Backplate Pad, Which One....if Any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do you mind elaborating on which type pad you are speaking about as I was also worried about premature ware from the bolts as well and if I do not go with a back pad maybe I will still go with a storage pad for what you describe.

If the tank bolts are below the plane of the cylinders, even with a very flat plate, they won't hit your suit. Some people do prefer to use the space between the pad and plate for storage. IMO it kinda works if you have a steeply bent plate with a deep center channel. Here's a video that includes band bolt length recommendations.

Storing a smb in this space requires one to carefully fold / roll it and pay particular attention the fill and OPV. In the water it's next to impossible to re stow the smb in the storage pack. This seems like a none problem, i.e. stow it on the boat, until you do training dives where you may shoot the bag more than once.

My preference is to keep small SMB's in a pocket on my dry suit, and to use bungee loops across the bottom of the back plate for larger bags. It is possible to restow the bags into these bungee loops in the water. Bungee Loop Video.

Tobin

do you mind elaborating on which type pad you are speaking about as I was also worried about premature ware from the bolts as well and if I do not go with a back pad maybe I will still go with a storage pad for what you describe.

This is the one I have: Vobster Quay - Online Shop
Halcyon also make one and charge the H tax, DIRZone, and a few other manufacturers. It's just a bit of fabric really.

My wife has them on both her backplates and won't dive without it. For her, in terms of comfort, it's essential as far as she is concerned. Most of her diving is from boats. She has the Backplate Comfort Pad | Dive Rite

I do lots of shore dives, and don't have one. It would probably be more comfortable, but lack of backplate pad doesn't bother me. On the other hand, I do have a DiveRite Transplate harness and find it to be more comfortable than continuous webbing I have on one of my backplates. Several instructor friends switched from continuous webbing to the Transplate harness and said they are much happier; one who hasn't says his back and shoulders are really sore after a weekend of teaching open water students. FWIW

Un-necessary. i use a steel DiveRite skeleton backplate for both my doubles and single tank sets. No pad. It just serves no purpose for me. I don't feel the plate.
it's definitely a body type/comfort kind of thing. if it works for you then it's a good idea.

I have one on my Halcyon system along with the shoulder pads. Do I really need it, probably not, but it does look a lot nicer.

My wife on the other hand has a surgical steel Harrington rod for scoliosis running through much of her spine which she received at age 12. She prefers to wear a soft pack for comfort issues over a plate, and if she did use one, I'd suspect the back pad plate would be a necessity.

I have one on my Halcyon system along with the shoulder pads. Do I really need it, probably not, but it does look a lot nicer.

My wife on the other hand has a surgical steel Harrington rod for scoliosis running through much of her spine which she received at age 12. She prefers to wear a soft pack for comfort issues over a plate, and if she did use one, I'd suspect the back pad plate would be a necessity.

Has your wife ever tried a rigid plate? If not it might be worth a try. A Rigid plate contacts the divers back away from the center line. Just hold your bare plate up against her back and see where it actually touches. She could be surprised.

Tobin

if you have 200yd hikes to get to your destination, I would frankly save my back and use a 2 wheel dolly to get the rig down to the water, but no pad necessary in a 5mm wetsuit or more

if you have 200yd hikes to get to your destination, I would frankly save my back and use a 2 wheel dolly to get the rig down to the water, but no pad necessary in a 5mm wetsuit or more

I don't do a lot of shore diving, but the one place I do shore dive has about a .25 mile walk. I'm with you, I have a 4 wheel gorilla cart that I'll use. Screw having to carry it all that way.

I have thought about that but most people do not since they often get stolen in this place. I have been thinking about maybe trying to lock the dolly up near where we enter.

If you are interested in buying a used one, I have a Halcyon padded one I can sell you for $35.
Replacement Backplate Pad w/ Storage Pak | Extreme Exposure

My opinion about them - I've never felt the need for the PAD itself, but the storage pocket is by far the best option for a SMB/lift bag, doesn't get any more streamlined than that. So if you need the pad, then it doubles in function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom