Trip Report Back from our first visit to Cayman Brac.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After my enjoyable trip to Cayman Brac in 2017 Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017, I corresponded with Brac Scuba Shack regarding solo shore diving. At that time, they replied that they would allow solo diving for solo diving certified divers, as long as you supplied your own pony tank. Shore diving on Cayman Brac? If I were to consider solo shore diving, I would reconfirm with them and ask if they had acquired pony cylinders.

There is a very nice shore diving guide for Cayman Brac that I bought at Scuba Shack Shore diving on Cayman Brac?

Hi @drrich2 I was told that divers often attach their flag to the mooring buoy and retrieve it on the way back in. This would be good to confirm with Scuba Shack also. CBBR did not seem particularly supportive of shore diving when I was there. Perhaps they have changed to compete more effectively.

I just want to comment about something - and every time this issue comes up on SB it causes some angst - but I think it is important.

It seems that often when people are told (or assume) that a diving-related policy is a "law" or a "governmental regulation" it is usually a recommended safety practice from the WATER SPORTS OPERATIONS GUIDELINES - CAYMAN ISLANDS TOURISM ASSOCIATION (CITA) - see the attachment.

Most Cayman dive ops are CITA members and most chose to follow these recommendations but some operations may occasionally make some exceptions, and that leads to confusion and the question always arises "well, is it the law or not?"

Below is an excerpt from the CITA guidelines regarding renting tanks for shore diving and they recommend only renting one tank at a time. Apparently Brac Scuba Shack has chosen to follow that recommendation but we have been informed by @divezonescuba that Reef Divers may allow you to rent 2 tanks for shore diving.

"...It is recommended that when renting scuba cylinders to open water divers that only one tank per certification card be given. It is recommended that when renting scuba cylinders to a certified and insured scuba instructor that only one cylinder per student is given and proof of teaching status & liability insurance of the instructor be shown..."

Another area of occasional confusion is in regards to solo-diving. The CITA guidelines do not recommend solo-diving and most Cayman dive ops have chosen to follow that recommendation, including Reef Divers, but @scubadada has been informed by Brac Scuba Shack that he can solo-dive with them as long as he is solo-certified and has a pony bottle, see the link below:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/posts/8137929/

It's fine with me if dive ops make the decision to always adhere to the guidelines or to make occasional exceptions in some instances - it's their business and they have the responsibility and liability - so it is their decision! And many people probably feel that the guidelines are the same thing as laws and that's totally understandable.

But if you are looking for something a little different and you are told that it is "against the laws governing diving in Cayman" that may not be entirely accurate, and another operator may be more willing to accommodate your request.

Attachments

• CITA Watersports Operations Guidelines updated October 2016 (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 254
Is that all shore diving there? If so, do the shore divers actually do it the big majority of the time, or is it often ignored without consequence?

According to the CITA Watersports Guidelines, it truly is the law in Cayman that shore divers display a flag, unless they are in a marked dive area - like Turtle Reef at Macabuca on GC.

"...All shore divers must have one dive float/flag in the water per buddy team. This flag may be their personal flag, loaned or given, sold or rented. No flag is required if diving in a marked dive area. All shore divers must be informed of the Cayman Islands laws and regulations requiring a float/flag for all shore diving activities and Marine Conservation Laws..."

The Brac fisherman are probably not as used to seeing shore divers in the water as may be the case in other locations - so displaying a flag sounds like the safest thing to do, even if it weren't required.

Carrying a dive flag around the Brac isn't as annoying as it may sound. I know I loathe it in Florida because of the current and waves but the Brac shore dives are relatively sheltered so the flag doesn't pull as much. There are also underwater tie-ups (in addition to the mooring buoys) on many of the dive sites that we used so we didn't need to carry it the whole time.

The Sister Island Tourism Association has published a guide for shore diving Brac, see below. I don't think that I have seen it for sale anywhere on Brac but I seem to recall seeing a reference copy in the Reef Divers shop.

BracShoreDivingGuide.jpg

Here's an article from 2014 about shore diving Brac:

Attachments

• Travel_CaymanBrac_LawsonWood_60_locked.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 149
BSS had the SITA shore guide for sale when we were there in May 2018 but had sold out of copies when we arrived.

I received a very prompt and detailed response from CBBR regarding their support for shore diving. All good for me except that they do not allow solo diving

Hi Craig,

My name is Erin and I’m the Dive Coordinator with Reef Divers Cayman Brac.

I understand you have some questions regarding shore diving…

Yes! We will give you tanks you can use to go shore diving. And being a guest on a dive package, your shore diving is at no extra charge! We just ask you check your tanks in and out with the shop and take one tank at a time.

Unfortunately, solo diving is not condoned, nor do we have pony bottles for you to rent. You will need a buddy!

Lastly, flag and float are in order to go off our shores and we have those here for you to take at no charge. This is a requirement from the Department of Environment Cayman Islands and is strictly enforced.

Let me know if you have any other questions and we look forward to diving with you again soon!

Kind regards,

Erin Rinard

Dive Shop Coordinator

Tel: +1 (345) 948-1642

clearlycayman.com

reefdivers@bracreef.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom