Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alt

How did you do the manual update? I tried your same strategy of downloading v. 1.17 from the Mac side and inserting the .zip folder containing the .hex file into the hexfile folder in the Atomic ProgramData folder on my C drive, where it resides alongside the similar folders for 1.12 and 1.13. However, when I open the LogBook program, I still see only the latter two hex files listed.

Unzip the file into the correct folder and then start the desktop software. it should appear in the list.

Unzip the file into the correct folder and then start the desktop software. it should appear in the list.
Got it, and thanks! The key is to make sure that the file Cobalt_117_EndUser.hex is placed in the folder C:\ProgramData\AtomicsAquatics\Cobalt-Logbook\hexfiles. Do NOT leave it in the folder C:\ProgramData\AtomicsAquatics\Cobalt-Logbook\hexfiles\Cobalt_117_EndUser.hex.zip. You have to move the .hex file out of this folder into its parent folder. If you've installed previous versions (e.g., 1.12 or 1.13), you'll see a similar set of .hex files in these versions in the parent folder.

I have two of my most recent dives showing a maximum depth on the depth profile at around 1500 feet.

Seems like this was simply some kind of data transfer problem. After some messing around I was able to get the correct data downloaded.

Has anyone successfully downloaded their dives to a Windows computer with 1.17 firmware? I have not been able to do that and so I changed back to the 1.12 firmware and the download is working again.

The error I get is

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

It shows up when the Windows computer displays the download of the second dive. I've swapped firmware back and forth a number of times and the problem reproducible on my set up.

Wow, I've had my Cobalt for a year now and I have switched over to Macdive for the last 20-30 logged dives with no "noticeable" issues and I currently have the 1.17 firmware installed (what a beat down of a process that was). Now I get an email about the firmware problem with the leap year crud for Mac users. I wish this would end too, it's constantly something that's wrong or was missed or a glitch just big enough to require complete restructuring of the firmware.

If you have the 1.17 firmware installed you have already fixed the leap year display issue. Installing the current firmware is one of the fixes, the other is to just manually change the date after March 1.

It didn't require but a slight change to the firmware to correct that particular error, but we need to replace the firmware in the Cobalt in order to make any change at all- that's just the nature of these sort of systems, and we were ready to go with a new version with some enhancements. Regular firmware updates allow us to respond to user feature requests and offer improvements, as well as fix any issues that turn up.

Not sure what you mean about the Mac users, except that firmware updating is not working reliably in Apple's new Lion operating system. That's an issue we have been trying to get help with from Apple, but without much success.

So far as I can tell, MacDive and Diving Log 5.0 are working well for pretty much everyone. The Atomic Windows software, OTOH, has had many issues with varying Windows systems. That was 3rd party product, and for those of you who have followed this thread all along, you know our (the Cobalt designers) recommendation was for Atomic to not offer their own dive log software, but to rely on people like Nick from MacDive and Sven of Diving Log who are dedicated to developing and supporting a good solution.

We are working on a new method for updating firmware that will take all the various desktop operating system variations out of the picture, those issues have been about 98% of the problems we have experienced.

Ron

Last edited:
Will it ever end?

I have a lot of concerns regarding this software.

The ongoing problem I am battling with is this. I have rarely been able to download my dives from the Cobalt at the first attempt. On average the download process is 50% successful. Tonight it seems 10% successful.

<snip>

I have a competing company's much less expensive computer as my "back up". I never have a problem with that software. And if I forget to put the "back up" computer into the right time zone, I can fix the date and times for the dives easily. I could go on and on, but out of respect for you Ron (and Darcy), I'll spare you........

You and Darcy do an amazing job for Atomic, thank-you both; I am very grateful for all of the excellent support. For a while I decided not to post about this (hoping it would go away). However I changed my mind tonight and have decided that finding and posting a solution may be the best idea as I may not be the only person battling with this.

No one is more frustrated with the desktop software than me- I know we made Cobalt different than other computers because we use "real" USB instead of serial, and Cobalt maintains a more sophisticated structure, but I don't hear complaints from users of Diving Log 5.0 or MacDive. Any users of those programs want to speak up? I know other 3rd party developers are moving to support Cobalt directly.

As you know, we don't have anything to do with the desktop software, I will forward the issues on.

Ron

....and now with the latest logbook installed (and the 1.17 firmware) I have two of my most recent dives showing a maximum depth on the depth profile at around 1500 feet. The profile shows up correctly on the Cobalt but under Windows the profile (not the Maximum depth number) shows I was at 1500 feet. I am alive without the bends, neither me or my cobalt were at 1500 feet.

I've been out of town, and am trying to work through responses to this thread, so I apologize for delay and duplication.

If the Dive log software is showing data that is different from the data in the Cobalt's internal log- the source, it's a problem with the Windows data transfer. Maybe trying again, or with another system?

Ron

RonR, How do i stop the Cobalt from thinking i have started a 2nd, 3rd, etc dive when i am in shallow water? I did a dive the other day in really shallow water, where i was on the surface alot and the Cobalt decided i had done 25 dives.
The RGBM algorithm Atomic uses defines a dive end according to specific parameters- if you are shallower than 2' for >2 minutes, it will log the previous dive as ending. That part is a given by the algorithm. New dives begin at various time/ depth combinations to try to avoid triggering a new dive unless you really are descending. But it's hard to fit all possible scenarios, and particularly for shallow, sawtooth profiles, it's hard to come up with a schema. What we have looked at is a way to concatenate such dives after the fact in the log so they appear as a sequence. I wish I could give you a better answer.

Ron

Seems like this was simply some kind of data transfer problem. After some messing around I was able to get the correct data downloaded.

Has anyone successfully downloaded their dives to a Windows computer with 1.17 firmware? I have not been able to do that and so I changed back to the 1.12 firmware and the download is working again.

The error I get is

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

It shows up when the Windows computer displays the download of the second dive. I've swapped firmware back and forth a number of times and the problem reproducible on my set up.
Michael,

Michael,
Can you give me information on the Windows version where you see this- that will help me go to the developer with the issue. We have not had problems downloading dives with Win7 here, and I know others have been doing it with various versions. There isn't any obvious reason the firmware in the Cobalt should make a difference, but clearly it's triggering something.

Ron

No one is more frustrated with the desktop software than me- I know we made Cobalt different than other computers because we use "real" USB instead of serial, and Cobalt maintains a more sophisticated structure, but I don't hear complaints from users of Diving Log 5.0 or MacDive. Any users of those programs want to speak up? I know other 3rd party developers are moving to support Cobalt directly.

As you know, we don't have anything to do with the desktop software, I will forward the issues on.

Ron

I imagine you are frustrated. However it is our money that was invested in a dive computer that is a struggle to maintain. I am not a happy camper!

You are entirely correct that the, at least in my experience, the divelog 5.0 software is very good. It works with the Cobalt well. That said; the problem is that the Cobalt is continuing to have firmware problems cropping up that require updating. And that CAN NOT be done with the DiveLog software!

SOOOO I then have to change my USB drivers so I can communicate with the DC using the Cobalt PITA software. Then that Garbage won't download the update so I have to manually download it and put it where it needs to be to get the update installed in the DC.

I am running the latest version of 64 bit Windows 7, on a HP computer that is only about 6 months old. I KNOW what I am doing so operator error is not so likely and have been through updating the firmware several times as I bought mine very early on. (Like firmware version 1).

This time I started by uninstalling the Cobalt log book software then I reinstalled it after rebooting to the current V1.5.7.0. I then downloaded the Firmware via. The download utility within the LogBook software and it would not show up. I ended up having to manually download the zip file from the Mac page and unzip the file and place the .hex file back into the proper location. Then it showed and allowed me to finally update the DC. Now I can change back to the DiveLog 5.0 USB drivers so I can use that Logbook to log my dives. WHICH I now had to edit thanks to the last Date problems that still have not been addressed. Word is that they may be but I would have to send the DC back to Atomic and be without it while they fix those logs to correct the dates! When might that happen?? When spring comes and the dive season here up north is finally started again??

Ron I am sorry to dump on you. I know you are not with the company but I am afraid that if I called them I would be less than friendly and that would not be fair to the receptionist. I doubt anyone of authority would be interested in talking to me. I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The LogBook seems to be downloading something ... the download bar moves across and it says "Download Completed". However, I can't figure out what it downloaded or where it put it!!

Looking in the C:\ProgramData\AtomicsAquatics\Cobalt-Logbook\hexfiles folder you detailed, only the older hexfiles are there. But, I downloaded from the Mac side, manually put both the .zip and then unzipped the hex file into that directory. Even then the new hexfile didn't appear in the list!!! I had to close the Logfile program and re-start it in order to get it to "see" the new file I put there

Hate buggy programs that are inadequately tested before release :( - I'd suggest a group of beta testers before release to the general public.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom