Average cost of OW Cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I charge 289 and that includes books and pool gear for a 32 hour course (16 pool, 16 classroom). Only extra costs are students must have their own mask, snorkel, fins and boots by checkout dive time. They must also rent their ow gear which if done thru the shop I recommend is 75 for the weekend. I will also give discounts for military(current and veterans), all law enforcement, fire, ems, and I even extend it to my local District Attorney's office and local magistrates. Criminal defense attorneys pay double (just kidding). My min is 2 students for OW. Advance classes are at the same rates listed on my website for private or semi private.

$510 PADI - $499.95 SDI - $450 PSAI
This is our fee for anyone - anytime. It is an all inclusive price. There is no need to buy gear, we provide it. Includes Classroom, Pool training and Checkout dives... also includes all gear for checkouts, quarry entrance fees, c-card processing... literally everything. You won't pay one penny more... Minimum number of students: 1

If you do decide to buy your own mask, fins, snorkel & boots from us, the class price is $450, $439.95 or $390 respectively.

You can start your class any day of the week. We have Instructors available day and evening hours. Walk in start-up's are welcome to start on the spot.

We offer very personal service. We bring the equipment to the pool and to checkouts for you... all you need to do is show up.

Cheers and Happy Diving...

Heee, this thread is four + years old!

Seems training pricing has not really gone up much in that time, but I have noticed gear prices have been going up. When the Zeagle Stiletto came on the market they retailed for just over $400. Now ScubaToys is charging $500.

Last edited:
Hi, First post here.

We just got back from Bonaire, was in the Caymans last year.

My girlfriend and I are taking the PADI course here in Wisconsin next month, $250 each includes everything except the checkoff dives. Can still do those here in June for another $50 each.

My question is if we have all our gear except tanks and fly down to say FL, how much should we expect to pay for the Check Off? Is that what is called Referral dives?

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Last edited:
You may get better response asking this question in a new thread rather than one that is five years old! :D

To answer your question, it depends! :D

If you do your checkout dive say at Lauderdale by the sea (shore diving) you may get it done on the cheap. $100+~ is a good bet.

If you do your checkout dives on a boat, like in Key Largo, you will pay the cost of the boat (generally $60 for TWO dives) + tip (tip your crew!) + cost of instruction. I'm guessing that can go anywhere from $175+.

Maybe the best thing to do is to get online, and find some dive shops!

My answers are ballpark.

Anyone know average cost in today's market? The prices here were circa '05. I'm being quoted $370 by my LDS for min 4 students which seems fair. (looking to cert my kids and some friends) I remember paying $250 in '79 which was a lot of paper route $$ at the time.

I still tell people $1000 to get certified from scratch and that does not cover travel. If they come in cheaper they are happy, but if I underestimate, I lose a customer.

$300-$500 Personal gear and stuff (mask, snorkel, fins, booties, Padded weight belt, bag, defog, slapstrap, etc... ) Everyone is different.
$295 Class and confined water
$90 (manual, log dvd)
$300 OW dives including gear Rental and cert fees

The Boynton Beach Dive Center charges $249 for the Open Water certification. You must have your own mask, snorkel and fins and a divelog; this includes about 5-6 hours of classroom and the pool session.
There is a $99 fee for the 4 dives (all from the dive boat), but that gets waived if you purchase dive gear over $500.
Classes begin on Monday and if all goes well you are certified on Sunday.

I still tell people $1000 to get certified from scratch and that does not cover travel. If they come in cheaper they are happy, but if I underestimate, I lose a customer.

$300-$500 Personal gear and stuff (mask, snorkel, fins, booties, Padded weight belt, bag, defog, slapstrap, etc... ) Everyone is different.
$295 Class and confined water
$90 (manual, log dvd)
$300 OW dives including gear Rental and cert fees

very realistic for the NE coast..

I did mine as a University Class. I think it was about $300 for tuition and extra fees. My wife is a University Hospital employee so I get a 50% discount and she got if for free. So all together it costs us $150 for both. Probably can't beat that price. And that inlcuded everything but the book, which we shared. (It did include the OW dives). And the instructors have an open policy to come back and sit in the class or jump in the pool with them anytime we want.

It would be easy to get a reasonable mask/snorkel/fins set for under $100. Buy This and get started. If you're on a budget of course. You can spend a lot more, but that should get you through open water course pretty easily.

Mine was about the cost that Lavasurfer posted but I wanted thorough personal attention. Riding motorcycles for years has taught me the value of high quality hands on training. I ended up getting my pool and classroom by Dennis McLeroy "The Kraken" and my OW with Kevin "Scubakevdm" at Underwater explorers. Cannot recommend that experience enough. I am sure there are $300 courses that get the job done and some are probably quite good, but usually you are going to get what you pay when it comes to training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom