Atomic z2 or SP s550 mk16?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
Here we go. I have owned the s550-r190-mk16 for about 10 years now and never had a problem, its been great. I recently got an increadable deal on an atomic z2 set so I went ahead and purchased it.

I'm not currently diving doubles but will in the next few years so here's my question.

Scubapro: Do I keep the s550/mk 16 and get another mk16 down the road when I venture to doubles? I'd also like to ditch my r190 octo with a higher end 2nd primary either another s550 or s600 etc. So in the future I'll end up buying those two items.

Atomic: the set I got was two 1st stages and 2 z2 second stages so I'd already be setup for doubles in the future and have two quality 2nd stages which is more ideal to me. so I'm completely good to go.

Is there a reason to go the scubapro route or will the atomic do just as well? I'm mostly diving pacific northwest cold water, drysuit bp/wing.

Whatever route I go the "other" set will be given to my brothers son to upgrade his setup.

Last edited:
Z2, hands down, as long as you can get the hose routing you like on doubles.
Plus you can seal the first stages for cold water. Plus the seconds are better. Plus Atomic is more responsive if you have a problem. Plus...

@rhwestfall , what's your specific concern about the 550 in cold? Just interested...

Not enough metal. I own a 555 converted to a 600 with a metal barrel, but in no way feel it is good for my cold Great Lakes diving. Freeze flow potential with the small thermal mass inside it. It is my "summer reg" in the St. Lawrence where temps are constant, and warm.

Just my opinion, YMMV

Z2, hands down, as long as you can get the hose routing you like on doubles.
Plus you can seal the first stages for cold water. Plus the seconds are better. Plus Atomic is more responsive if you have a problem. Plus...

@rhwestfall , what's your specific concern about the 550 in cold? Just interested...

Stop recommending Atomic...I'm starting to feel an itch....

I have 3 Z2’s and an ST1 had an M1, second stages are all basically the same, all use the same service kits, an atomic fan. Also like scubapro, the least cold tolerant part of my dive gear is me.

Awesome, I can't thank ya'll enough for the recommendations. I kinda figured but sentimental value of the Scubapro setup had me on the edge, but up to craigslist it goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom