Back again...anyone show me around on the 28th or 29th of July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I get to come back to Chicago July 26th to Aug 3rd. I should dive only one day this time (again). :wink: Last Sept, I dove in Haigh Quarry, so this time I would really like to dive in Lake Michigan, maybe a wreck or two? Would any of you wonderful scubaboarders be willing to take me out in the "warm" waters of Chicago? :blinking: I wouldn't mind a boat dive, or shore dive...if I have a sherpa (I am not supposed to carry the gear too far, before I am in the water) *batting eyelashes*

I have lots of So Cal "temperate" water experience. :lol: I will be bringing my gear, sans tank and weights, which includes a dry suit, but I don't think I really want to lug it all the way there for just one day of diving??? :confused: What do you guys think? Thanks and I look forward to hearing (and hopefully meeting) you all! :D

scubalaurel:
Hey all,

I get to come back to Chicago July 26th to Aug 3rd. I should dive only one day this time (again). :wink: Last Sept, I dove in Haigh Quarry, so this time I would really like to dive in Lake Michigan, maybe a wreck or two? Would any of you wonderful scubaboarders be willing to take me out in the "warm" waters of Chicago? :blinking: I wouldn't mind a boat dive, or shore dive...if I have a sherpa (I am not supposed to carry the gear too far, before I am in the water) *batting eyelashes*

I have lots of So Cal "temperate" water experience. :lol: I will be bringing my gear, sans tank and weights, which includes a dry suit, but I don't think I really want to lug it all the way there for just one day of diving??? :confused: What do you guys think? Thanks and I look forward to hearing (and hopefully meeting) you all! :D

I have space on my boat on Sunday, July 30. The water here is a bit cooler than it is in CA; a dry suit is always recommended.

captndale:
I have space on my boat on Sunday, July 30. The water here is a bit cooler than it is in CA; a dry suit is always recommended.

YEAHHHHHH! :sappy: Where is said boat and how much?? Where are we going? depths also? What's your number? Pls put me down.

I know a dry suit is recommended...but... how cold is the water, really? :shakehead Last year at Haigh, the water was only in the mid 50's, which means the wetsuit would have worked (not to mention I am SOOOOO much more comfy in it) and been less stuff to haul over there. It is a 7mm, which keeps me pretty toasty to about 50-48F degrees, and only weighs about 4 lbs. My Drysuit, a 4mm crushed neoprene, is big and bulky, weighs in at 15 lbs., requires it's own suitcase, and I just don't enjoy diving with it as much as I do in a wetsuit. Too confining and much more task loading, as well.

I went out to Catalina Isl this past Sunday. Water was 59F at depth and I was warmmmmmm (espec, as outside air temp was in high 80s on the water). I was very glad to be in my wetsuit vs. the dry. :eyebrow:

Dean810:
Call Dale at (847) 640-8113. Good luck! Hope you have a fun dive.

Yes, call me at the above number and I'll set you up for the Sunday afternoon trip.

Laurel, I'm not sure where Captndale will take you, but Lake Michigan at 100ft is around 41 - 42 degrees this time of year. That is up a couple of degrees from the cold spring time temps. :D
I dove wet for a couple of years prior to getting my DS. It can be done, but you will be much more comfortable in the H2O with the DS. Maybe you could ship your suit.....

Dive1Dennis:
Laurel, I'm not sure where Captndale will take you, but Lake Michigan at 100ft is around 41 - 42 degrees this time of year. That is up a couple of degrees from the cold spring time temps. :D
I dove wet for a couple of years prior to getting my DS. It can be done, but you will be much more comfortable in the H2O with the DS. Maybe you could ship your suit.....

Aaarggh! This was the kind of info I was hoping to get BEFORE I left home. :shakehead

I am already in Chicago (got here this morning, after staying up all night cleaning and packing). Too tired to call Capt. Dale when I first arrived, then my phone died. SO, I will bew calling him tomorrow.

41-42 is quite cold. Much colder than I thought it would be, actually. As all I brought is my 7 mm full suit and 5 mm hooded vest, that will have to do...I will pray for the thermocline to go deeper and tht top layers to be warmer by 10 degrees :D

Lake Michigan isn't always about going to the bottom. I dove a 7mm wetsuit last September and I was fine - bottom temp was around 51* at 90ft. You don't get much time down there anyway so if you can brave it for 15 minutes you'll be fine, otherwise don't go that deep. The wrecks usually span the depths of 30-40 ft. so you wont be at 100ft unless you enjoy looking at the underside of a wreck!

Of course there is always Haigh Quarry again. . . Hahahha.

Hey there!!

While I REALLY did enjoy myself at Haigh last year, I would *prefer* to dive the Lakje this time around. I spoke with Capt. Dale earlier and the wreck they are diving is a little deeper than I want to go, unfortunately.

Soooooo, the search continues for a dive on Sunday (or, Monday or Tuesday if SUnday is a no go).

WHat are some other choices?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom