Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for my knowledge - when we say "sealed", this means the entire keypad assembly or only magnets being coated by sealant to prevent corrosion?

Because my unit takes a lot of water inside front cover during dives and the only protection from magnets to be corroded is a coating which seems to fail sometimes. What do you think of taking magnets off, cleaning and re-coating with silicon or epox?
The magnets are in small plastic holders, they should be sealed to those. The holders are carried in the silicone flexible keypad. That entire area is open to water, it's the sealant that protects the magnets. Atomic uses a very tough material for this, it holds up well and is now colored rather than clear. The earlier sealant they used worked well when properly applied, but it was clear. It's not that the coating failed, it's that we think that sometimes magnets got missed in production, or were insufficiently coated, because of the clear color. I'm sure there are epoxies or urethanes (but probably not silicone) that would also seal well, but it shouldn't be necessary for users to get into this unless something is wrong. And if it is, Atomic will replace the entire keypad. Hope this clarifies the issue. Most keypads are just fine.

Ron

Thank you Ron!
Wrote to Atomic asking for a replacement keypad on weekend, hope it will arrive by the time a leave for a vacation. No answer from them yet though...
In meantime took out the magnet, cleaned and re-coated it with epoxy - works fine again. Will see if will last.

My wife's brand new Cobalt late in 2011 had a dead button after 1dive so she got a new unit and box. So we have an extra hose and 4 chargers.

Just got my sons unit retuned after a non-charging issue only to be told there was no battery issue but the LDS tech told Atomic to replace the battery anyway. Maybe something got jostled in shipping to CA? Funny how the tag mentioned about checking the charger. It charged all 3 of our units perfectly fine on vacation until my sons went weird. Nice that they sent a new backplate to replace my almost ripped off dust cover that someone on the dive boat wasn't careful with. I'm happy with the service but still glad I bought 3zoop backups at the same time as the Cobalts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well folks, my Cobalt died... again ... This is the 4th time i have problems with this computer.
My first one died after 32 dives. it didn't register the dive. by the time i noticed i was at 100ft ( according to my trusty citizen aqualand dive watch) . it simply sat there telling me i was at 0 ft ... and then it eventually shut down.
As i was doing mulitple consecutive days of 4 dives a day i had to sit for 24 hours at the surface before i could even switch to another computer. And then i had to rent another computer... So i lost 2 days of diving at a cost of 300$ a day .. Atomic was so nice to swap the machine,but is still had to send it in at my own expense ...

Then there was the recall... i had to take it in to the store , pick it back up... ok fine.

So, this morning i was scheduled to take a dip in the local pool to check out all my gear before the upcoming big trip. I knew there was a firmware update avaialble so i figured : i got a few hours , why not do it... except the updated bricked the machine... yay. that's serious problem no3... Ron was so nice to send me instructions on how to do the battery disconnect and that worked. i didn't bother attempting to update as i was now pressed for time.

So off to the pool... and guess what. the bloody damn thing again does not register the dive. it sits there saying i am at 0 feet while both backups i carry ( my citizen watch and an oceanic divecomputer i bought as backup because of the flaky atomic...) clearly say i am at 12 feet... and after 10 minutes the atomic shuts down.

I have spent more money in lost days of diving, renting replacment gear, and shipping this thing that it costs to buy one. Way to go Atomic ! i have 3 weeks before my big trip (3 weeks of nonstop diving) .. what do i do next ? have it replaced once more and hope it doesnt die midway the trip ? Or do i just use it as a doorstop and go buy another brand ?

All my other gear is Atomic and i have had zero problems with it. In fact i absolutely love the Cobalt. it is easy to use , good readbility (especially on nightdives) , great set of features. If only they could get the mechanical problems worked out... leaky seals, buttons not working....

Ron--

Partly apropos of the post above, I'm thinking of getting an Oceanic Bud as a backup to my Cobalt. If I do, which of the algorithms in the Bud most closely matches the one used in the Cobalt?

Greetings from Little Cayman Reef Resort,

Question for Ron or anyone who has had a similar issue. Checked my gear before leaving Fl and all seemed well. This AM prepping for first dive and air is leaking at hose/computer connection. Without computer connected, no leak so when the computer is in place apparently it creates the leak.

Is this fixable by any dive shop or does it require special Atomic tools and parts?

Thankfully, I had my trusty Galileo Sol, which worked fine, but a bummer to have the high tech Cobalt and not usable .

Thanks for any help.

Greetings from Little Cayman Reef Resort,

Question for Ron or anyone who has had a similar issue. Checked my gear before leaving Fl and all seemed well. This AM prepping for first dive and air is leaking at hose/computer connection. Without computer connected, no leak so when the computer is in place apparently it creates the leak.

Is this fixable by any dive shop or does it require special Atomic tools and parts?

Thankfully, I had my trusty Galileo Sol, which worked fine, but a bummer to have the high tech Cobalt and not usable .

Thanks for any help.
This is most likely a worn O-ring, which should be fixable by any dive shop. Depending on if it's coming from the QD to hose connection or from the QD to Cobalt area (which fits what you are saying) it will be different O-rings. There is a small O-ring on a male stud inside the QD fitting that fits into the Cobalt's side of the QD. Atomic uses rings that are a bit harder than the standard durometers, but in a pinch standard ones will work. Atomic does recommend annual maintenance on these parts, I believe.

Ron

---------- Post added May 26th, 2013 at 11:12 PM ----------

Ron--

Partly apropos of the post above, I'm thinking of getting an Oceanic Bud as a backup to my Cobalt. If I do, which of the algorithms in the Bud most closely matches the one used in the Cobalt?
I have been in contact with the poster above, and we determined that he has a LP sensor that has failed. When readings are bad, the Cobalt locks out the sensor and won't display depth.

Regardless of computer, it's a good idea to have a simple, basic backup, at least on any big trip where equipment failure would be a major disruption.

As to the algorithms, it's difficult to say- what matches fairly well in a shallow, single dive no-deco time sense- giving similar no stop times- might not fit in a multi-day diving scenario, or with deco diving, or with deeper dives. They aren't simple functions, so different types of diving profiles will fit in differing ways. In general, the shallower the dive, the more apparent differences there will be in terms of no-stop times. Differences tend to seem more extreme in shallower, longer dives, because we treat deco/ no deco as a binary function when in reality is is a gradually increasing slope- very gradually increasing at shallow depths. So on shallower dives even a slight divergence in the algorithm conservatism can translate into many minutes more or less of no-deco time. The same computers might show much less difference- in minutes of no-deco time- at deeper depths. That probably accounts for some of the subjective differences in experience of how conservative a particular computer is.

The best way to answer your questions would be to use the simulator program on the Cobalt to map out dive profiles similar to those you would be following, and do the same on a simulator for the other computer.

Ron

To Ron or anyone with info,

Regarding the above post regarding a leaking hose at the QD end, the dive shop replaced the O ring, but the leak continues.

Where can I purchase a replacement and a spare? Can't seem to find them on sites that sell the computer.

Thanks

Give scubatoys a call seems like they carry a good inventory of atomic parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

To Ron or anyone with info,

Regarding the above post regarding a leaking hose at the QD end, the dive shop replaced the O ring, but the leak continues.

Where can I purchase a replacement and a spare? Can't seem to find them on sites that sell the computer.

Thanks
I would call Atomic at 888-270-8595 and ask for a dealer in your area that can do service. You could ask them about getting spare O-rings as well. If the correct O-ring was replaced, the leak should stop- barring, of course, some other issue like a scratched sealing surface.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom