Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The update process will be improved- what we want is for the divelog software to go itself and find the update if one is needed, rather than the individual having to manually download it from the site. I know they do want to try to track which serial numbers have or have not been updated. Apparently an improved version of the divelog software that does this is in the works.

There have been a few issues with buttons, mostly some working sort of poorly (hard to actuate) out of the box as in your first one, and it's almost always been a problem with the magnet strength or alignment. Getting two is pretty exceptional, though. We are getting the switch manufacturer to supply us with tighter sensitivities, so it is not necessary to adjust magnet strength- that should reduce the chances. But once one works properly, it's very rare for it to stop doing so (unless crud gets under the button). I'll follow up on what happened with yours. I've PM'd you for info on getting a replacement/ loaner.

Ron

Thanks very much Ron. I have sent you an email with my details.

-ITGuy

I just returned last weekend from diving for 2+ weeks in Belize. Took both mine and my wife's Cobalts with me (she didn't go). Did around 30 dives, switching back and forth between the two.

I'm pleased to report no big issues, only three minor ones.

The first is inherent in the OLED display: it's really hard to read it in bright sunlight after you get back on the boat. You have to either find some shade or make your own by cupping your hands around the console, then stick it up to your face.

I'm pretty sure the temperature reading was too high on both Cobalts by at least 3 or 4 degrees, unless I really was consistently diving in 87 degree water. Software issue maybe?

The low on gas alarm was inaudible unless I put the console next to my ear, which would be less than an ideal way to dive, lol.

Still no case? Jeez. My $8 Leisure Pro Blue Reef sleeves worked reasonably well but still...

Over than the temperature readings, the Cobalts worked perfectly and were a joy to use, especially compared to my old computers.

... The first is inherent in the OLED display: it's really hard to read it in bright sunlight after you get back on the boat. You have to either find some shade or make your own by cupping your hands around the console, then stick it up to your face.
True, you can crank up the default brightness for the surface, but color screens, especially emissive ones, are weak in bright, direct sunlight. I've never had a problem reading it by cupping my hand over the screen. But then, in Seattle we don't know much about sun.

I'm pretty sure the temperature reading was too high on both Cobalts by at least 3 or 4 degrees, unless I really was consistently diving in 87 degree water. Software issue maybe?
Others have made this comment, and we have even gotten computers back to test, and the temperature on the Cobalt has always been right on. The case can hold heat for a while if it's been in the sun, and since the sensor is buried deep in the case, that can make it take a while for the temperature to respond to changes. The temperature sensor is used by the pressure (depth) sensor as well, and so far as we have tested it's been quite accurate- maybe the water was warmer than you thought?

The low on gas alarm was inaudible unless I put the console next to my ear, which would be less than an ideal way to dive, lol.
Still working on this, but you are correct.

Still no case? Jeez. My $8 Leisure Pro Blue Reef sleeves worked reasonably well but still...

Over than the temperature readings, the Cobalts worked perfectly and were a joy to use, especially compared to my old computers.
Thanks. Apparently lots of people think so- I just heard that the backorders are significant. I'll be sure to get you a case when they are ready. :D

Thanks. Apparently lots of people think so- I just heard that the backorders are significant. I'll be sure to get you a case when they are ready. :D

Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but if you can make it two cases, one per each of my Cobalts, that would be really sweet. :eyebrow:

Btw, if Atomic were to release a case like the one I suggested from my dream about 50 posts ago, I'd be more than happy to let you take credit for it. :coffee:

RonR--- would be cool if AA could include a light sensor into the cobalt.. Just like on my phone-- in brighter areas it ups the screen brightness-- and in dark area it lowers it.... That would work well on the cobalt-- when up top(bright) it ups the screen brightness to match and when deep(dark) it lowers the brightness to save battery...

RonR--- would be cool if AA could include a light sensor into the cobalt.. Just like on my phone-- in brighter areas it ups the screen brightness-- and in dark area it lowers it.... That would work well on the cobalt-- when up top(bright) it ups the screen brightness to match and when deep(dark) it lowers the brightness to save battery...
Years ago we tried one, and at the time they were not sensitive enough to respond effectively- they would turn on backlighting if it was really dark, but didn't respond to the minor variations in brightness we are concerned with. I'm sure they have gotten better, and it's something we are looking at for future generations.

If you register you Pro Plus on Oceanic you get a free online course and teaches you everything you need to know about the Pro Plus

If you register you Pro Plus on Oceanic you get a free online course and teaches you everything you need to know about the Pro Plus

Well, ok, I guess. If you play with the Cobalt for five minutes, you'll teach yourself everything you need to know about the Cobalt.

Regarding a light sensor, that would be fine with me as long as there's a manual override. I played with the backlight a few times in Belize just to do it but otherwise left it on full strength. One of the Cobalt's many attributes is how easy it is to read the display underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom