Attaching a short-hose necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehuber

Contributor
Reaction score
I bought some bungee for a short-hose necklace and was wondering what size 'ties' are used to connect the mouthpiece to the 2nd stage? I've seen lots of pictures of the necklace setup, but none that broke it down with specifics like bungee size, plastic tie sizes, etc.

If there's a link to a "how to" I'd appreciate it.

I was always told. Measure Bungee about 2 ft and make a circle with the bungee and overlap the ends by appx 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Place a zip tie at each end of the overlap forming a loop to place around your mouthpiece. Burn the ends of the bungee so that it doesnt unravel

You can adjust the sizing for your personal comfort, rule of thumb says it should leave the regulator at appx your chin.

This sounds like a different method. The necklace style I was referring to had knots on the ends of the bungee looped under the plastic tie that holds the mouthpiece on the second stage.

I use a zip tie that is about the same size as the one that was holding the mouth piece on. Of course if it isn't long enough, use a longer/larger size. Be sure to secure the zip tie- I don't think it's possible to over-tighten, but it is possible to under-tighten. :D

I use 1 piece of bungee and no ties - look on wikipedia for "Double Fisherman's Knot" and tie one of those on each side of the reg mouthpiece. I believe compudude posted a picture of his knots on a thread somewhere, lets see if I can fetch it...

Can't find it on the board, archive pics may be down, but try this animation.

Thats how I have mine, with the reg mouthpiece between the two knots.

Surelyshirly:
I was always told. Measure Bungee about 2 ft and make a circle with the bungee and overlap the ends by appx 2 - 2 1/2 inches. Place a zip tie at each end of the overlap forming a loop to place around your mouthpiece. Burn the ends of the bungee so that it doesnt unravel

You can adjust the sizing for your personal comfort, rule of thumb says it should leave the regulator at appx your chin.

Thats the method I use. Its quick, easy, fast to adjust and no bulky knots.

bluesbro1982:
I use 1 piece of bungee and no ties - look on wikipedia for "Double Fisherman's Knot" and tie one of those on each side of the reg mouthpiece. I believe compudude posted a picture of his knots on a thread somewhere, lets see if I can fetch it...

Can't find it on the board, archive pics may be down, but try this animation.

Thats how I have mine, with the reg mouthpiece between the two knots.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=180484&highlight=necklace+knot

I used 1/8" bungee from REI. I did the ziptie method.

So I tried using my bungee to make a necklace and followed the instructions, allowing an extra 6" extra bungee for the knots and the size of my head.

By the time I made two double fisherman's knots for the mouthpiece... the necklace ended up being too small for my girlfriend to fit her head into. So the 2 feet the instructions suggested was WAY off. It looks like maybe 3-4 feet is a better estimate for the amount of bungee required, as the necklace is probably 40% too small to use.

Guess I'll use the zip tie method. Anyone know which size zip ties to use?

Back
Top Bottom