Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I can't recall the exact reference - as best I remember it was a paper from the Dept. of Justice concerning traffic stops by State Police. If memory serves not all agencies were guilty, but some most definitely were, including a state I was living in.

Here in Hawaii, my observation of the problem suggests that the situation amongst the local police is very biased against young women and minorities. There's an almost twice weekly traffic enforcement effort (seatbelt, registration, insurance, safety inspection and speed) down the hill from where I live and I try to notice who has been stopped ... very few "respectable" white guys or older white women ... lots of Pacific Islanders, Hispanics, young attractive females, etc. Maybe that correlates with those who flaunt the law, I don't know for sure ... the police just waive hello to me and older guys like me who drive "clean" cars.

I love it when people quote things and then say they can't remember where they heard, read, or smelled it.
Could it be that the women that get pulled over because they ARE speed, or whatnot, and hope that their "good looks" will get them out of a ticket?

But I have a serious question for TJcop
Isn't it true that if a cop isn't wearing his hat you can get out of a ticket?

:rofl3: Sorry I had to ask that. :rofl3:

I remember driving down I-20 towards the state line, not knowing that it was Freaknik weekend and seeing a lot of young college age black men driving nice cars. I figured "hmm.... it must be Freaknik this weekend as I knew it was sometime in April".

as we crossed the state line in very light traffic, 3 cars of black college students and my car in a group, about 5-6 state patrol cars pulled out. The first car pulled up beside me and noticed I was not black, and then pulled forward and pulled over the first car. The second, thirst, and fourth patrol cars all did the same thing, looking at me, seeing I was not black, and pulled over the other cars.

If I had not being going to Freaknik, but happened to be black college age, I would have been pulled over also.

Yes I know the way the cops treated this is racism... and I think it's wrong.

but these kids were pulled over based on racial profiling, flat and simple.

I'm not saying all cops are that way.... but it sure gives a bad image.

Or it could be that someone called the cops and said that a car with black males was traveling on said highway doing something illegal so the cops didn't pull you over because you didn't fit the profile the witness stated.

Ticket quotas don't work. They're illegal. We can have citation numbers based off of shift performance though. I use a system that calculates the number of citations per man/day worked. Basically it comes up with a number (say .9) that is applied to the number of days your worked during that period. So if you worked 20 days, then you would be considered performing satisfactory if you issued 18 or more citations.

where I live they say quota's are illegal also.

so they just -re-worded- the requirement. Troopers/officers are required to make "6 interactions with the public daily". So working a wreck or accident report could count, helping someone fix a tire, or writing tickets counts. Still it makes them get out of their cars and interact with someone.

I'm ok with this even if it means the chances I get a ticket go up, because then they are doing their job and interacting/working with the people that tax money pays them to support. (before hand we had some instances of them sleeping in their cars acting like they were on speeding duty. sleeping because they worked a uniformed higher paying security gig often at night for extra cash).

Political pressure rarely affects us. In 13 years I've never been told to write more citations due to budgetary issues. Truthfully, traffic citations account for very little in the part of revenue. Most of it goes to the state and into law enforcement training funds.

I saw the breakdown of tickets where we live. I think about 80% of it goes to the state also.

Or it could be that someone called the cops and said that a car with black males was traveling on said highway doing something illegal so the cops didn't pull you over because you didn't fit the profile the witness stated.

nope. There were about another 5 state patrol cars that were lined up pulling other people over.

when you've got 10 state patrol cars all lined up on the state line on a weekend such as Freaknik when the governor comes on TV and promises people he's going to have the state patrol out in force to make people stop wanting to come to Freaknik, it was profiling.

It was just easy to profile people coming as they were all young black college age.

you don't assemble 10 patrol cars on the state line pulling people over on a weekend like that because someone calling in a speeding report on a "hotline"

I think women get pulled more and let go more

probably lectured more

but these kids were pulled over based on racial profiling, flat and simple.

I'm not saying all cops are that way.... but it sure gives a bad image.

Call it racial profiling if you want, but the bottom line is, college age blacks were attending an event and caused a lot of damage. To protect the citizens and the property, the police decided to proactively attack the problem. It would seem prudent to stop groups of black college age people in the area...stopping white college age people would be rather counter productive. I realize there are fine lines and profiling can be taken to far, but there are times...and these seems like one of them, where profiling was a legimate tactic. It's no different than stopping all the fat white guys in pickup trucks to try to prevent a clan rally.

I love it when people quote things and then say they can't remember where they heard, read, or smelled it.
I spend my life remembering references in my field and a whole passel of allied disciplines, I hope I may be excused for not committing to memory something that I looked at once in passing. In point of fact using nothing more than the information I provided I was able to find the report I was thinkin about as wall as a whole buch of others, almost all of which contain something like:
Although statistical data is limited, there is some evidence to indicate that in certain areas minority drivers are stopped more often than whites. Harris (1997) found that for a three year period in the late 1980s, of 1,100 videotaped traffic stops on I-95 in Volusia County, Florida, more than 70% of the drivers stopped were either African-American or Hispanic even though these groups comprised only 5% of the drivers on this highway. Even though only 9 of the 1,100 stops received a ticket, 80% of about 500 searches involved African-American or Hispanic drivers and these groups were also detained on the average twice as long as whites. Harris (1997) also reported that 75% of the 732 motor vehicle searches conducted by the Maryland State Police from January 1995 through June 1996 were with African-American motorists.
I love it when people would rather trash someone than use many less keystroke and google ... it tells you so much about their underlying personal agendas.

HPD pulled JB over on the Pali to look at his Ducati, lol

he almost cried, i said "be happy"

those Marine officers are very serious

Honolulu cops like fast vehicles, check what they get to drive!

Call it racial profiling if you want, but the bottom line is, college age blacks were attending an event and caused a lot of damage. To protect the citizens and the property, the police decided to proactively attack the problem. It would seem prudent to stop groups of black college age people in the area...stopping white college age people would be rather counter productive. I realize there are fine lines and profiling can be taken to far, but there are times...and these seems like one of them, where profiling was a legimate tactic. It's no different than stopping all the fat white guys in pickup trucks to try to prevent a clan rally.

so racial profiling is ok when it makes everyone else feel better? w.t.f?

as for the Klan, being fat, white and ignorant isn't against the law either (even if I don't agree with the KKK organization).

Back
Top Bottom