Attaching AI transmitter to the 1st stage

How do you attach your AI transmitter to your 1st stage?

• Directly

Votes: 55 57.9%
  • With a short hose

Votes: 39 41.1%
  • Other, designate below

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Direct. 4 years like that with numerous boat charters in NC, Canada/NY, Hawaii, FL, and Cozumel/MX. Never a problem.

I do generally make a point of taking care of my gear myself. And I mount the transmitter so it is either pointing straight down, or on the left, or at a 45 degree angle. Regardless, it is not sticking straight out to the right like a tank knob. You would have to be REALLY careless or REALLY trying hard in order to grab my rig by the transmitter.

An inflator hose is a necessity (in my book). And it only has low pressure in it.

An HP hose to a transmitter is not a necessity (in my book). And it has high pressure in it. The potential failure points of the extra O-rings and the hose itself are unnecessary, so I don't want them.

I could see using a hose and a QD setup in order to make it easier to move a transmitter between reg sets (e.g. from a single tank setup to a doubles setup). But, I dealt with that by getting a 2nd transmitter and having 1 on each. All my AI computers can handle having 2 (or more) transmitters, so I have both transmitters programmed into all my computers and just have to change my computer to show me whichever transmitter I'm using.

Bonus: Having 2 transmitters means I have a backup handy in case the one I'm using dies.

I use to mount my transmitter directly. I changed my mind when I saw a boat employee (DM or Skipper) put their hand around my transmitter to use as a handle to lift my gear. This was back in the early 90s when AI wasn't as common as it is today, but it still happened. When I saw it, I yelled so loud I scared everyone on the boat including the person about to lift my gear. Fortunately, they released their grip and my transmitter was saved. Shortly thereafter I went to a 6" hose and haven't looked back. Grabbing the transmitter as a handle may not happen today, but I still use the hose. My heart can't handle that excitement again. :) YMMV

Cheers -

if you have a 5 port swivel turret, consider moving to a primary donate setup and mount your regulator sideways. Likely can't get it all the way over to 90*, but in the orientation pictured below *the way I've been diving single tanks since 2009*, you won't be able to grab the transmitter. Mine is usually over a bit farther than what is pictured, but with the transmitter angling down, there is no way to really grab onto it to lift

22829117_10159466553410134_1082948765032450816_o.jpg

if you have a 5 port swivel turret, consider moving to a primary donate setup and mount your regulator sideways. Likely can't get it all the way over to 90*, but in the orientation pictured below *the way I've been diving single tanks since 2009*, you won't be able to grab the transmitter. Mine is usually over a bit farther than what is pictured, but with the transmitter angling down, there is no way to really grab onto it to lift

View attachment 494061
E-GADS MAN! ..... WHERE are your PANTS?

I dunno, 120' is a long swim up with a problem.

A HP blow out will take many minutes to drain a cylinder (do search as someone did some timings). The biggest issue on the HP side is the spool which is probably the most neglected piece of equipment when serviced. I had a HP spool break, a few bubbles during the dive. I fixed it between dives.

I have an Oceanic 1st stage and my transmitter is mounted directly on the right side at a 45 degree angle. This places it below and angled away from the tank valve handle. My second stage hose is attached directly above the transmitter. As stuartv said about his setup, it would be difficult to get past the tank valve and 2nd stage hose to grab hold of it...you'd pretty much have to intentionally do it.

Has anyone ever had a transmitter damaged by being used as a handle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom