Backing up in Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...
You are making me want split fins just so I can go out and try to backward kick in them.

:wink:

I can let you have some cheap. After hearing what I think of them nobody will buy them. I'm not a very good at sales.

NITF once bubbled...
Using the same technique for backing up with traditional fins does not lend itself to split fins very well, so a new method will have to be developed.

In looking at the complaints about split fins it appears that the day the traditional fin was invented we were imparted with the genetic knowledge of all modern fin kicks. In reality it took a lot of people a lot of time to refine the various kicks based on the equipment at hand.

It will be the same with splits, it will take many people trying different techniques until someone lands on the proper combination of moves that makes a new kick designed to work great with splits.

Until then, if you frequently need to back up then stick with the Jets. That is what I do when filming but I still experiment in the pool and on leisure dives with splits looking for the Rosetta stone.

NITF

You are correct a new technique is required to back up in split fins and I have found it. Simple, take the fins off our feet, put them on your hands and futter kick with your arms.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
take the fins off our feet, put them on your hands and futter kick with your arms.
Ya stole ma thunder Mike!!!

I was going to have a video done for the Uncle Pug tips & techniques section showing that very thing.

I'm beginning to think you guys don't like split fins... :wink:

(You knew I'd be posting here eventually!)

PS, it IS a pain in the arse but can be done... just very slowly. I do basically a reverse 'frog kick', never have to backup very far so it's not a big deal really.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Ya stole ma thunder Mike!!!

I was going to have a video done for the Uncle Pug tips & techniques section showing that very thing.

Sorry, but there is still work to be done. Since we have established that split fins are best worn on the hands (at least part of the time) perhaps you could describe the proper way to share air using the feet.

I actually got wet today in the LDS pool. They were decorating the underwater x-mas tree and I videotaped it. I was actually way more excited than I should of been for a pool, but hey, its been about a month since diving last.

Ok, anyways, I took about 5 minutes to play around with backward kicks with the split fins on and like stated above, it is possible.

I did back up without using my hands, but very slowly. However, I think with some practice I could become alot more efficient at it. I might go again next week some time and I'll take some video.

Jason

jepuskar once bubbled...
Ok, anyways, I took about 5 minutes to play around with backward kicks with the split fins on and like stated above, it is possible.

I did back up without using my hands, but very slowly. However, I think with some practice I could become alot more efficient at it.

I'm NOT the only one!!! Woo Hoo!!! :eek:ut:

i have never been more impressed with any fin than my atomic split fins. backing up? i just do a little roll onto my back and and kick. maybe i have misunderstood the question? once you get the hang of the shorter kick, they propell you at an amazing rate of speed with little effort. i have dived with splits in surge currents, and drift diving, and have been able to brake with them well by spreading out my legs and twisting my ankles inward.

Back
Top Bottom