Atomic B2 (1st & 2nd stages) vs SP MK25 S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marc_Joshua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello guys and gals, I'm lookin at either of these regs to be my 1st set. I've just recently signed up for my advanced course under Naui and am considering getting my own gear as i've had worrying issues with rental gear before. Hope all of you can help me out here. Thanks a bunch!

I had quite few ScubaPro regs (MK20s, MK25s, S600s, X650s, S550,...) and sold them all, except my MK2+/R190 pony reg, and bought Atomic regulators (2 M1s, a Z1, and a SS1). I liked the way they breath, the 2 year service interval, the sealed first stages and the Automatic venturi system. ScuabPro's required annual service requirement (to keep the warranty in force) left a bad taste in my "dry" mouth.

Hello guys and gals, I'm looking at either of these regs to be my 1st set. I've just recently signed up for my advanced course under NAUI and am considering getting my own gear as I've had worrying issues with rental gear before. Hope all of you can help me out here. Thanks a bunch!

I own two Atomic B2 regulators (wife's and mine) and one ScubaPro MK25SA/S600 regulator (daughter's).

The MK25SA/S600 used to be my regulator before my daughter got certified. It is a good regulator. It became my daughter's regulator when she got certified and I picked up the Atomic B2 which is environmentally sealed and has the swivel hose attached to the first stage.

My wife got certified after my daughter and we bought her an Atomic B2 regulator.

The service interval for Atomic regulators is every two years or 300 dives (whichever comes first). The ScubaPro maintenance is every year but they provide free parts if your service interval never goes longer than 13 months.

We ended up buying an Atomic swivel hose for my daughter's MK25SA/S600 regulator.

All three regulators are used in conjunctions with an Atomic SS1 which is a combined inflater and safe second.

If your LDS services the Atomic I would get the Atomic B2. IF you are going to spend your life in remote places around the world then you might want to go with the ScubaPro since it might be easier to get it serviced.

Let me know if any of this post is confusing.

I'm from Singapore and i don't know exactly which LDS is a dealer for atomic thus I'm left with a problem... I tried the atomic website but it doesn't say if there are dealers for their products here in Singapore. So am I better off with using scubapro as there are more LDS which carry and service their products?

Hello guys and gals, I'm lookin at either of these regs to be my 1st set. I've just recently signed up for my advanced course under Naui and am considering getting my own gear as i've had worrying issues with rental gear before. Hope all of you can help me out here. Thanks a bunch!

The SP MK25 is a great breather,but ask yourself what kind of diving am i going to do.
If cold water is in the picture you would be better off with the SP MK17/G250V,then your covered ice and warm water.
ScubaPro's has a worldwide service network.
But atomic is a great reg ,Hard choice.
the good thing is ,no matter what you choose you win!:D:D:D

I second ronbeau's opinion. If local service is available, go with Atomic. For a lot of traveling and/or to remote places, go with Scubapro.

I just added a B2 to my inventory alongside Apeks ATX50. My personal preference is Atomic as well.

the Atomic B2 which is environmentally sealed and has the swivel hose attached to the first stage.

Let me know if any of this post is confusing.

The Atomic B2 is not environmentally sealed unless you had the tech at your LDS specifically customize it for you. The Atomic M1 comes environmentally sealed.

The functional design of the SP regs and the Atomic regs are very similar...like Chevy and GMC.

I'm from Singapore and i don't know exactly which LDS is a dealer for atomic thus I'm left with a problem... I tried the atomic website but it doesn't say if there are dealers for their products here in Singapore.

From the Atomic website:
Under Dealers, International is the first option in the pull-down.

Wikiki Dive Centre (Authorized Service Center)
Block 462 Crawford Lane #01-45
Singapore 190462
Tel 62911290
Fax 62942146

Bought a B1 back in 2004. I'm still using it up to now. My problem is that the rubber purge button cracked and completely gave way after about 40 dives (2 years). I've asked around, and this seems to be the problem for B1 users here in the Philippines. I had to order online and have the replacement part shipped to me from the US. So if you're from Singapore, I would suggest you go with Scubapro, because I was told that it was the sun and weather that caused the cracking.

I'm from Singapore and i don't know exactly which LDS is a dealer for atomic thus I'm left with a problem... I tried the atomic website but it doesn't say if there are dealers for their products here in Singapore. So am I better off with using scubapro as there are more LDS which carry and service their products?
If you are from Singapore, the Scubapro parts for life program doesn't apply to you. That's something they do in the US in order to get people to buy from authorized dealers (and more to the point, at authorized dealer prices).

I'd be more concerned about buying regs that might be hard to get serviced locally (even if it is only every other year). Four and a half million people in Singapore and only one Atomics dealer? Hmmm...

If environmental sealing is important to you, the Scubapro MK17 has a sealed diaphram design that doesn't have to be packed with Christolube like the Atomics. IIRC, Singapore is almost on the equator so, depending on the water temps where you dive, environmentally sealed regs may be a non-issue. It would be interesting to find how many of the Scubapro shops in Singapore stocked the MK17s vs. the MK25s, compared to more temperate parts of the world.

Back
Top Bottom