Backing up in Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Master Chief once bubbled...
Split fins are garbage. Scuba pro has skids full of them that they can't sell.

Master Chief

Nobody asked you for your thoughts on the quality of split fins. Your post is a waste of time, energy, and bandwidth. He wanted to know how to back up with them. Not every question about splits needs to turn into a debate.

Keep it to yourself.

I have tried backing up in split fins and it wasn't pretty. I don't think they are very goof for a frog kick or any kick other than a flutter.

I have played with them because I have had students who insisted on using them and I was trying to find out how to teach them finning technique with the things. None of these student have had much success with them and eventually switch to a conventional fin.

I was in Bonaire last week and shot several minutes of video...I got some real good closeups, but was hampered by my lack of backward mobility....using one hand to backup while holding the video arm with the other doesnt make for smooth video.

Several times I had to stop shooting to keep from getting to close to the reef....I tried backing up several times with the fins, but not sure if I was even close in technique.

I really like the splitfins and am really comfortable in the water with them...i will continue to work on a technique to backup in em...anyone wanna fly me back down to Bonaire so I can practice in great conditions?

JP

jepuskar once bubbled...
I was in Bonaire last week and shot several minutes of video...I got some real good closeups, but was hampered by my lack of backward mobility....using one hand to backup while holding the video arm with the other doesnt make for smooth video.

Several times I had to stop shooting to keep from getting to close to the reef....I tried backing up several times with the fins, but not sure if I was even close in technique.

I really like the splitfins and am really comfortable in the water with them...i will continue to work on a technique to backup in em...anyone wanna fly me back down to Bonaire so I can practice in great conditions?

JP

Sorry, I can't fly you anywhere but it looks like I will be helping some folks work on going backwards as well as forewards Saturday at Gilboa. It's a much more convenient location and your welcome to join us.

for the offer Mike, but diving up here doesn't appeal to me too much right now. My week in Bonaire really opened my eyes to what is out there.

I can understand why people only dive on vacation now. Although, I dont foresee myself becoming one of those couple times a year divers, it will be hard to get into my 7mm, hood and gloves again.

Someone should of warned me before I left on my trip...i could of brought more stuff to stay longer. :(

It cant be done in splits, i have both apollo splits and Jet Fins.
the reason is that the split opens up and doesn't allow enough
thrust to pull you back.

Using the same technique for backing up with traditional fins does not lend itself to split fins very well, so a new method will have to be developed.

In looking at the complaints about split fins it appears that the day the traditional fin was invented we were imparted with the genetic knowledge of all modern fin kicks. In reality it took a lot of people a lot of time to refine the various kicks based on the equipment at hand.

It will be the same with splits, it will take many people trying different techniques until someone lands on the proper combination of moves that makes a new kick designed to work great with splits.

Until then, if you frequently need to back up then stick with the Jets. That is what I do when filming but I still experiment in the pool and on leisure dives with splits looking for the Rosetta stone.

NITF

You are making me want split fins just so I can go out and try to backward kick in them.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom