Average cost of OW Cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skybird:
I just read one post that said that their OW class was over the course of one weekend. I know that mine was more casual than a formal class, but I can't imagine being certified in one weekend. I know that I am just beginning and have had much more than that before certification......and I know I am not THAT slow.

SkyBird

Yes, one can get certified in a weekend. If done right, it's even not all that bad/unsafe. This assumes that one walks into the LDS with 100% course material knowledge, and can pass the test without classroom instruction (or much of it). Next into the pool for two sessions. The next assumption is that one can pass all the basic skills once in the pool.

Next day off to CO diving. This assumes there IS a good place to do CO that is within a reasonable distance of the LDS, and that the weather is good.

Four dives later, one can be certified. This is a VERY hectic schedule, but yes it is possible. Most LDS's that I've talked with about training do the process in two weekends, not one.

I did a two weekend deal, BUT as my CO dives were a few weeks apart from my Pool sessions, I was able to spend several hours in the pool before OW checkout. This really helps with Buoyancy, general familiarity with equipment, and UW comfort.

shooter226:
PADI requires you to teach to their standards. This is so a 10 year old can understand. There are no strenuous swimming involved any more either.

The militaristic teaching methods are a thing of the past! Scuba class should be a fun learning experience.

I tell ya, I have 2 kids who I hope will have an interest in scuba, as I want us to grow together as they grow up and enjoy doing things as a family.

That said, I don't want anyone to "dumb down" a class so people (and kids) are more easily able to pass. I also disagree with the relaxation of swimming skills etc. I think the classes should prepare you for the many possible negatives you can experience underwater. Comfort in the water and in stressful situations will certainly improve safety.

I have seen posts on here talking about more accidents and deaths lately. Could it be because too many are being passed that shouldn't?

Just like in life, you aren't always "good enough" for the job, basketball team, whatever. So is diving going PC? We have to pass everyone? Scary thought IMHO.

kristi hager:
I tell ya, I have 2 kids who I hope will have an interest in scuba, as I want us to grow together as they grow up and enjoy doing things as a family.

That said, I don't want anyone to "dumb down" a class so people (and kids) are more easily able to pass. I also disagree with the relaxation of swimming skills etc. I think the classes should prepare you for the many possible negatives you can experience underwater. Comfort in the water and in stressful situations will certainly improve safety.

I have seen posts on here talking about more accidents and deaths lately. Could it be because too many are being passed that shouldn't?

Just like in life, you aren't always "good enough" for the job, basketball team, whatever. So is diving going PC? We have to pass everyone? Scary thought IMHO.

I don't think that anyone is dumb down the classes. They just simplify it. Also the modern equipment eliminates the need to be a great swimmer. Yes you need to know how to swim. You don’t need to be able to swim for miles anymore. Just fill your BC and take a break.

Many people have taken up diving on vacations in warm clear water that would not have been able to 25 years ago. This is good for the sport. No they can't dive the Doria right out of class but I don't think that I would have been able to either. :shades:

robbcayman:
Just trying to get an average cost of OW cert per person? Thanks

Sorry, I just have to laugh.

Getting the OW is the cheap part.... Just wait till you start diving!
The deep blue is like a Black hole for your wallet And worth every penny.

I think my OW costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $5000 for me and the wife.

That included 2 trips to Grand Cayman to do the OW and AOW dives
First trip was hurricaned out so we sat on the beach and watched Dennis and played like the tourists that we were. Ate way too much rum cake!
Second trip worked out thank god! What an awesome time.

2 sets of gear , DC's and all.

I think the course cost me $250 per person plus books and PADI fees.
One extra BC because we mail ordered and got the wrong size
(Anyone want to buy a, used once, medium BC for $120)

Now we are on a cruise headed to wonderful exotic places to dive some more and that adds another $2000 +

Like I said, Its worth it! Really

robbcayman:
Are you on the Dave Ramsey plan paying with cash (ie boat)??
Is he that cash only guy? If so, kinda, our philosophy is (especially with toys) if you can't pay cash, you can't afford it. The ony loan we have is on our house, and that's a short term loan. Only 8 years left. When we first got married we got a little behind buying things on credit, so we just stopped. It's worked pretty well for us so far. I still charge things, actually I charge almost everything, but we pay off the cards every month. I do it for the points. I even got a new card just for my LDS, they don't take American Express and I spend so much money there I couldn't let all those possible points go to waste! Now, if they would only offer dive gear at the redeeming center life would be perfect!!!

Congrats on your decision to learn to dive. You'll have loads of fun and meet lots of new people.

Carol

Anyone know average cost in today's market? The prices here were circa '05. I'm being quoted $370 by my LDS for min 4 students which seems fair. (looking to cert my kids and some friends) I remember paying $250 in '79 which was a lot of paper route $$ at the time.

Anyone know average cost in today's market? The prices here were circa '05. I'm being quoted $370 by my LDS for min 4 students which seems fair. (looking to cert my kids and some friends) I remember paying $250 in '79 which was a lot of paper route $$ at the time.

My current LDS charges C$299 (but gear rental is not included which would add about $80 for the OW weekend) for the course run over a 5 week period (class + min 5 pool sessions)

I recall book being included as part of the class. Just want to know what is typical. I would even ask to have tank rentals be part of Open water dives as well.
Typical is a very vague word, and it all depends on the local buisiness culture. I ve had shops that quote 350 all inclusive(you dont even need to buy mask/fins/snorkel, and others that charge 199, and make you buy your own mask/fins/snorkel, pay extra for OW dives(quarry fees, boat fees), and rent your gear for OW. the latter scenario ends up costing around 850-1000 bucks, depending on how many expensive doodads they try to sell you.

When I quote a course, its all inclusive minus M/F/S. evrything else is covered in my price quote which varys with how many students and what kind of OW dives the students want to do(Boat or Quarry).

I think my OW class has cost about 10K so far.

OW class - $300
Books to read - $100
Fees and hidden costs - $100
Mask, Snorkel, fins, - $350

Peace and quiet mentally talking to a fish on your honeymoon - Priceless.

Back
Top Bottom