some more experience) , I´d shalk it up to personal preference :)11: :wink: ) and leave it at that...

Kinda like following a deco computer vs. planning a deco dive and following tables....

Dropping cookies keeps the mind sharp! But you're right the thing to avoid is tuning out. Or getting mixed messages in the team.

I won't say I am an expert and there are many with far greater expierence then I but on this issue, my opinion is unless your marker agrees with the normal navigation means of the cave, IE agrees with arrows on the mainline, I say place a cookie. It does the exact same thing as an arrow for your team without potentially messing up other teams. In most cases, you NDM's, be it clothespins or cookies are far more useful than arrows. (so much, I turned a few arrows into cookies)

The other point I'd make is that the line markers are a confirmation of the referencing you did on the way in. You should know which way to go at jumps, even in a line drill exit. (unless you want to set the record for the most jumps on a dive)

I agree with others , I don't trust ANY personal arrows on a line (except my own)...Well , you know what I mean.

I used to use a "HAPPY" arrow up at the 1st marked jump to the Wishbone tunnel at Cisteen to tell me the way to go back to the mainline. (since the double arrows at Wishbone point towards Cisteen sink).

Now after a few times of doing that , I started using a cookie instead. That way the arrows tell me the SHORTEST distance out but my cookie still gives me a HAPPY feeling that we are going the right way out in normal cases...

I have also thought about (and done a few times) placing cookies on a line when I THINK (even slightly) about getting confused on a line etc (on the exit side , of course :D )
Some might think that dumb or stupid , but it gives ME the knowledge of the way home if I am EVER unsure. And of course , dropping the cookie was unplanned to the team but made me feel better. And I let those behind me know too that I have dropped a cookie. Of course , if the unsure gets any greater , the THUMB comes out !!! Or I just thumb it without dropping the cookie.

Jeano Beano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom