Attaching it all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing I admire about the pure DIR setup is the clean simple streamlined look. I'm always struggling with things dangling off my D rings like a Christmas tree.

For a cutting solution, I'd recommend the EezyCut -- I was amazed at what it would go through when I tested it, and it doesn't have a nasty rusting rivet in the middle of it, like the trauma shears do.

I have never seen an octo holder I liked. Asking something to hold something securely and give it up instantly is a lot; most solutions do one well but not both. That's part of the reason I use the longer hose/necklaced backup regulator arrangement.

Why would you not add a weight system specificall designed for the Express Tech?
These are not suspended entirerly from the webbing, but are anchored to the backplate. I think this makes them very diver friendly.
If you are a wide body the 519WS130 allows more weight carried slightly farther forward of the hip.
This is a single point release system with Zeagle's Pull to Dump Ripcord weight release handle.
If you're a lightweight, the 519WS120 puts the weight closer to the plate but still holds the tank down on your hips when horizonal.
These weight pockets have Velcro closure pull handle dumps on each, and load up through a wide zippered access.

For a "temporary" console connection you could possibly use a double ender - most consoles have a loop somewhere to clip something to it. Interestingly, the double enders I got at Lowes DO have stainless springs in them (but that was 2 years ago). If no loop on the console, you could try one of these perhaps.

52-2.jpg

It came with my wife's Aeris BC and she uses it for her console. It's not a cool as cave line and bolt snaps but it works for her :D

For the time being, because the regs/console setup are not mine, I'm going to use:

- silicone snorkel keeper for the octo attached to my right shoulder d-ring

- stainless medium snap-clip with some sort of bungee or cave line attachment to the Cressi console attached at my left should d-ring and maybe one of those hose clips to rig the high pressure hose to my left hip d-ring to keep it in tight

Gene, I like the Zip Touch system, but I just can't justify spending $80 on it. While I'd like the weight system to be integrated, short of using ~$25 worth of XS Scuba Quick Release pockets, I might just stick to a weight belt to keep costs down.

IF I had my own regs/SPG/computer, I'd do things a little differently.

Just a query re using a separate weight belt with the Zeagle ET - how do you buckle the two so as not to get confused- can you buckle the Zeagel higher than the weight belt - mine want to buckle in the same spot so thats not useful if I have to dump the belt fast. please advise - Im doing the Advanced next week and am a very new diver with new gear - learning curve steep!

I don't have an Express Tech, but on my BC I was able move the buckle around to the side (i.e. the buckle end is now shorter and the "tongue" side is longer). That way weight belt buckle is then the only buckle in the center area. Maybe you can do that on the ET?

I positioned the ET's belt buckle over to the far right on my hip and it is a left hand release.

I didn't wear a weight belt on my dives with it since I had enough in the two XS Scuba quick-ditch 5lb pockets I put on the ET's belt. I did test a separate weight belt out of the water and it would have worked fine. My weight belt is blue, so it's pretty easy to see which is which.

I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to take off the XS pockets and just use a regular weight belt for ease of doffing all of my weight by me or a buddy in am emergency.

As someone earlier suggested, go with the Zeagle weight system. It attaches to the plate and still allows the harness to move. I tried the shoulder pads and back pad and quickly removed them, they added bulk without much additional comfort. I did also add a couple of the XS Scuba trim pouches on the cam bands, it makes getting the trim right much easier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom