Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Ron could you please send the re set info via pm to me also
thanks gb

I am looking through my dive log and see a similar issue to a previous poster. The log is for the 7th (& last dive) I did which was on 12/30/12 at 2:26PM, in the log it shows a Surface Time and No Fly Time of 0:00. The previous dive was the first of the day and it looks like good data (Surface Time, 48:35, NFT, 12:00). All the other dive logs also look to have good data in those fields.

The unit has DiveOS 1.13/2 if that helps. Should I do anything or worry about this for future use?

If you disable driver signing on windows 8 x64 then the cobalt drivers work, but you will need to manually apply them to the device through device manager after the initial installation.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

<snip>
Will send you a PM for the hard reset. I was thinking the battery would eventually drain and I could reconnect the AC power.
Still concerned that it wiped the existing firmware though and it won't restart at all.

The existing firmware is still there, otherwise the screen would be blank- and you would be able to start the update. It's supposed to switch to boot code as the first step of the update, obviously it never got there. It's hung up in a loop- we have had reports of this a few times, but honestly so far have not been able to determine the exact reason, we have never been able to directly observe it.

You are correct that eventually the battery will run down and you could generate a reset with A/C power, but there is an easier way. I sen instructions via PM for generating a hard reset by removing the battery.

Removing and reinstalling the battery should result in the Cobalt coming back up to the Time and Date screen. After that you can try the update again. Keep me posted.

Ron

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

I am looking through my dive log and see a similar issue to a previous poster. The log is for the 7th (& last dive) I did which was on 12/30/12 at 2:26PM, in the log it shows a Surface Time and No Fly Time of 0:00. The previous dive was the first of the day and it looks like good data (Surface Time, 48:35, NFT, 12:00). All the other dive logs also look to have good data in those fields.

The unit has DiveOS 1.13/2 if that helps. Should I do anything or worry about this for future use?
It is nothing to worry about. It's a known bug that will only show up at the end of the year, and it's been corrected. The next firmware update (which we hope will be posted very soon) fixes it. Deco calculations are all happening correctly, but the surface time and no-fly time are not displaying for those dives.

Be sure to manually update your date before diving, as related to this the Cobalt will not automatically advance the year- also fixed in the next update. Otherwise the Cobalt will default to very conservative settings, and assume no surface interval after the last dive.

Ron

The existing firmware is still there, otherwise the screen would be blank- and you would be able to start the update. It's supposed to switch to boot code as the first step of the update, obviously it never got there. It's hung up in a loop- we have had reports of this a few times, but honestly so far have not been able to determine the exact reason, we have never been able to directly observe it.

You are correct that eventually the battery will run down and you could generate a reset with A/C power, but there is an easier way. I sen instructions via PM for generating a hard reset by removing the battery.

Removing and reinstalling the battery should result in the Cobalt coming back up to the Time and Date screen. After that you can try the update again. Keep me posted.

Ron

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

It is nothing to worry about. It's a known bug that will only show up at the end of the year, and it's been corrected. The next firmware update (which we hope will be posted very soon) fixes it. Deco calculations are all happening correctly, but the surface time and no-fly time are not displaying for those dives.

Be sure to manually update your date before diving, as related to this the Cobalt will not automatically advance the year- also fixed in the next update. Otherwise the Cobalt will default to very conservative settings, and assume no surface interval after the last dive.

Ron

Ron - Thanks for the clarification and also the quick replies. It's great to have a resource such as yourself available though this method.

Eric

It's not a normal user function, but there is a way.
I sent you the instructions for this via PM. This is an irrevocable deletion of the entire log, so be sure it's really what you want.

Ron

Hello Ron,
I have nothing bad to say about the Cobalt as of now that is much significance. Only trouble I have encountered is sometimes when I am getting ready to dive the screen will not go bright until I get it wet even when the enter button is hit. It's inconvenient sometimes but it all seems to clear up once I get it wet. The enter (or right button) seems to work great otherwise. Recommended that a friend of mine get one. The UI is great and exactly what I wanted as a newer diver. I am glad that the UI isn't as cryptic as others I have seen!

Could you send me the same instructions via PM. Thanks!!!

It is nothing to worry about. It's a known bug that will only show up at the end of the year, and it's been corrected. The next firmware update (which we hope will be posted very soon) fixes it.
Ron

...but we've been waiting for a year for a fix!

I'm not worrying; I'm just shaking my head in despair, and muttering things under my breath. My hoped for list goes beyond this long overdue software fix.

I really wonder whether I am doing you and Atomic's great customer service people any favors by exercising restraint, and not posting my entire Cobalt history on this thread.

I love Atomic, and the Cobalt (seriously, you guys make one that has bungiee mounts for the wrist and no AI, and I'll buy two tomorrow and sell my otherwise beloved Petrel), and RonR has gone above and beyond time after time after time by providing tireless support here.

But seriously...the firmware update situation has become a bad joke.

A final version (with final version numbers for end users, not a test version) went to Atomic today. I hope it can end up on the website after the weekend. We've actually been ready to put out a new version since early last year, though we do keep adding new features and finding ways to do things slightly better. Cue the old joke that the only way to get to a final version is to shoot the engineers.

While we have been very anxious (for a long time) to get an updated version out to everyone, I also understand Atomic's unwillingness to do it more often than necessary. Whenever masses of people try to update all at once, a certain percentage of them have problems. Often these turn out to be problems with their PC, drivers, or USB connection, or something external (the best story in the last update flurry involved a lightning strike), but Atomic knows they will be the first line of support and that it will be a strain. There are many thousands of Cobalts out there now. Until recently, we didn't have a good updater that would work with the most recent Mac OS versions, and a lot of Cobalt owners use Macs. As I've said here before, Atomic is a small company- they do a great job of customer service, but resources are limited.

Any device as complex as this will have bugs- we work hard at finding and fixing them, and truly appreciate it when any you find are brought to our attention. I can only say an enthusiastic "Amen" to Shearwater's warning in their manual. Fortunately none of the issues we have found in the versions to 1.13 are serious or blocking problems, they are mostly minor display issues or typos- the worst, and certainly the most embarrassing, is the failure to update the year.

This new firmware is a major update, and we will recommend it for everyone.

Here is a partial list of feature changes in this new version:

• Modified the Divelog to improve the scaling of the profiles, so there is a less compressed view.
  • More accurate determination of dive time in Dive log profile. The two minute end of dive time is no longer being added in.
  • Implemented continuous scrolling in the Divelog Profile by holding the UP or DOWN button.
  • Added time of day display to the dive screen, alternating with temperature during dive.
  • Corrected an error concerning displaying 2/29 in a leap year.
  • Corrected an error where the year would not update after Dec. 31st.
  • Corrects a display error that would only appear on the last day of the year. This caused the surface interval to display incorrectly, but did not effect decompression calculations.
  • Changed the display such that for the last dive the surface time is the surface interval (the time between the previous dive and the last dive), as many users had requested.
  • Added French language.
  • Set the default settings for a new gas mix to be the same as are specified for the primary mix, rather than always defaulting to an 80 cf/ 12 l tank size.
  • Added two additional compass bearing choices: a triangular or a square course. The selection is made with a menu in the Set Bearing popup on the Dive Screen. The option of having only a 180° return bearing remains.

There are also a lot of very minor bug fixes and improvements to efficiency. If you have a Mac, be sure to download the new Mac firmware tool. It's much spiffier than the old one, and works with Lion and Mountian Lion.

Ron

A final version (with final version numbers for end users, not a test version) went to Atomic today. I hope it can end up on the website after the weekend.

• Added two additional compass bearing choices: a triangular or a square course. The selection is made with a menu in the Set Bearing popup on the Dive Screen. The option of having only a 180° return bearing remains.

Ron

Very nice. Thank-you. I thought I was probably the only person that wanted this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom