Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has any one had any 'issues' with the Cobalt Dive Log for Windows? Here is what I am discovering so far. On down load from the DC all the dives are down loaded every time, suggest an option to download all or just the new information as this could get time consuming as more dives are logged on the DC. In my situation (don't know if others have experienced this) after downloading, the list of dives has the newest on top, followed by the oldest dive recorded by the DC and there's no way to reorder the list - eg: dive 21, 22, 19,20, 1,2,3, etc..

Yes I see the same thing. Somewhat annoying. I hope a fix will be on the list for a future update.

Last edited:
Just finished installing the Firmware update which according to the website and the filename is 1.11_4. Everything seemed to go fine, the Cobalt came back up with the Time/Date screen as expected. However, the System Information screen shows the DiveOS as 1.11/1. Does this mean the new firmware /4 didn't install? Or, is the new firmware just displaying the wrong version information?

Also, would be helpful to have a list of what is fixed or changed in each firmware update. If the firmware isn't changing or fixing something I consider significant, I might decide to wait for the next firmware update rather than risk a possible problem during flash of the current file.

Just finished installing the Firmware update which according to the website and the filename is 1.11_4. Everything seemed to go fine, the Cobalt came back up with the Time/Date screen as expected. However, the System Information screen shows the DiveOS as 1.11/1. Does this mean the new firmware /4 didn't install? Or, is the new firmware just displaying the wrong version information?

Also, would be helpful to have a list of what is fixed or changed in each firmware update. If the firmware isn't changing or fixing something I consider significant, I might decide to wait for the next firmware update rather than risk a possible problem during flash of the current file.

You have the correct firmware version, which is 1.11. The _4 is just an internal reference, and really shouldn't have been included in the file name of the upload. In the System Info screen the 1.11 refers to the firmware version and the /1 refers to the boot code version, which is not something that can be changed by the end user.

I agree about the list of changes, and will try to get that established. The changes from 1.10 to 1.11 had to do mostly with German language, for instance, although there was a correction to a problem that could come up if one selected a 90 second sample storage rate.

Ron

re. # 8, logging the temperature before starting a dive would be possible, but my sense is it would be pretty unreliable- if the computer sits in the sun it will heat up quite a lot, if one rests on the surface prior to descent you would end up with the surface water temperature rather than air temperature. We sample and store surface pressure on an ongoing basis, so we have the last ambient pressure reading before a dive saved, it would be possible to keep the last temperature reading as well, I'll look into it.
Ron

My Uwatec records the air temperature near the start of the dive. Despite the shortcomings I think that is a good thing.

Using the Cobalt Logbook under Windows XP if I choose show point values. The point value always has the date 1/1/2010. Even though the date is correct on the computer and in other fields in the log book.

Has anyone dove with the new firmware installed? I noticed that the problems I had with status messages has been corrected; hover I noticed that the ascent rate indicator was very sensitive.
The depth is being updated at a very slightly faster rate and so might seem more responsive, but that will not make any difference as to ascent rate violations. They only kick in if you exceed a safe rate for10 seconds- that has not changed. You might see a warning, but a violation will not log unless you keep up a rapid ascent for at least 10 seconds.

I am far from a power computer user, but I think I stumbled through the update process. The Cobalt shows v1.11/1 as the DiveOS. I can also locate the dive log on my PC, but all I see is a tabular listing by dive number with the specifics of the dive in various columns. That's it...no graphs, profiles, or anything special. Have I missed something or is that all there is? I expected larger versions of the graphs/profiles that appear on the Cobalt.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this has been covered, but I didn't want to search 52 pages of posts. Well, I guess it would be less pages, since the updates are relatively recent.

... all I see is a tabular listing by dive number with the specifics of the dive in various columns. That's it...no graphs, profiles, or anything special. Have I missed something or is that all there is?
Click on the "Serial #" in the LH panel, you should see your dives listed below the computer serial #. Click on any individual dive in the LH panel, you should see the graphic representation of that dive to the top right. The bottom RH panel has two tabs for displaying different information.

Thank you Ron. Candidly, I did not have the dives showing in the left panel until I reread your post. They were in the lower right panel and simply provided the data. I had to click on the "+" beside the serial number in the left panel to display them on the left side. After doing that, all of the data was available in graphical form by clicking on the desired dive and selecting which data to display.

Thank you for the assistance.

Ron - thank you so much for making yourself available here and being so responsive!

I haven't updated the firmware yet (I'll be doing that soon), so if any of these issues have been addressed already, my apologies - along with the fact that all of my suggested changes here have in all likelihood already been brought up I apologize for any redundancy, I just don't have time to read through all 52 pages of this thread!

Anyway... For the most part I really love this machine. It's very easy to use for the most part and extremely easy to read while diving. There are only a few changes I'd like to see:

1) Calibrating the compass - I really don't like the process of manually pushing the buttons upside down while its in the box? It seems like it should just give audible cues to flip the thing over and turn it, and just on it's body - so people don't have to bring a carboard box (that will wear out over time) with them when traveling. Given the shape, that might not be doable though.

2) Make it easier to dial in a heading. When I have the Cobalt pointed at my heading and I press the button to set the heading, I *always* get something like 10-20 degrees off my intended heading. On the screen where it states "Set Bearing Line to xx degrees...yes=SELECT No=Back", you should be able to fine tune the heading using the up/down arrows.

3) Add the ability to set a second heading to make triangulation simple (myself I'd allow up to 3 headings, one for each of the right, up and down buttons - the back button obviously turns off the compass).

4) In the log, I'd like to see the interval time between each dive, at least if they've been done on the same day. Though I wouldn't want to clutter the log screens either. Just a nice-to-have.

And I agree with at least several other posters that I've seen mention a protective case would be a welcome addition!

Thanks for your receptiveness to suggestions and your support!

-Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom