“Assembly fee” after vis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is no assembly. The VIP includes all labor. I would try to never, ever go back there. It is like the tire dealer charging you to install and balance the tires and then adds an EXTRA $20 per tire to fill them with air. Is it any wonder the scuba shops are in trouble?

However, a new tank from the factory should be inspected internally before their first fill. To do otherwise makes no sense.

I am an LDS, and that does sound steep to me. Maybe that is a going rate in that area, or there is something else involved that is not readily apparent, but as described I would question the charge.
Most (if not all) stores will have a testing/assembly fee if a customer brings in a regulator that was bought somewhere else. Maybe somebody (mistakenly?) applied that same fee to your cylinder??

Also did not need a VIP after shipping from the factory or even a distributor....
That is technically correct, and I used to deliver new cylinders to divers based on that manufacturer sticker that included that statement. But after some additional thought and experience, I decided to do another visual anyway and apply a fresh sticker before it went out the door, n/c with the tank purchase, because:
  1. The MFGR sticker on the tank almost always has less than 12 months on it.
  2. Customer may have trouble getting fills if that is the only sticker - if they have to educate another shop's employee, it will likely come back to me as the cause of the problem.
  3. If there is actually some production problem, such as folds intruding on the threads, I want to know right away and NOT sell the tank, rather than wait several months or longer to start the conversation with the supplier.

sounds like they wanted a pound of flesh to punish you for buying online. a rush fee is understandable if you told them you needed them back quickly, but not an extra assembly fee for single tanks.

sounds like they wanted a pound of flesh to punish you for buying online. a rush fee is understandable if you told them you needed them back quickly, but not an extra assembly fee for single tanks.

I mean they did have the tanks ready next day, but yeah transparency for what you’re getting always helps.

I do try to support small businesses, but it’s hard to justify the cost of 2 tanks through them when I could get 3 online for a similar price

$20 per VIP with fill would be within the realm of reason. Maybe add an extra $5 for HP fill.

but I don't know what prices average in your area

I'd be happy to pay that... I just bought 2 HP120's and told the seller to get them vip'ed before i picked them up... The shop charged $104!! I paid since I didn't specify anything other then asking to have the work done... but WOW, I was kind of shocked...

@noj3333 ouch! I guess there is always someone out there who has it worse. :O

Did the seller send a receipt/invoice? I can’t understand it unless they tumbled the tanks,rebuilt valves,hydro... etc

I'd be happy to pay that... I just bought 2 HP120's and told the seller to get them vip'ed before i picked them up... The shop charged $104!! I paid since I didn't specify anything other then asking to have the work done... but WOW, I was kind of shocked...

We’re they also O2 cleaned?

If only just an "assembly fee", and no cleaning or valve work (clean and replace guts for PP blending): While you are still ahead in terms of cost, I would not hesitate to mention to them the likelihood of no longer using them for future purchases or sales with their selfish "punishment"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom