Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<snip>As i mentioned, this is not the first Cobalt I have seen with buttons that don't work for whatever reason. My first Cobalt didn't work out of the box, and now my replacement has flaked in such a short time. Perhaps my dive shop got a bad batch? I would like to ensure that the switches, magnets, and buttons on my Cobalt are re-tested and replaced as required. I don't want to have this happen again, especially as I plan to do a lot of diving out of the country.

I dove today (as I have most weekends so far) using a loaner Computer (not a Cobalt). Let's just say that I already miss my Cobalt. I am wondering if I could please get a loaner Cobalt until mine has been repaired? I can provide you with the serial number and Return Authorization number that was obtained from Atomic Aquatics for my Cobalt. Is that something that you would arrange with my dive shop?

Please let me know. Thanks.

-ITGuy
There have been a few issues with buttons, mostly some working sort of poorly (hard to actuate) out of the box as in your first one, and it's almost always been a problem with the magnet strength or alignment. Getting two is pretty exceptional, though. We are getting the switch manufacturer to supply us with tighter sensitivities, so it is not necessary to adjust magnet strength- that should reduce the chances. But once one works properly, it's very rare for it to stop doing so (unless crud gets under the button). I'll follow up on what happened with yours. I've PM'd you for info on getting a replacement/ loaner.

Ron

June 21st Problem Reported.
June 22nd Problem Solution Part Shipped by Atomic to me Free.
June 25th Part arrived in Maui!! Thats fast btw for Maui!!

http://i.imgur.com/SmPhi.jpg

I do not need any further proof that Atomic stands behind their products. I will not hesitate in future to purchase products.

RonR you can see the kite bridle line I am using now to secure it vs using the metal ring.

I couldn't stand the factory 'hose loop' thingy, much prefer my custom installed stainless-steel 'clip' instead.

:worthless:

I tried searching through this thread and also used Google search in an attempt to find the answer to this question, but to no avail. If I missed it in this thread please forgive me.

There is a thread here on SB that derides the conservatism of Suunto computers and their implementation of the RGBM algorithm. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/346506-suunto-really-bad.html Please enumerate all, if any, differences between the implementation in the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt vs the Suunto family of computers.

Thanks,

I know no one has had their Cobalt long enough to need battery replacement, but I was wondering what the estimated cost will be for the 2 year battery replacement and service. Anyone heard?

I tried searching through this thread and also used Google search in an attempt to find the answer to this question, but to no avail. If I missed it in this thread please forgive me.

There is a thread here on SB that derides the conservatism of Suunto computers and their implementation of the RGBM algorithm. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/346506-suunto-really-bad.html Please enumerate all, if any, differences between the implementation in the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt vs the Suunto family of computers.

Thanks,

This is not a simple question to answer, so I'm going to use some simplifications and shortcuts to try to answer just the question I think you're asking, without opening a full theological discussion of deco algorithms.

RGBM and the earlier (but still used) VPM are "bubble" algorithms. They are based on the physics of bubble formation rather than the empirical testing of research subjects that forms the basis for most other algorithms.

RGBM as a marketing label refers to an algorithm that attempts to reduce bubble formation by limiting the bubble size, rather than reabsorbing bubbles that have already formed, and does so under license from Bruce Wienke, the developer of RGBM. How this gets accomplished, and how conservative the profiles are, can vary considerably from implementation to implementation. Saying a computer is RGBM has no inherent bearing on conservatism, excepting that RGBM will tend to emphasize slower ascents and deeper stops. In general, the Atomic implementation of RGBM is less conservative than Suunto, but we are not talking about huge differences. And it can be very difficult to determine what one means by "more conservative"- penalizing rapid ascents more? Lower NDL's? Shorter schedules when in deco? "Locking out" violations? It's actually pretty complex. We never lock a diver out, for instance- though we have VERY prominent warnings if a deco violation has occurred. NDL's are generally more liberal than Suunto- though I can't say that will be the case for every profile or dive series.

There is also a "full" RGBM algorithm that is referred to as "iterative"- which just means it does all the bubble calculations and comes up with a profile designed to keep bubbles under a certain size. This is done by modeling mathematically the known physics of bubble formation. The calculations are very computationally intensive have therefore been the province of very powerful computers or even supercomputers until recently.

What has generally been the case with "RGBM" computers is that they are actually running a conventional Haldane algorithm (which is computationally easier to implement) and adding "bubble factors" to come up with limits and profiles that match those calculated by the "full" RGBM calculations, and meet the particular conservatism level chosen by the manufacturer. This works well within normal limits of recreational exposure. That is what Suunto does, and that's what the Cobalt does- to a point.

At depths below 150' the Cobalt switches to a fully iterative RGBM implementation, using code we developed back in 2003 that enables the "full" RGBM algorithm to run efficiently enough on the Cobalt's microprocessor to be useable in a real time system- while still doing all the other things the computer needs to do. In a desktop dive planner the code must run only once for a profile- in a dive computer it needs to update constantly and provide live feedback to the diver- a much more difficult problem.

At this point running fully iterative bubble models in a dive computer (as opposed to desktop software) is rare- Liquivision has VPM-B software available as well as (I believe) a full RGBM implementation. I don't know of any others. As much more powerful processors are readily available for handheld devices, this path becomes an increasing possibility. In the Cobalt, however, fully iterative RGBM will only have an impact on deeper decompression dives.

If you go to the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...mic-aquatics-dive-computer-4.html#post5601716 in this forum section you will see a discussion at about post #90 that covers why this is the case.

Ron

I know no one has had their Cobalt long enough to need battery replacement, but I was wondering what the estimated cost will be for the 2 year battery replacement and service. Anyone heard?
I don't know what shops will charge for the O-ring maintenance, but the battery is $50. However there should be no reason to replace it unless it is damaged, we've had them going much more than two years. Li-ion batteries are generally rated for hundreds of charge-discharge cycles. Typically they gradually start to lose capacity.

Ron, you have once again hit a home run with your thorough and timely response to my questions. Thank you.

I don't know anything about the management at Atomic Aquatics but whoever made you the lead man on this product and asked you to participate on this forum is a genius. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Just a niggle really. I just went to update unit from the Atomic website. Why do you have to fill in the registration form for every update? If its been asked before i apologise but surely user info could be gotten from the divelog software just by clicking on an update link somewhere. If you dont need an update it should say so, if you do then it downloads and talks you through the install. For those using a different software package then there could be a manual link as currently but i dont see the need for user and serial number info every time you download an update. If this has already been asked i aplogise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom