Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamont: Your question about where to pull over was answered above, but to re-cap: Pull over as quickly and safely as possible. If it's an unsafe area, the officer should direct you to a different spot, but after they make contact with you. I try to make sure that I stop people in a safe area, so I won't activate my lights until it's safe to do so.

As far as not attracting attention to yourself, you seem to be following the rules. State troopers here will stop at 8 over, I usually won't until 14-15ish (give/take) over.

Going too slow is usually only cited in accidents, or in obvious situations like the one you described.

I am very careful where I pick my spots to stop people. When I activate my lights it's because I want the person to pull over, not drive on.

Bill

Not that I have or would ever take a minor to bar(esp since I just passed my DOJ tests).
Let's say that someone ( not an employee) called and reported a underage drinker at a bar. what would happen to the underage drinker? anything? An officer sent to the bar at that time to deal with the minor?
Also Lets say I'm driving behind someone and they turn out to be drunk (ie all over the road, whatever) should I or how can I report that?

Very good thread. Some great stories.

Thanks to all the Police, Fire, and EMS people out there..

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail I sent recently to a friend of mine (recently retired Police Officer)..

The following 15 Police Comments were taken off of actual police car
videos around the country.

#15. "Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll
stretch out after you wear them awhile."

#14. "Take your hands off the car, and I'll make your birth
certificate a worthless document."

#13. "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

#12. "Can you run faster than 1200 feet per second? In case you
didn't know, that is the average speed of a 9mm bullet fired from my
gun."

#11. "So you don't know how fast you were going. I guess that means
I can write anything I want on the ticket, huh?"

#10. "Yes, sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don't
think it will help. Oh, did I mention that I am the shift supervisor?"

#9. "Warning? You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to
do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

#8. "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are
drunk or not: Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

#7. "Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where
you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy, and step in monkey DOO."

#6. "Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a
toaster oven."

#5. "No, sir, we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas,
but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

#4. "Just how big were those two! beers?"

#3. "In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC."
#2. "I'm glad to hear the Chief of Police is a good personal friend
of yours. At least you know someone who can post your bail."

And.................... THE BEST ONE !!!!!!!

#1 "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets?
You're right, we don't.

Haha,

I think this post may have been dead.

One more question...In the summer, ill be taking a class, that would allow me (upon completion) to carry a concealed weapon...the only problem is that i am under 21, and cannot buy a handgun. Will this permit allow me to purchase a handgun even considering my age?

Adrenalinerush:
Let's say that someone ( not an employee) called and reported a underage drinker at a bar. what would happen to the underage drinker? anything?

In California, the minor could lose his or her driver's license for a year, even if there was no car involved.

Adrenalinerush:
Let's say that someone ( not an employee) called and reported a underage drinker at a bar. what would happen to the underage drinker? anything? An officer sent to the bar at that time to deal with the minor?
Also Lets say I'm driving behind someone and they turn out to be drunk (ie all over the road, whatever) should I or how can I report that?

Answers:
Underage drinkers will get a citation and can lose their license. How much and how long depends on prior arrests for underage drinking.

Drunk driver...call 911 on your cell phone and report it. Try to get a license plate and description of the vehicle. Also, if it's safe to do so, follow the vehicle and put your flashers on.

Jorbar1551:
Haha,

One more question...In the summer, ill be taking a class, that would allow me (upon completion) to carry a concealed weapon...the only problem is that i am under 21, and cannot buy a handgun. Will this permit allow me to purchase a handgun even considering my age?

Laws vary from state to state. I would check with your local Sheriff Department (or other Law Enforcement agency). In Wisconsin (no concealed carry law...), you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, but 18 to use one. Go figure.

Jorbar1551:
Haha,

OK, Federal law says that you must be 21 to buy from a FFL, Federal Firearms License holder, (gun dealer). Depending on your state's law you may or may not be allowed to buy. A concealed carry permit will NOT change the Federal law. Your state may allow private citizen to citizen sales, no FFL involved, and it may be legal.

When I lived in NY, I got my permit when I was 19. I could NOT buy from a dealer but I could buy from another permit holder.

Im in California. CA is a couple years away from banning all weapons. All the police will have is a whistle, and a stick.

I was watching the news the other night about the sfpd. the local newspaper was doing some investigative reporting about police brutality. Aparently, a cop can be disapplined fired for having the handcuffs to tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom