Backplate wing setup for entry/transition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're all pretty much the same. Depending on how much weight you need, consider Alu vs Stainless. Alu is about 2lbs negative and stainless is about 6lbs negative. Most jacket BCD's are a couple pounds positive. As far as which harness to get, remember to get the MOST SIMPLE HARNESS AVAILABLE. That was a recommendation given to me when I was buying my first BPW. I ignored it because I wanted the "comfy/padded" one. Poor decision. Go fully hogarthian. As far as wing, with mildly proper weighting all you'll need is 10lbs-15lbs of lift. This link shows a GREAT deal on a BPW...probably the best I've seen. $300 is a great deal on a great setup. Alu, Hog harness, basic setup, Dive Rite wing.....all great signs. However, call around for other options. Jim Lapenta is worth contacting.

sorry if i dont respond too often, Im not on the computer much ever.

Checked out dive gear express and I think theyre actually local to me in florida, I like that they have the option of buying a package so that I dont get confused. I was curious about piecing things together but I think ill avoid that for now until I get my hands on my first setup and get used to it.

Any of you guys using them recommend any particular pouches to add to them besides weight pouches? I plan on picking up a glue-on thigh pouch for my wetsuit when i get a new one to hold my light/shears etc but need to be able to hold my liftbag, SMBs and reel. I dive a seaquest/aqualung balance right now and I hate the single accessory pocket setup on it for carrying SMBs and my reel, Prefer to have everything stowed away where it wont snag on reef or wrecks or shooting lines from my guns if I roll a big fish.

Looks like dive gear express is a close drive, I may call them when im ready to buy a setup and go up there and see this stuff in person, I need to visually see it all put together and probably try it on. I had an opportunity to get a fully rigged transpac with single tank adapter, and an aluminum backplate that was brand new for less then 400 dollars at a shop I used to work at but apparently Im not welcome in there anymore.... :depressed:

I didn't mean to call you out on not responding. If you had a new opinion because of what we've said or had read something else and gotten a change of opinion I wanted to know. There were a lot of opinions, many contradicting eachother....which is the norm in these discussions.

Now, as far as pockets go: I wouldn't recommend ANY pockets on your bcd. I don't even like weight pouches. Everything you couod possibly need can be attached to a weight belt or the d-rings on your harness. Thigh pockets I like, but there's no need to ruin the simplicity of a backplate/wing. Clip everything off onto d-rings and it'll become second nature to grab them. This works for serious cave divers, and they've got more crap clipped off than any other group of divers I've seen.

Now, one thing to think about is this: are you planning on tech or cave any time soon(ish)? If you are, are you thinking backmount or sidemount? If yes and if sidemount, then maybe an SMS100 (or similar) is a better buy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Suggestions for best setup would be ideal, going to be on single tanks mainly HP steels, florida waters, carrying 4-5 SMBs/liftbag, flashlight stringer, shears, reel for shooting SMB. occasionally carrying a pony or 30 or 40 cu ft nitrox tank.
Three comments: 1. One decision point on a BP is the material - stainless steel (SS), aluminum (AL), or kydex / some similar material. In part your choice will depend on where you usually dive (warm salt water, I presume from your post), what your usual exposure suit is, what your standard cylinder is (steels, according to your post) and your inherent buoyancy. In the end, the material doesn't make that much difference. When I dive the Caribbean, with a 1 mm suit and an AL 80, I use a SS BP, and still need added weight. So, for me SS is the way to go (the only time I use an AL plate is with steel doubles, diving wet). But, you know your inherent buoyancy better than the people responding here. I personally prefer a SS plate because it takes weight of my waist. Your preferences may differ. 2. I don't find a lot of difference between a small donut vs a small horseshoe wing. I happen to prefer my Halcyon donut wing, but I can make either work. So, while you may receive strong input one way or the other, the choice may not be critical. Probably, a more important consideration is getting a (small) wing intended for single cylinder use, with 18 - 30 lb lift. With a steel cylinder you may want a wing than tends toward the larger end of the scale. 3. I will stay out of the brand discussion. I dive a variety of gear brands (Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, DSS, Oxycheq, Zeagle, etc) and have trouble distinguishing between them in performance. Go where you get responsive customer service at a fair price, or where you get the absolutely cheapest price if service is not an issue. As an aiside, I have dealt with DGX both online and in person, and have always had a good experience.
KnCDIVE:
suggestions for the most financially feasible entry level equipment would be best. Not looking to spend thousands of dollars but not cheapskating it from the getgo. checked out diverite open to other suggestions before i pull the trigger.
One additional approach to 'financially feasible' is to buy used. Years ago, I started out with a used (eBay) OMS SS BP and harness ($70), a used (eBay) Dive Rite Wing ($115), and a used (eBay) STA ($30). My first BP/W set up cost me all of $215. I still have, and dive, all three components. Since then, I have added a number of BPs and wings to the inventory, and purchased a few of them new (albeit at staff prices through my LDS). After my first purchase, I have made all of my own harnesses from webbing and hardware purchased from my LDS. I prefer that approach for cost, but I suspect that not everyone will necessarily endorse it.
KnCDIVE:
Any of you guys using them recommend any particular pouches to add to them besides weight pouches? I plan on picking up a glue-on thigh pouch for my wetsuit when i get a new one to hold my light/shears etc but need to be able to hold my liftbag, SMBs and reel.
There is another currently active SB thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/455829-bp-w-no-pockets.html) which also addresses this issue. You may want to check it as well. There may be better, or at least equally efficient, ways to carry a light, and shears, and SMBs, and reels, with a BP/W than putting them in a pocket. I really like pockets for some things (small back-up cutting tool, small spools, Wet Notes, etc) but mainly for things I don't need to frequently use, or which are not too bulky.

If you are serious about adding pockets, do not just glue a pocket on to your wetsuit. Have it sewn and glued. You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to call you out on not responding. If you had a new opinion because of what we've said or had read something else and gotten a change of opinion I wanted to know. There were a lot of opinions, many contradicting eachother....which is the norm in these discussions.

Now, as far as pockets go: I wouldn't recommend ANY pockets on your bcd. I don't even like weight pouches. Everything you couod possibly need can be attached to a weight belt or the d-rings on your harness. Thigh pockets I like, but there's no need to ruin the simplicity of a backplate/wing. Clip everything off onto d-rings and it'll become second nature to grab them. This works for serious cave divers, and they've got more crap clipped off than any other group of divers I've seen.

Now, one thing to think about is this: are you planning on tech or cave any time soon(ish)? If you are, are you thinking backmount or sidemount? If yes and if sidemount, then maybe an SMS100 (or similar) is a better buy.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

No worries, and absolute no on the cave or sidemount diving. not my cup of tea at all.

my .02 Very rarely do you get what you like first purchase out. Buy used quality and learn what you do not know about your personal wants and likes in regard to a BPW. Then you can purchase with confidance.
Eric

Bought used Halcyon rigs for my wife and I from this Board and from e-bay. Stuff is built like a tank. Have had three years of reliable and great use. Paid less than what you will pay for any of the new stuff that has been mentioned here.

Dunno about where you are, but where I am you get near new Halcyon rigs pop up on Fleabay fairly regularly. People do like 10 dives, then sell them for half the price of new. The things are as stated above built like tanks, and normally come with all the options installed. I went this way for my doubles setup - got a rig with one dive on it for half price.
My singles I went the DGE way, got some HOG setups quite cheap. Nothing wrong with them, they work well, and I especially love the ali-plate, 23# travel setup - but I have to admit that the Halcyon just drips quality.

As to size - steel tanks with a wetsuit you are looking for 30# or so as a very general statement. Your wing size is mostly determined by your exposure protection when you are diving singles. There's whole threads on wing sizing in the BCD forum.

Dunno about where you are, but where I am you get near new Halcyon rigs pop up on Fleabay fairly regularly. People do like 10 dives, then sell them for half the price of new. The things are as stated above built like tanks, and normally come with all the options installed. I went this way for my doubles setup - got a rig with one dive on it for half price.
My singles I went the DGE way, got some HOG setups quite cheap. Nothing wrong with them, they work well, and I especially love the ali-plate, 23# travel setup - but I have to admit that the Halcyon just drips quality.

As to size - steel tanks with a wetsuit you are looking for 30# or so as a very general statement. Your wing size is mostly determined by your exposure protection when you are diving singles. There's whole threads on wing sizing in the BCD forum.

Plus one.

I got a Halcyon SS plate, harness, small knife and ditchable weight pockets for $120 that looks brand new off of e-bay. Purchased a 30 lb donut wing from Piranha Dive MFG Extreme 30lb Donut Wing "ACU Camo" $300 and done. Not sure if I could be happier...

I don't think Halcyon plates are any better/different than any other plates. Webbing is just webbing. The wing is the most important part, I think. The wing's bladder could leak, lpi get stuck, exhaust get stuck, etc. So I don't think that would be any better than the $300 combo I posted.

However, used is a great option that shouldn't be overlooked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

The halcyon plates are made to take their "cinch" system, an excellent accessory that allows you to adjust your hogarthian harness without having buckles, etc. For me that was a considerable advantage as you can easily "fit" your harness for any type of exposure protection almost instantly, and also makes it much easier to doff and don the gear. Could not pay the freight new, but used was no problem. Also, I bought ones with 40 lb wings because we dive big steel singles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom