Atom 2 or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Input from the dark side .... staying within no decompression limits? If so, then I would agree that the Oceanic would be perferable to the Sunnto due to the Sunnto's conservatism. My brother-in-law uses the Atom. I use a Vytec. How he sees the data on that thing is beyond me - I'd go with the VT3 instead of the Atom. I had one of the wrist watch computers and it took me about one dive to decide it wasn't gonna fly. Throw in some light deco diving and I would opt for the Vytec. The Oceanic can only compute deco stops to 60 feet and doesn't compute deep stops at all. Better yet, I'd forget about the Vytec and go with the new Sunnto Helo2. In some informal tests run by some divers here on Scuba Board, the Helo2 set at conservatism -1 was about the same as the VT3 set in normal mode which means the "Sunnto is too conservative versus the Oceanic"arguement no longer holds water. If you ever advance to Trimix, your covered for Trimix dives down to 200 feet or so (see complete review of Sunnto Helo2 over on York Shire Divers) since the Helo2 can also handle Trimix as well as air and nitrox. I believe the two main compaints about the Vytec (i.e. conservatism and the computer unnecessarily adding deco time have been addressed in the Helo2). Mine's on the way. I realize the OP didn't mention deco diving. Just thought I'd offer up these comments as food for thought.

Input from the dark side .... staying within no decompression limits? If so, then I would agree that the Oceanic would be perferable to the Sunnto due to the Sunnto's conservatism. My brother-in-law uses the Atom. I use a Vytec. How he sees the data on that thing is beyond me - I'd go with the VT3 instead of the Atom. I had one of the wrist watch computers and it took me about one dive to decide it wasn't gonna fly. Throw in some light deco diving and I would opt for the Vytec. The Oceanic can only compute deco stops to 60 feet and doesn't compute deep stops at all. Better yet, I'd forget about the Vytec and go with the new Sunnto Helo2. In some informal tests run by some divers here on Scuba Board, the Helo2 set at conservatism -1 was about the same as the VT3 set in normal mode which means the "Sunnto is too conservative versus the Oceanic"arguement no longer holds water. If you ever advance to Trimix, your covered for Trimix dives down to 200 feet or so (see complete review of Sunnto Helo2 over on York Shire Divers) since the Helo2 can also handle Trimix as well as air and nitrox. I believe the two main compaints about the Vytec (i.e. conservatism and the computer unnecessarily adding deco time have been addressed in the Helo2). Mine's on the way. I realize the OP didn't mention deco diving. Just thought I'd offer up these comments as food for thought.

Trimix computers for Technical diving don't really have a place in a discussion for computers intended for recreational diving. Considering the OP was deciding between the Atom and Vytec, I think we can rule out technical dive considerations (other than gauge mode, which is available to either). In that case, Suunto IS a LOT more conservative than Oceanic, period, end of story.

OK. I'll be direct then - In my opinion, Oceanic sucks. I'd strongly recommend the Vytec over the Atom for recreational diving.

OK. I'll be direct then - In my opinion, Oceanic sucks. I'd strongly recommend the Vytec over the Atom for recreational diving.

Of course, IMO, Suunto sucks... in terms of being overly conservative for recreational diving. And Oceanic is excellent. Plenty of Oceanic and Aeris customers seem to be quite happy with their computers.

Of course, there are other computers out there if Oceanic is to be avoided (because scuba127 thinks it sucks) and Suunto is too conservative. Uwatec and Sherwood come to mind...

Doug: My words about Oceanic in reaction to Compudude were too harsh. My apologies to Oceanic. I retract the word "sucks." If you read my original post, you'll see that I did give Oceanic computers their due when it comes to recreational diving. I was once Dive Master certified with an SDI shop that primarily sells Oceanic equipment. I was exposed to Oceanic computers during this time but made the personal decision to stay with Sunnto. My brother-in-law dives Oceanic and loves them. To each their own. I should have just let it go after my original post - my mistake.

I dive with a Vytec DS and for the most part I love it. My only problem is that every so often is that after I check to make sure that there's pressure in my tank. I'll shut off the valve and get ready for briefing. When I come back, it doesn't always sync up. This caused me to miss a dive one time, so now I also have a analogue SPG that I use too. If my Vytec syncs, awesome, if it doesn't, I have the SPG, and the Vytec goes into gauge mode.

I have had a continuing problem syncing Vytec. Bought a second DS thinking problem to be a fluke. Love the technology but just returned from Key Largo where I viewed "fail" for the last time. Have over come my pig- headed attitude and installed a brass and glass pressure gauge which is such a relief. Can turn my gas on at any time, leave it on if I choose, don't have to worry if it's going to fail over the wreck, and it's sleekly tucked under my right arm and clipped to d-ring. Still am happy with the wrist unit (basic computer) but any nice thing I have, in the past, said about the Suunto transmitter I now take back. It is not reliable.

I have the vytec ds, and it has always had problems syncing. My last dive my depth gauge didn't work, not a good safty feature. I do have a spg as backup though.

Adding the integrated compass feature such as in the Vyper Air may be nice. Not sure if there are any syncing issues with this one though.

I dive with a Vytec DS and for the most part I love it. My only problem is that every so often is that after I check to make sure that there's pressure in my tank. I'll shut off the valve and get ready for briefing. When I come back, it doesn't always sync up. This caused me to miss a dive one time, so now I also have a analogue SPG that I use too. If my Vytec syncs, awesome, if it doesn't, I have the SPG, and the Vytec goes into gauge mode.

Why would you want to shut off your valve when it's already paired? Your transmitter goes into a sleep mode if there is no pressure change for 5 minutes. Once you begin breathing/purge on your regulator, your transmitter wakes up and starts sending data.

You can always force it to re-sync by turning off your valve completely and then turning it back on. The transmitter will now select a new code. Your Vytec must be in "SETC" mode to pair the new code.

You can also manually erase the store code by pressing twice on the “TIME" button, then press the "PLAN" button follow by pressing the "MODE" button. This will erase the stored code and starts displaying "SETC", which allows a new code to be paired.

Most newbies including myself make the mistake of turning ON the valve before turning ON the Vytec, which causes sync issues. Always turn on your Vytec first before turning on the valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom