Baby shampoo *is* the best defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I have been spitting in my mask since the 60's. Yesterday, I noticed that my mask started to fog right after I put it on. No problem, I was still on the surface, so I took it off and tried to spit in it. No luck - I couldn't generate enough spit to do a good job - so I licked the inside of the mask. Worked great - No fog.

Not tried baby shampoo because I have found spit works every time.

I have never yet forgotten to bring my defogger or ran out before a dive

One small point: use cash if you buy baby shampoo, especially at a supermarket or drugstore chain that has your addresses, virtual, electronic, and otherwise. They sell product information to interested companies, and your baby shampoo purchase may result in a flood of advertising material for diaper services, baby food, and God knows what else.

I speak from experience. I had a very old cat who, in her last year, came to prefer a specific brand of baby food. The extensive and continuing correspondence generated was an impressive comment on the loss of privacy in this brave new world. Since passing 70 I hear from memorial gardens, graveyards, and funeral services with great frequency.

The pink eye comment is completely nonsensical. Pink eye is a highly infectious disease, which means you CATCH IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. You won't catch it from your own spit. You are probably more likely to get an infection from a contaminant in the water, but unlikely to get something from yourself. You might get something from the rinse bucket if you use it.

The pink eye comment is completely nonsensical. Pink eye is a highly infectious disease, which means you CATCH IT FROM SOMEONE ELSE. You won't catch it from your own spit. You are probably more likely to get an infection from a contaminant in the water, but unlikely to get something from yourself. You might get something from the rinse bucket if you use it.
That's what I was thinking. If it comes out of you.....

My spit doesn't work to defog most of the time.
I would be more concerned about having a bottle of baby shampoo around for 2 or 3 years and getting contaminated. I Don't get the chance to dive that often and find the small bottles of defog last long enough for me, not a huge expense in the big picture.

My spit doesn't work to defog most of the time.
I would be more concerned about having a bottle of baby shampoo around for 2 or 3 years and getting contaminated. I Don't get the chance to dive that often and find the small bottles of defog last long enough for me, not a huge expense in the big picture.
I haven't thought about shampoo getting contaminated. I suppose it's possible, but you'd think that's like trying to get a bar of soap dirty. But maybe, I don't know. Any scientists/chemists out there?

I have a squeeze sports bottle. I fill it with 1/3 baby shampoo, 2/3 water, and take it in my dive bag.

It works great as defog. I squirt some in my mask and let it sit until it's time to get in, then a quick rinse and put it on.

It also works great as suit lube. I squirt some in each arm and leg of my wet suit before I put it on and it makes my suit go on very easily and very easy to adjust the arms and legs once on to get them positioned just right.

J&J Baby Shampoo. The one-stop diver's shop. :)

I have a bottle of half baby shampoo / half spit. I'm covered.

Back
Top Bottom