Back up tank!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
This story about changing tanks underwater? I don't. I am guessing based on how far-fetched the story is and the precident that has been set of late by LFL.

The story about the internet reg blowing up because the diver didn't buy it from an LDS? Come on, are you really asking me to support my position on that one? That was one of the worst examples of scare fiction I have ever read.

My sentiments exactly! When I was reading that LFL article about the internet gear I was thinking....."hmmm, maybe Rodale's has some affiliation with a product manufaturer", but then after this article about the underwater switch, I'm tempted to believe that they've run out of lessons (for life).

One of my friends told me about that story....what an idiot....that is the kind of thing they should revoke your cert for!

Don't believe everything you read. The mags have a lot of made up B.S. If you read them long enough, years, decades, you will see the same articles, file articles used to fill spots. Would you believe the one about the scuba diver in the tree if you read it? I have one framed from the National Enquirer, "Loch Ness monster kills scuba diver"

All manner of things are possible in this world. It would take a pretty extreme example of stupidity or bad luck to warrant an article in a national publication.

Do I believe it? I wouldn't bet much against the validity of anything without researching it but do I doubt the stupidity (even temporary) of my fellow man? Do I believe Murphy's Law is a myth? Oh, HELL no!

I don't think you'd have to look very far to find true stories that surpass these.

Sea ya!

It would take a lot of evidence to prove to me aht a regulator would blow up simply because a diver had the audacity to buy it from an internet vendor.

That is the story that ruined LFL's credibility for me. This latest one may well be true, and if I read it a few months ago, I may not be questioning it. But after reading some pretty solid evidence (in my book) that they are willing to fabricate a story to forward an agenda they are on, I cannot help but question this article. Sorry, as far as I am concerned, they have already revealed the man behind the curtin, and he ain't no wizzard.

I know that the story about the diver carring down a second tank has a lot of people crying about a false story. Well for me the jury is still out on that one, but let me tell about a site witnessed, with my wife ,I need her to back me up because no one believes me when I tell it.

It was torward the end of a dive we were making in Roatan, as I was doing my 3 minitue saftey stop I was looking down watching the reef I noticed a man who had his BCD off and was holding it in his hand, while swiming around. My first thought was that he had a problem and was looking for a sandy patch to make some type of adjustmemt and then put it back on. Boy, was I wrong, I extended my hang so I could watch the show. This guy continued to do his entire dive holding his BCD in his hand.

After we got back on the boat I just had to ask what the h*ll were you doing/thinking. Here is what I was told " I got a sunburn on my back and the BCD was hurting me when I put it on. So I took it off. I don't see what the issue is I had a good grip in the handle".

After seeing some of the things I've seen in my travels I'm sure some where some ***** has done this.

Its sad but my wife and I now try to guess who the "dive jurk" of the trip is going to be. And we are always amazed at what we see.

:xeye:

That gets me thinkin' - Hey SB, can we have
a new forum entitled "Dive Jurk Sightings "?

I hate to say it, but I think it would fill up rather quickly.

<-- lookee there, my stars done growed for posting frivolous banter! :icecream1

Ok....I second that motion. I could add a few to that one...

Shall we put it to a vote? :D

Alright... I know that diving has been around for over half a century and that also in the last two decades there have been leaps and bounds in technology and procedure and research. I have heard stories of people doing things they shouldn't and also of people being chastized for techniques and equipment that don't fit the norm, yet are perfectly viable.

I was at Ginnie Springs a while back... During one of my surface intervals I was fiddling with my camera and strobe; I saw a man who looked to be in the mid-to-late Forties carrying a tank (between an AL40 and AL80) with a first stage and one second stage, no octo and no spare-air- I believe I saw a guage on the tank. He had a mask, but no fins. He walked down the stairs and then descended and went into the cavern... After about 15 minutes he surfaced, climbed out, and then left.

It led me to think... What would you think if you were on a dive boat and someone simply strapped a tank on their back (with a primary and an octo and an spg), fins, and mask? Being a photog. I really feel the weight of my "underwater junk".

Minimalist diving at it's finest. :D

Back
Top Bottom