Aspiring Solo Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I strongly recommend doing a Rescue Diver certification course. That's the main place I've seen where education about panic is specifically addressed. At issue is that when diving panic is a natural response that most anyone can develop under sufficiently adverse circumstances, at least without due preparation, appropriate mindset and proper experience. Panic is not just 'spazzing out' because someone is weak-willed, over-emotional and inadequate. 'Fight or Flight' can save your life on land, or end it underwater. Cultivating the discipline of 'stop, think, act' is important.

It seems to me from some fatal accident postings that either running out of air & not knowing what to do, or panic, likely account for a lot of the deaths (that aren't due to heart attack or other major medical complications). I suspect that much of what's killed divers could have been handled by a reasonably competent, level-headed diver at the Rescue Diver level of training (whether formally or informally acquired competency).

I'm hoping to get the SDI Solo Certification this summer. And I'm glad I did a rescue course first. Sometimes you don't know what you don't know.

Richard.

I got tired of chasing everyone, and find pleasure in the smaller life that many divers zoom past. There are also the "zen" moments where you're hanging in the water column enjoying the just being...which would likely cause a buddy to signal "OK?"

I would like to hear from Solo divers . . . as to why you prefer to solo dive, when you started and any tips and info you have for aspiring solo divers.
Why: a) It is convenient, for those times when I am ready to dive and no one else is available; b) it is practical (do two of us really need to splash to set or release a tie-in to a wreck on a coastal charter); c) it is very relaxing (and almost spiritual, to be the only diver on a wreck, listening to the incredible symphony of underwater sounds at times); d) it is functional, for those times when I have a specific objective for a dive, and my dive buddy has a specific objective, and the two objectives are different, so we agree to become same-ocean buddies (or, actually, same-quarry buddies) in the water, and hook up again on shore afterward, for the all-important post-dive debriefing (beer, jalapenos and peanut butter, and Cuban cigars).

When: the first time I felt like I solo dived was two years ago, at two different places, under different circumstances. But, I look at the combined experience as the point where I walked through the solo dive door. In May 2010, I was CA for a Tec Deep class, off the Florida coast, and was assigned the job of jumping in ahead of the class, with a long piece of lead line attached to a surface float, descending to the wreck (Hydro Atlantic) and tying off the line to the wreck, for the 3 students to use as a reference for the descent. There was more than a little pre-dive anxiety: what if I miss the wreck (there was current and I had to trust that the captain had me splash up current at just the right point, and that I descended at just the right rate, etc.). what if I have a gear problem at 150 ft, etc. But, the feeling of descending, alone, into the green void, and having the massive wreck finally materialize right in front of me was such a rush (there is no other way to describe it)! Then, 4 months later, I was staying at Buddy Dive on Bonaire and I wanted to test some gear rigging. So, I geared up, jumped in and did a dive by myself, on the Buddy Reef. I realized afterward how much I enjoyed it. That very night, I went on a night dive on the reef with some of the other club divers on the trip – it was a group dive without an established buddy pattern. I noticed at one point that I was swimming well ahead of the group and was, essentially, diving solo. – wow, another solo dive, at night! So, I turned off my light and just swam along for the next hour, by myself. What a glorious feeling. After that, I didn’t think about solo vs buddy dives. I now approach essentially every dive as a solo dive, whether I am by myself, with a regular buddy, or with a group.

Tips: It is hard to add much to Andy’s superb post, except personal feelings. I know there was a time – even as recently as three years ago - when I was not yet ready to solo dive. I may have had 400 logged dives, I may have been an instructor, and I may have had technical dive training and experience (yes, every decompression dive is functionally a solo dive). But, I think I did not yet have the comfort, confidence, clarity – I am not sure exactly what the right word is – to safely and enjoyably solo dive. And, I think each person probably knows when they are ready. For some, it may be at 20 dives, for others at 200 dives, and for others, never. And, some will solo dive even though they know, subconsciously perhaps, they are not ready (the cowboys that Andy refers to).

So, how do you prepare for the time when you know you are ready (or, put another way, how do you prepare, in order to make that time a reality)? It is about acquiring a particular skill set, which courses now offered by a number of training agencies help you do. It is about assembling a reliable, familiar, functional equipment set, with appropriate and necessary redundancy - and knowing how to use it. And, it is very much about developing a mindset. That is the tough part, and I wish I could tell you exactly how to do it. But, I am not sure I can. From my perspective, it is using every dive to prepare for 'what ifs' - I don't mean that you shouldn't enjoy each dive, because you are so busy (mentally) 'training'; rather, use every dive as an opportunity to train your mind and body. That may not be helpful. Hopefully, others are more skilled than I in describing how to develop the mindset.

I would like to hear from Solo divers.... as to why you prefer to solo dive, when you started...

I did my first solo dives over 10 years ago. I'd done some TDI technical courses and, in the UK, it's common to allow technical divers to solo, if properly equipped (full tech rig). Those were wreck dives in the 20-30m range. The boats I dived from were run like 'dive site taxis'... no DMs. Quite often I found myself without a buddy, or having to curtail my activities if paired with a less experienced buddy. Solo gave me the freedom to dive the dives I wanted to complete.

When subsequently working in Thailand, Malaysia and Philippines, I did a lot of shallower, photo-based solo diving. For instance, when running day trips to Mabul, I'd often skip lunch break and do a solo shore dives with my camera - it was great to be in the water without customers to attend to... and to put full focus onto my camera.

I've dived in Subic Bay (wrecks) for the last 5 years. Plenty of days where I didn't have customers - so I'd jump on the boat and get some dives in by myself. Sometimes to practice tech or wreck skills... more often to do wreck penetration diving. I rarely have the luxury of having an equally trained, trustworthy dive buddy to do technical wreck penetrations with - so those were my opportunities to really explore inside areas of the wrecks where I couldn't otherwise take 99% of divers.

I would add on exception. Training is required to obtain a C-card which may or may not be honored by a dive op. But the key to safe solo diving (and other diving) is skill, knowledge, ability and attitude. Formal training may help develop these things but may not be necessary or sufficient. You, and maybe an instructor or mentor, will have to decide.

Great thread!

I would only second that diving, solo or otherwise, is largely about being comfortable in the water. The only way you're going to be comfortable that you can handle the speed bumps that a dive may put in your path is to go thru several problems under water, IMO.

Once you know how you will personally handle stress - by encountering "real" life-shaking experiences - the better you can mentally prepare for your dive.

I tend to do long solo dives - 4 to 7 hours & often a mile or so back in a cave - yet my heart still races and my breathing rate still soars when I hit one of those speed bumps. I've been thru it enough to know that 1.) I'm initially going to be stressed, 2.) that I will eventually settle down and use my brain to think, 3.) that I do have emergency skills & backup equipment that have been proven time & again. and 4.) that the odds are in my favor of getting out alive because I've taken the time to prepare before getting in the water.

The above may sound strange to some, but you have to go into the water knowing that things will go wrong & that you really have to have thought about all of those "what ifs," if you are going to make another dive. All of the courses help, but stress management can't be taught, IMO; It can only be "acquired" by diving - a lot and on a routine basis.

I personally don't believe the "initial" stress created by an underwater problem ever goes away: It's an adrenaline thing.

If you don't enter the water knowing that your "primary" equipment is going to fail (I've even lost a fin 4,000 feet back in cave) & that you are going to be mentally tested, then you might want to reconsider whether or not diving is for you, solo or with a buddy. You only get one chance, so you have to be mentally & equipment ready to take advantage of that one chance. That means looking at your gear and mentally going thru what you will do when each piece of it fails.

Solo diving is serious, because it is.

But, once you are prepared, it's a wonderful experience.

You and if applicable your family also need to know and accept that if something serious happens you may die alone and in perhaps a nasty way and that your body may never be recovered.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I would only second that diving, solo or otherwise, is largely about being comfortable in the water. The only way you're going to be comfortable that you can handle the speed bumps that a dive may put in your path is to go thru several problems under water, IMO.

I agree... and particularly like the caveat that you've added. Being comfortable in the water... and being comfortable under stress/in an emergency are two very distinct capabilities.

Many divers can attest to the former. Few can attest to the later.

Nothing to add to these great posts, just that even when you think you have every scenario covered, something will challenge you and catch you unaware. In January while solo at local lake I got a bad dose of alternobaric vertigo...I have never suffered from any form vertigo prior to that.
Extremely confused in a WTH moment, sucked A LOT of air. After it passed, I calmed down, stayed put after status check, and then cautiously made my way back to shore.
I have gotten wet since, both solo and buddy, with no recurrence, but with another potential problem in the back of my mind.

I got tired of chasing everyone, and find pleasure in the smaller life that many divers zoom past. There are also the "zen" moments where you're hanging in the water column enjoying the just being...which would likely cause a buddy to signal "OK?"

Uuh, yeah, I think we call that "narced" :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom