Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright I have a question.
Yesterday I was driving down a street, heard sirens coming up behind me, and saw smoke ahead of me. I pulled over let several fire trucks, and other emergency vehicles go on by. They stopped just infront of me to battle the house fire, completely blocking the street. I sat there for several minutes (I do have to say I was impressed with the speed at which the firefighters worked), I wasn't sure the opposing traffic was stopped and my view was completely blocked. 2 cops were stopped there, telling people to turn around (my direction) I'd assume there was one on the otherside, but I don't knwo that for sure. I had to wait a few minutes to have enough space to turn around because of the vehicles around me being idiots.

I finally got turned around, about 15 minutes later, headed back down the street, which is a pretty long one with no side streets (and really no good place to turn around) back to the last intersection, passing cars heading to the road block along the way, and was surprised to see there wasn't a cop stopping people from heading down the street.
Seems like that would have made sense.... what am I missing?

Alright, I have an answer! :wink:

There could be any number of reasons why there wasn't anyone directing traffic. Some possibilities: Not enough manpower, help may have been needed at the scene, some other event took priority over directing traffic....etc.

For my department, we don't help directly with fires. Our job at a fire scene is to direct traffic and secure the scene. Actually, our fire department is well known for their wonderful parking jobs, which makes our job soooooo much easier (note the sarcasim). We aren't even first responders. I can do "first band-aid" and that's it. None of our officers (about 100 of us) are current on first responder, CPR, etc...this is because we have a large full-time fire department.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer, but my guess is one of those items I listed above.

There were 2 cops right where the fire trucks were directing trafic, where it was obvious you couldn't get through, just seems like it would have made sense to have them at the intersection.

But thanks for the reply, I'm sure it is different for each dept.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I've read many of the 69 pages here, but...
A friend of mine is a 911 dispatcher. She mentioned once that there are three things that really tick cops off, but never explained it. Could you tell us what these magic 3 are, and explain a bit, please? Thanks.

Tell the truth, you guys ever borrow the search and rescue/recovery scuba supplies for a dive trip on your day off?

If there is a sign at the scuba site no solo diving and I am diving solo what is the penalty ? get a ticket ? if yes how much $ . or what can happen .

TJcop:
I belong to many different forums (not just scuba ones), and I have several of these threads.
It's easy, simple and fun! So...

Go ahead, ask me any police/law enforcement related questions!

My background:
I'm a 31 year old police officer with 9+ years of experience. I also teach part-time (police acadamy, police science, advanced training, etc...). I work in SE Wisconsin, in a department that has about 100 sworn officers. Just finished 2005 with about 37,000 calls for service.
My disclaimer:
I'm not an attorney and this is for fun and informational purposes only. If you are in a situation that may require council, please seek an attorney.

OK, ASK AWAY!!!

RikRaeder:
Sorry if this has been asked before. I've read many of the 69 pages here, but...
A friend of mine is a 911 dispatcher. She mentioned once that there are three things that really tick cops off, but never explained it. Could you tell us what these magic 3 are, and explain a bit, please? Thanks.

arguing with them?
running away?
swearing at them?

I'm sure those would do it, but I heard there are three things guaranteed to get you a ride in a squad car. Never had a chance to finish the conversation. Of course *I* never have problems with the law. #1 they're much too worried about getting gunned down in my hometown (tough place) #2 I'm not the getting into trouble type and #3 I actually respect the badge and the people who can put up with that job day after day. I saw a nice clip of a guy who had heard that the police can't do anything to you if you flip them off. He jumped out of his car, ran up to a beat cop and flew double eagles in his face. Guess why they call them beat cops. Officer took out his nightstick and went to work on dude. ha ha. I wouldn't try that one either, but I heard that there are 3 magic no nos.

I'm a cop in SC - here are three things that will get you a ride in my car or an ambulance for everytime:
The name game
Running from me
Hurting or attempting to hurt one of my beat partners

RikRaeder:
I'm not sure on that one. I personally don't like (1)Being lied to (2)Disrespected and (3)Having to run after your dumb *****.

NYC Diver:
Tell the truth, you guys ever borrow the search and rescue/recovery scuba supplies for a dive trip on your day off?
We don't have a rescue/recovery team here, so I'm not borrowing anything. BUT, I may look into my Fire Dept. for filling my tanks, if they have the proper equip.

tiberiu:
If there is a sign at the scuba site no solo diving and I am diving solo what is the penalty ? get a ticket ? if yes how much $ . or what can happen .
Last time I checked, there isn't a scuba police. I think we are supposed to police ourselves when it comes to diving safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom