Avalon Harbor Cleanup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDog:
Poo Poo? I might be diving in Poo Poo this weekend? Bummer. :(

Not just poo poo. Yucky goopy gooey poo poo!! :wink:

L

Yeah, but this is winter when we should be getting our best vis. Not THIS winter due to the extreme rains! Of course that means more time to edit video- always a silver lining.

Dr. Bill

Don't forget your C-card - you will need it to check in at your dive location. Have fun, and dive safely...

I'm sitting in our room at the Pavilion Lodge in Avalon, connected to the internet. We did two dives on the Valiant this am. Reasonable vis, in a strong current. While we were doing our second dive, a group of 18 divers swam out from Descanso to do the wreck. They descended, missed the wreck and were swept out past the park. Luckily it was flat on the surface and they were able to make it to the marine park - then hike back to Descanso. The weather is beautiful. Hope to see everyone tomorrow at the clean-up.

We will drink a toast to absent friends this afternoon.

Jim/Deborah

Jim & Deborah- Pleasure to run into you all today as we entered Antonio's. I was trying to check out the AV capabilities for tomorrow. Have a good set of dives tomorrow.

Dr. Bill

Well???

How'd it go? Conditions? Any interesting finds? Anything fun happen? Do tell, people.

Ken

Harbor cleanup Sat: Vis variable from absolute 0 (zero, zip, nada) to posibly a murky 20 ft, temp 58 degrees. Low vis due largely to (1) silt deposited in Bay by rain this year (2) divers kicking up silt and (3) bat rays hammering the silty bottom for food.

Sunday: vis to 40 ft or more in dive park, temp 58-60.

Did see an angel shark sleeping on the bottom during the cleanup and videotaped it.

Dr. Bill

jlyle:
A fantastic weekend with fantastic weather for a change. Lots of divers, lots of junk, lots of fun. What happens in Avalon, stays in Avalon.

Jim (jlyle)
Especially if it involves 'Hood Rats!'

Mo2vation:
Well???

How'd it go? Conditions? Any interesting finds? Anything fun happen? Do tell, people.

Ken

Weeellll, It was sunny. Apparently, that is an unusual find for the clean-up!

Vis started out at 20-25+ at the green pier, until all the other (non-DIR) divers showed up. As if all their finning wasn't messing up the vis enough, there was the weight of the clean-up bags dragging along the bottom, too!!

It was my first clean-up and I enjoyed not only the feeling of having helped the environment, but the weekend away from my husband and kids :wink:

I found a perfectly intact mikasa plate, an ugly orange mug, a juice cup, a plastic knife, and a big stainless steel spoon. I had the entire place setting, everything but the fork!

There were a lot of Ca Wreck Divers there. They found an old radio around the old pier pilings....I know where I'm going next year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom