backplate and wing size for diving in the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When doing buoyancy calculations the first step is to detrmine your basic buoyancy load. In other words, what does it take to get you, along with your mask fins and snorkel and cutting implement neutral in seawater, or FW if that is where you are diving?

For warm water your plate can supply all the required negative buoyancy to offset any positive buoyancy you have in your snorkeling gear. The wing then has to be large enough to deal with your tank buoyancy swing issues,wetsuit compresson if any, and any static negative buoyancy provided by the tank(s).

I do have an info letter available in pdf format on how to figure this. Shoot me an e-mail address if you want it.

FT

FredT:
When doing buoyancy calculations the first step is to detrmine your basic buoyancy load. In other words, what does it take to get you, along with your mask fins and snorkel and cutting implement neutral in seawater, or FW if that is where you are diving?

For warm water your plate can supply all the required negative buoyancy to offset any positive buoyancy you have in your snorkeling gear. The wing then has to be large enough to deal with your tank buoyancy swing issues,wetsuit compresson if any, and any static negative buoyancy provided by the tank(s).

I do have an info letter available in pdf format on how to figure this. Shoot me an e-mail address if you want it.

FT

He/she said "tropics."

Therefore wetsuit = -0- or almost -0-

An aluminum STA + aluminum backplate would equal about 4 lbs.

A steel STA + steel backplate would equal about 7 lbs.

The diver would still need about 6 lbs of weights for neutral buoyancy at the end of a dive with an empty aluminum tank.

And 7 + 6 = 13 lbs, so like I said, a small wing would be more than sufficient.

IndigoBlue:
He/she said "tropics."

Therefore wetsuit = -0- or almost -0-

An aluminum STA + aluminum backplate would equal about 4 lbs.

A steel STA + steel backplate would equal about 7 lbs.

The diver would still need about 6 lbs of weights for neutral buoyancy at the end of a dive with an empty aluminum tank.

And 7 + 6 = 13 lbs, so like I said, a small wing would be more than sufficient.

Sorry, but where do you get the last part, where the diver needs another 6 lbs? I do fine with just the ss bp, wearing a full 3mm suit in the tropics. I find my Halcyon 27# doesn't quite give me as much lift on the surface as I would like.

I dove my FredT 9# SS plate with the Oxycheq 45# wing in the tropics. I only needed 3# on my belt with a 3mm shortie. The plate adds a few pounds for travel but being as ALL my gear goes in a carryon, I was carrying a heavy load anyway. I weigh in @ 220 lbs. so a 6# SS or an AL plate may be in order for a lighter person. The 45# wing was awesome to say the least. It profiles like their 30# wing and I can use it warm or cold. In the beginning, I too thought I wanted some more ditchable weight, but now that I'm diving neutral I prefer little or no weight. My thoughts are if I LOSE too much weight on a belt then I risk getting bent or AGE. I prefer to rely on my BC and fin power to get out of a jam. There are 2 schools of thought here on having ditchable weight. Some prefer ditchable, some not. On my last dives I was using no air in my wing to maintain neutral. Just lungs and fins to go up or down. Totally awesome.

Just tried out my alum plate with STA, and brand new very bouyant 3mm. Needed an extra 6- 8lbs over the weight of the rig but once suit has a few more dives i think will be carrying 4lbs of ditchable. 27-30lb wings more than enough lift. is the 18lb wing worth having seems more money than the 30lb wings and not much smaller profile???

Albion:
is the 18lb wing worth having seems more money than the 30lb wings and not much smaller profile???
Which wings are you looking at? I have the 18lb and 30lb OxyCheqs in stock, and the 18lb is tiny compared to the 30lb. I've posted pictures somewhere (either here or over at TheDecoStop - can't remember!) showing them both mounted to a backplate and tank, and the 18lb just sticks out around the edge of the backplate compared to the 30lb wing.

If you don't have to drag the 30lb/45lb wing through the water behind you, get the 18lb. I've had very positive feedback from buyers of this wing - the ultimate in minimalist gear :D

U5agi, either the 18# or 30# is fine for tropical waters.

I originally wanted the 18# Halcyon batwing but they don't make those anymore... I ended up with the 27# Pioneer. And it's just fine. I've inflated it fully once on the surface and just used it to lie down on... very relaxing! hehehehe

But the 18# is perfect. Mind you, a lot of people find it a bit too weak when they're used to the clunkier jacket BCs... but it actually works just fine.

Regarding you BP... if you already use 6#, there's no real need to have ditchable weight. You might just end up with a 2# AL plate, and 4# ditchable... why bother? Trust me, it's just annoying having a weight belt. If properly weighted anyway, you should still be able to swim your rig up with a completely empty bladder.

If you think you'll be dropping lead when you switch to a BP... then you might try what I use... an AL plate, and a 2# trim weight. I dive 4# total, and I'm thinking of getting a 2# STA to balance my rig off even more. (I have no problems with roll or anything, but I want to have my rig as snug as possible.)

IndigoBlue:
He/she said "tropics."

When it comes to buoyancy not everyone has the same "start" point.

Back in the dark ages I was 6' tall, weighed in at 130# soaking wet, and I dove 2 or more tanks a day just to catch my no carb lobster or fish lunch. It took me 5 pounds of floatation to just get neutral in snorkeling gear. 35 years and 130# later I'm almost exactly twice the man I was when I got married, and take about 7 pounds of lead to be neutral in my (not dive) skin.

First find your "zero point", then adjust the gear buoyancy accordingly.

If the divers and his gear are all properly dialed in a small wing is cool, provided the diver doesn't sink in saltwater like I used to do.

FT

u5agi:
I'm thinking of switching to a BP/Wing setup for my diving. For cold-water diving, I'm thinking of going with an ALU BP and 30lb wing for single-tank diving.

Any thoughts on what would work for warm-water single-tank? I'm concerned that the 30lb may be a bit too big?
I personally use a 27lb wing and ALU BP, and only dive in tropical water. The gear is great works wonderfully. I'm diving in Malaysia, Singapore and Australia so the weather is around 30degrees (1000 farentheight!) so it's nice and warm, we wear only short wetsuits during the day and switch to long for night dives.

When it comes to weighting I have intergrated weight pockets that allow me to fill them with different weights (depending on equipment) the great thing I find with them is that they are a. ditchable and b. part of the harness so I pick up one thing and everything comes with it! makes carrying your gear around much easier, it's streamlined as well so overall it's a nice option.

When I dive with twins then I use no weight as the tanks add extra that allows me to leave the lead on the boat. Then I don't have to do anything with the pockets just leave them there but empty easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom