Atomic Z2 or Oceanic GT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am having the hardest time deciding on new dive gear. These are two I am looking at and would love any input into either one or both.
Trying to get a good set without breaking the bank.
Our gear is very old and time to retire it. We are only able to do one dive trip a year so I just want something good and reliable..
Thanks for any input...

Started out with the GT3. It is a good regulator. Dove with it for a year with no problems. I recently upgraded to the Atomic B2 - now that I love. The swivel is fantastic. The GT3 has gone to my son.

So would you have purchased a GT3 again....
Not sure what the dif between Atomic B2 or Z2

The GT3 is less expensive but a very fine reg. I wanted to move up to the B2 because of jaw fatigue. The B2 breathes just a little easier but it is really very slight. I have two GT3's. Take a look at the Atomic site Atomic Aquatics B2 Regulator to see the difference between the Z and the B - it is primarily in the finishes. And yes - I would buy it again.

My wife loves her Z2x. I gave it to her for her birthday a year ago. No issues so far but I wouldn't expect any.

I've used it a couple of times, when she wasn't looking lol, and found it breathes as well as my T2x.

i would have to go with atomic, they are just one of the best. but i were to choose other than the two mentioned i will go with HOG/edge.

I would also have to say Atomic.. I have several and never had any problems. I would however get the Z2x. It has the swivel for the second stage.

Thanks for the replies so far....

I have a few gt3/cdx5 regulators that have never let me down. Easy to service and priced right.

I am having the hardest time deciding on new dive gear. These are two I am looking at and would love any input into either one or both.
Trying to get a good set without breaking the bank.
Our gear is very old and time to retire it. We are only able to do one dive trip a year so I just want something good and reliable..
Thanks for any input...

I'm a huge Atomic fan myself (I dive the M1's). Right now the Atomic Z2 is at a promotion price of $390. The difference between the Z2 & B2 is the B2 has a swivel on the 2nd stage as well as on the 1st stage thus the price difference!

AA-Z2Yoke-2T.jpg

Atomic Aquatics Z2

The difference between the Z2 & the GT3 is that the Atomic has a Piston 1st stage with a Pneumatically Balanced (uses air pressure) second stage. Whereas the GT3 has a Balanced Diagram 1st stage with a Mechanically Balanced (uses a spring) 2nd stage.

We are also an Oceanic Dealer and the GT3 is a very reliable reg as well.

40.3412.07-2T.jpg

Oceanic GT 3 Regulators

Both of these companies are solid and stand behind their regs. There are some design differences which does give you the longer Service Interval with the Atomic. Atomic recommends servicing every 2 years or 300 dives, which ever comes first.

I hope this didn't complicate things, again, my vote = Atomic Z2

Let me know if I can help you with this or if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom