Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a new Cobalt 2 weeks ago and I like what I see so far, easy to use and understand. But since I got the Cobalt I been looking on their website for the program to download the divelog and it says that it's temporarily unavailable, so before finding and reading this thread today (read the first 100 and last 100 posts) I called Atomic about the Cobalt Divelog Program for Windows, they told me that it's not going to be available for a FEW WEEKS. I also have a trip coming up soon (going to Brazil) and want to make sure I have everything up to date and be able to download the divelog.

I purchased a new Cobalt 2 weeks ago and I like what I see so far, easy to use and understand. But since I got the Cobalt I been looking on their website for the program to download the divelog and it says that it's temporarily unavailable, so before finding and reading this thread today (read the first 100 and last 100 posts) I called Atomic about the Cobalt Divelog Program for Windows, they told me that it's not going to be available for a FEW WEEKS. I also have a trip coming up soon (going to Brazil) and want to make sure I have everything up to date and be able to download the divelog.

Glad you like the Cobalt. The reason the Windows software is missing has to do with the firmware update function, not the dive logging. If you got your Cobalt in the last couple of weeks it is almost certainly up to date as to the firmware- anything from 1.12 on is current, with no reason to update to a newer version. You can check what version you have on the System Info screen. See my post above for a link to the version history page.

I don't know where the "several weeks" comment came from- as of last week they were testing out what was supposed to be a release version- but I'm going to ask why you were told that. In the meantime, a couple of thoughts:
1) The Cobalt holds about 600 hours of diving in non-volatile memory at the default 30 second sample storage rate- so you are not likely to lose anything. I understand that many divers want to download their dives so as to add comments, photos, etc. In that respect the Atomic software (like other "free" software form other computer manufacturers) is likely to be a disappointment and maybe not worth waiting for.
2) Atomic has fully supported 3rd party dive log developers for the Cobalt- something no other major manufacturer has done, and for which they deserve credit. Diving Log Diving Log 5.0 - scuba logbook software for diver - dive log, scuba log for Windows and MacDive MacDive for the Mac currently offer Cobalt Download capability, and others are on the way. These are inexpensive, full featured programs that do far more than any "free" manufacturer suppled software, including allowing you to keep gear lists, maps (Google earth tie-in), photos, buddy lists, notes, etc. The programs are frequently updated, they work with most computers, and the developers are very responsive and deserve support for what they do. In the long run you will likely be happier with one of these programs.
If you want to try the Atomic program for logging, and it's not up very soon, PM me and I'll send you a copy of the most recent version I have.

Brazil sounds nice...

Ron

Glad you like the Cobalt. The reason the Windows software is missing [...]
Brazil sounds nice...

I'm willing to bet this is the very last time Atomic tries to offer an outside vendor's bolt-on software with one of their products :wink:

Does anyone know if the drivers for the dive log program are supposed to work with 64-bit Windows Vista? I downloaded the program last night. After installing it my entire USB system is broken. Microsoft support says this can happen if you install drivers that are not designed for 64-bit versions of Windows.

Dan

Does anyone know if the drivers for the dive log program are supposed to work with 64-bit Windows Vista? I downloaded the program last night. After installing it my entire USB system is broken. Microsoft support says this can happen if you install drivers that are not designed for 64-bit versions of Windows.

Dan
We have been using them with several systems running 64 bit Windows 7 without problems.

Ron

As might be apparent from the comments above, Atomic has posted updated software to the website. This does include a Mac flash tool for updating the Cobalt that works under the Lion (10.7x) MacOS. On the MAc side there are two versions, one for Lion, and one for earlier (10.5- 10.6) versions of OSX.
Ron

I got a problem, I did the update, followed all the instructions on the website, now the Cobalt doesn't come back on. I tried following the instructions for the recovery and it says that there is a connection problem, but everything is connected properly. What should I do ??

I got a problem, I did the update, followed all the instructions on the website, now the Cobalt doesn't come back on. I tried following the instructions for the recovery and it says that there is a connection problem, but everything is connected properly. What should I do ??
What type of system and OS are you using to update- Windows or Mac, and what version? Did you see the "Connected" message on the Cobalt prior to starting the update process? Were you using the most recent version of the update program from the Atomic site, or an older one? If the update was interrupted for some reason in process, it may mean that there is no firmware in the Cobalt- if that is the case, it will be necessary to remove the battery before reloading the firmware. I can send you instructions for this if you PM me with an email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom