Backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The search engine is not very good on SB, best of luck to you on that. You may need to resort to google.

Keep in mind, the BP/Wing is customizable to the extreme. When you are ready to ask questions, get real specific on what you want. There are lots of divers just waiting to answer your questions but without specifics you will be overwhelmed with info and opinions.

1- Cold or warm water
2- Do you fly to you dives or local only
3- Do you want KISS (keep it simple, stupid) or all the bells and whistles
4- Do you like belts, harnesses or integrated weights
5- Are doubles in you future or keeping to singles
6- Are you on a budget
I've been looking into this as well.

1- warm water
2- mostly local but would like to fly
3- semi Keep It Super Simple. I'd like to clip a light and a camera at least
4- I would like integrated weights
5- Plan on using single tank
6- sort of. I've learned that buying once = crying once and thereby saving money in the end

So far I've been looking at the DeepSeaSupply stuff and considering the Torus 26. Like you said about the search function I found an SB thread about that unit thru google lol

I think that for single tank divers without a need for a lot of weight, a Zeagle ET (with the basic harness) is so close to being a BP/W that it's kind of pointless to pick it apart as not being one.

I'm not making any sort of evaluative statement about the zeagle, but if it does not have a rigid plate, it's not a BP/W set up. I'm surprised there would be any sort of disagreement about this. The plate itself is a huge part of the BP/W system. It couples the tank to the diver's back in a way that is fundamentally different from a soft pack.

This may be the wrong place for this, but here it goes. I am interested in trying a backplate setup. What all is needed? How do you attach weight?
Dave

I went through this when I was considering a BP/W setup. It all seemed very confusing to me.

You need a backplate. It can be aluminum or steel. If you select aluminum it will tend to be 6 pounds, give or take, lighter. I dive with a steel plate and a 7mm wetsuit. If I use a steel plate and steel tank with a single tank adaptor and a 3mm wetsuit I sink like a rock. So for me, steel plate for cold water diving. Aluminum plate for tropical water diving.

You need a harness. There are two types. The hogarthian harness (named after Bill Hogarth Main). Have a look at Threading a Backplate System - YouTube for a video on threading a harness. You can buy the webbing and all the parts separately but generally you get a kit with the webbing and all the parts you'll need. The other type of harness are called 'deluxe' harness. The hogarthian harness is one piece webbing. The 'deluxe' harness has buckles which make it easier to adjust and get in and out of. For example, if I'm rescuing you and you wear a hogarthian harness, I'd cut it off with a z-knife. If you are wearing a 'deluxe' harness, I'd just unclip the buckles just like a jacket style BCD. Some people don't use a crotch strap. I'd recommend buying a kit with a crotch strap. If you don't like it, don't use it.

You need a wing. If you are diving with a single tank then a wing with 20 to 30 pounds of lift is sufficient. You want a wing designed for a single tank. The wings for double tank configurations are wider and don't work well with single tanks. Some wings are made with thicker bladders, tougher outer shell. Some you can change the bladder by unzipping the shell. Some are sewn in and need to go back to the manufacturer to get fixed.

Some wings have ridges and slots for tank straps (cam straps). With them you don't need a single tank adaptor (STA). However, I find a STA is more stable and your tank does not shift around at all. Whether or not you want a STA depends on the wing you buy. If it says it has a built in STA then you don't need one. I use a STA.

Finally, you need a set of straps to hold the tank to the backplate and some wing nuts plus lock washers to hold everything together.

If you look at my setup, I have a steel tank. On the steel tank I have a STA held on with two straps. The STA has two bolts. The wing has two holes which the STA bolts go through. Next the backplate has two holes which the STA bolts go through. If I didn't have the STA I would have just two bolts to hold everything together. So now the layers are the tank, the STA, the wing, the backplate. I put wing nuts and lock washers on the bolts and tighten them.

I wear my weights on a weight belt. You can get pockets which go on the harness. Some pockets are fixed. Some have a quick release.

I'm not making any sort of evaluative statement about the zeagle, but if it does not have a rigid plate, it's not a BP/W set up. I'm surprised there would be any sort of disagreement about this. The plate itself is a huge part of the BP/W system. It couples the tank to the diver's back in a way that is fundamentally different from a soft pack.

I know they market it as a backplate:

Express Tech Backplate - Backplate BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

My LDS didn't actually have one in stock so I went with the DRIS SS BP/W since I need more weight anyways. I haven't actually touched the Zeagle ET but my impression was that it is rigid it's just not AL or SS. You still have continous webbing and tank straps and a wing. To me, from an evolutionary perspective it seems like it's a step forward for some people. I guess to other people it's heresy.

Thanks scubadiver888, that's the best explanation I have found. I have a Scubapro S-tek bc that i plan to part out. Going to use the wing and tank straps. So I guess I am only lacking a backplate and harness now. Been looking around and I may go with a Hammerhead plate.

Just did my first dives on a bpw last month. It was a pita to get it adjusted the first dive. After that nirvana.... Go with the basic harness and crotch strap. Now planning on getting a second set... I have SS plate double 38 wing. Looking for single wing with al plate to cover all diving and travel. Very versital system. Also very simple, many bcd's have too many bells and whistles complicating things. And then I'm going to change my integrated computer to a wrist mount so I can change back to a SPG clipped to the d ring.

I've been looking into this as well.

1- warm water
2- mostly local but would like to fly
3- semi Keep It Super Simple. I'd like to clip a light and a camera at least
4- I would like integrated weights
5- Plan on using single tank
6- sort of. I've learned that buying once = crying once and thereby saving money in the end

So far I've been looking at the DeepSeaSupply stuff and considering the Torus 26. Like you said about the search function I found an SB thread about that unit thru google lol

You won't go wrong with a complete rig from DSS, the make very nice gear indeed. Contact the owner, Tobin, and he will sort you out. DSS have a sub forum over in "Manufacturers" forum. Good luck.

Just did my first dives on a bpw last month. It was a pita to get it adjusted the first dive. After that nirvana.... Go with the basic harness and crotch strap. Now planning on getting a second set... I have SS plate double 38 wing. Looking for single wing with al plate to cover all diving and travel. Very versital system. Also very simple, many bcd's have too many bells and whistles complicating things. And then I'm going to change my integrated computer to a wrist mount so I can change back to a SPG clipped to the d ring.

What I find amazing is the absence of the tank wiggling around on my back. I tend to invert to look into holes and such and never realized the extra movements, like a loose load on a truck I was fighting the shifting weight. Once a BP is adjusted, the stability is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom