Average Number Of Dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desert diver paul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know this is probably a question that will have way to many variables to get a decent answer, but today is the 1st anniversary of my 1st open water dive. Yesterday I logged my 82nd dive, but I don't know if this is a small or large number! There have been a 3 months in the last 12 where I didn't dive at all.

Just after other peoples thoughts and experiences!!

See you in the water...

To me it does not matter the number of dives - avg or lifetime. What matters is what you get out of your diving... :)

Averages depend on your diving habits, which are largely driven by your geography, climate, and financial access to diving. I live in Wisconsin and 5-6 months of the year are not suitable for diving, so I average about fifty dives over the six-month season.

To me it does not matter the number of dives - avg or lifetime. What matters is what you get out of your diving... :)
Agreed, but in a sport that encourages the logging of dives, it's hard not to be curious!
Averages depend on your diving habits, which are largely driven by your geography, climate, and financial access to diving. I live in Wisconsin and 5-6 months of the year are not suitable for diving, so I average about fifty dives over the six-month season.
Like I said, there are a lot of variables involved, I am lucky at the moment, living only 2 and a half hours drive away from the Red Sea, little to no other time commitments on the weekends, and with relatively low cost diving available. 12 months from now, I'll be living back in the UK, will be interesting to see how that effects my numbers!

Knocking off 82 dives in a year is nothing to be shy about. I suspect that many who consider themselves "active" divers probably only manage about half that number do to the reasons cited by dewdropsonrosa. Coincidentally, I dove in Sharm last Fall with a number of UK-based divers. Many were making 2-3 trips per year, and finding good deals on airfare and accommodation. All to say that if you continue to have very few commitments back in the UK, you should have no trouble keeping up your numbers. I know I wouldn't....

Last few years I've averaged 75+. But we usually spend 2-3 months on the N. Gulf Coast (like now). With the exception of Nov., Dec. and April I almost always do a two dive day once weekly. Those other months maybe one quickie every 2 weeks.

Agreed, but in a sport that encourages the logging of dives, it's hard not to be curious!

You are correct - but I started in 1978 - always wanted to dive since I can remember. A better measure is in 10 years are you still diving - what are you getting out of it?
Back then I did not log dives - now I wish I had to some degree - but in the end I love to dive. Especially to dive in New England - great spots but you really have to want to dive in cold and darkish water with lots of lead. Got to FL and other warm water locations and there really is no comparison. So keep up the enthusiasm but dont forget to enjoy the dives - even the crummy ones - learn from your mistakes and keep going... :)

congrats! that is awesome. i love seeing new divers actually dive! The more you dive the better and more comfortable it becomes. too many divers only get wet a few times a year.
i'm spoiled living on the Florida coast and being a scuba professional. last year i only got 250 dives in.....

if you continue to have very few commitments back in the UK, you should have no trouble keeping up your numbers. I know I wouldn't....
lots more time commitments when I'm in the UK, but we will see how it goes!

So keep up the enthusiasm but dont forget to enjoy the dives - even the crummy ones - learn from your mistakes and keep going... :)
There is a quote from the TV show descending that goes something along the lines of...

My worst diving experience and my worst sexual experience both have one thing in common, they were fantastic!

congrats! that is awesome. i love seeing new divers actually dive! The more you dive the better and more comfortable it becomes. too many divers only get wet a few times a year.
i'm spoiled living on the Florida coast and being a scuba professional. last year i only got 250 dives in.....
ONLY 250?? actually, i can see how the number would soon creep up! I know Florida is a big place, but where is good to dive thats not too far from the Disney area? Planning a family holiday, and been granted a day for diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom