Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Ron - when I spoke to the Cobalt technician the first thing mentioned was the battery. Though I was unable to charge it I was able to use it on the next 10 dives and I am sure I could have done 10 more with little trouble if any. Yes, I did notice that when the computer gets wet it turns itself on. In my attempt to read the dive log on the boat I did have the brightness on full and underwater full brightness is not needed. I have one laser eye and one worn out eye. I guess it is how we see it! I am looking forward to getting it back and blow bubbles at the end of this month.

Hate to admit this but I have a Casio dive watch some where in the house and find it to be as complicated to use as a Suunto. Neither of which I longer use.

The next best thing to an on line course is to go to page 39 of your owner's guide and do a dive simulation. I confess that is really the only part of the guide I did need to read. Having done so gave me jump on what to expect when I hit the water.

Last edited:
Ok,folks, here's my story. Bought a brandnew Cobalt in May 2011 and went diving in the Bahamas. When I installed the HP hose onto my first stage, I then went to connect and screw on the Cobalt. The connector broke out of the housing and bare wires were visible, this before I had one dive with it. Even before this, I also noticed some erratic behavior of the "down" button, likely the magnet just needed to be replaced. Along with the connector coming out, the rubber strap of the cap also broke, likely in the same movement. Sent it in, after a month, Atomic sent me a new cobalt. Now going to Hawaii in 2 weeks, will try it again. My LDS says they also had anoher Cobalt come back that flooded.
With the new Cobalt, now the LEFT button is less sensitive than the others, but not as bad as the DOWN button on the 1st deceased unit.
Little worried about reliability....

Last edited:
hmmmm, well I will need mine back faster than a month, that is too slow :shakehead:
I have dive plans coming up this month. I am going to call Cobalt first thing Monday and get the ETA. My dive master mentioned to me that one of his divers used their Cobalt and after the 6th dive the O ring blew out. I know, things happen.

...When I installed the HP hose onto my first stage, I then went to connect and screw on the Cobalt. The connector broke out of the housing and bare wires were visible, this before I had one dive with it. <snip>
Little worried about reliability....
It sounds like the circlip that should hold the HP fitting in the case was not installed properly- otherwise it couldn't come out without destroying the case. I'm very surprised that it took a month to get it replaced, though. Were there shipping problems? All the repair/ replace incidents I have followed Atomic has resolved in days at most. Cobalt's have been in extremely short supply due to the demand exceeding projections, but replacements have top priority. Atomic has been bending over backwards to support the Cobalt early adopters.

re. reliability, I've just been through the records of every Cobalt retuned (of thousands sold) since sales began in late 2010, to see where things could be improved. This actually left me feeling quite confident that any early production problems have been dealt with effectively and quickly.
Ron

Ron, yes, I delivered it to the LDS on 30 May, they phoned on 7 July to say it's there. We have had some postal strikes of late, maybe that had an influence ? Anyhow, I just want the computer to physically hold up when I dive with it [ have not had a dive with it yet ]. Yes, this piece you call the "circlip" came unglued / out of the case. I don't even want to touch it this time around for fear it comes out again [ PTSD kicking in... ] Anyhow, I'm taking a backup Vyper and will give feedback when I'm back from the Kona Aggressor.

I am happy to report that Atomic Techs were able to turn my Cobalt around in about 10 days inspite of the 4th holiday. Kudos. It lights up nice and pretty as before. I don't know what all the parts used to repair it are but suffice it to say the problem was the battery. I will be in the water in two weeks and of course I hope my computer problems are over. But if I do have problems again I know I will be taken care of. :)

My Cobalt also went in to AA for repair. A battery replacement job. 17 days including shipping both ways. Very happy to have it back but it'll be a while now before I take the analog SPG back off my reg. Thanks for your help Ron and also to Atomic techs for a (relatively) fast return.

Hoping it would come back with a nice official case/bag but no luck.

Jim

OK, folks, here is my summary of my experience with the Cobalt after a recent trip with 23 dives in 5 days on a liveaboard. Of note: this is my 2nd unit - the hose connector broke out of the case on the 1st one, and the down button was quite erratic. On the 2nd unit, the back button is slightly erratic.

PROS:
1. Very nice, backlit screen, easy to read.
2. Contains all important information, laid out very well.
3. Intuitive menu system.

CONS:
1. HP hose connector feels flimsy, I can post a video to explain if necessary.
2. Audio alarms are unreliable / not loud enough: they need to be louder / distinctive / customizable
3. Still got 2 minor scratches on the screen through the screen protector from coral.

My suggestions:
1. Improve the audio alarms ASAP and in such a way that it can be retrofitted for early owners.
2. Add options for 90degree and 120 degree bearings onto the compass menu [ this should be easy to do and was mentioned by another previous poster ].
3. Improve the quick connector system [ not as secure / solid as say, the Suunto example ]

Other than the above, I will need to find a reliable way to secure the Cobalt, perhaps on a retractable clip, to prevent it falling ouf my BCD where it was tucked in.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom