Back up tank!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not very bright, was he. He could have just cracked the valve and "sipped" the air from either tank :wink:

If I witnessed some clown doing this, I would have been laughing so hard I would have spit the reg out. I would've made sure I brought the video camera though. The temptation to post this on the internet would have been too great to leave the video equipment on the boat. :eyebrow:

Assuming this story was somewhat factual...I can only presume that the 1st stage would be terminally damaged when it was flooded during the transfer. Would it still function until it rusted...or would it fail immediately?

Nomad:
IMHO... Fiction to prove a point...

Inclined to agree. Problem is, this was in "Lessons for Life" in Rodale's. Making stories up to prove a point seems against the grain for such an otherwise reputable article in such a crappy mag. A great illustration of how bad this could hurt their credibility is the issue two months ago when they apparently made up a story about a guy buying a reg online and the first stage blowing out on his first dive because he didn't have it inspected. The lesson: don't buy your scuba gear online, be a good little diver and buy it from your LDS. :shakehead

Sorry...I used to consider LFL required reading. Now I consider it bathroom reading, good for a cheap laugh.

blindref757:
Assuming this story was somewhat factual...I can only presume that the 1st stage would be terminally damaged when it was flooded during the transfer. Would it still function until it rusted...or would it fail immediately?
It would work fine. It would certainly need a thorough cleaning after he got out of the water to avoid internal rusting, especially if this stunt was performed in salt water.

blindref757:
I can only presume that the 1st stage would be terminally damaged when it was flooded during the transfer. Would it still function until it rusted...or would it fail immediately?

I have practiced this before while doing a deco class. The reg should immediately be put into fresh water and then rebuilt. Of course the alternative - terminally dead or terminally injuried - is worse. This is one reason when doing deco diving you have all the same valve fittings. So that if one goes tits up and you can switch it out if necessary.

scubadobadoo:
How he managed to get off the boat with the extra tank is the real question. If someone on the boat with me was doing that I would kindly ask them not to because they were just going to end up cutting my dive short when the DM's attention is taken............oh crap............this isn't even worth continuing....lol........i quit!

It is the diver's fault.

I don't fault the DM, boat, or anybody else there. Some people just make stupid mistakes and it is no one else's fault but their own.

That's what is wrong with people today... nothing is their own fault anymore. I digress...

Hopefully this is not a made up story just to prove a point. No decent magazine should do that... oh wait, maybe they did make it up...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom