Backup Analog Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy an modern computer and use your old one for a back up. Ten years is ancient in terms of technology.

I realized today it's actually 11 years old. I am going to buy a new OCi and keep my current OC1 as the backup.
Why an OCi? Old technology screen, old algorithms, difficult to download.

Because I've been using an OC1 for the last 11 years, I'm used to it. I don't download data. I found out that my old transmitter will work with it, but I'm wondering if I should also get a new one.

The problem with a unmounted spare console is that the computer won't have your current nitrogen and O2 states. To be safe, at minimum you'd have to skip any remaining dives that day along with aborting the current dive if the failure happened mid-dive.

The easiest way to avoid this without having to lug around a clunky console on all your dives is to carry a backup computer. And maybe add a small backup SPG that clips off to a hip d-ring as Tursiops suggested.

Any basic nitrox computer would do if you add the SPG. Otherwise you'll need a spare that is AI compatible.

Which reminds me, I have an OC-1 in excellent condition that I've been meaning to sell. I'll send you a PM.

pls explain that further. are you talking about a computer failure of the AI function alone. computer for the most part I agree with you depending on the dive but a error in the ai should be of no consequence. and yes if one fault is noted the rest of hte computer is now in question. If I had a puter failure on a shallow dive like under 40. I would not hesitate to continue diving.

Because I've been using an OC1 for the last 11 years, I'm used to it. I don't download data. I found out that my old transmitter will work with it, but I'm wondering if I should also get a new one.
I would bet that if you went to the shop and said you will buy another if they free update both of them to seal the deal,,,, they would do it with a smile. familiarity is important ans so is both computers working the same as far as settings conservatism and algorythms.

ScubaForce currently makes some nice analog gauges, manufactured in Italy and very reasonably priced.

A single AI computer shouldn't be your only way to get depth, psi, and time. Computers die, or are forgotten at home.

In addition to an SPG, having a backup computer is great for rec diving and vital if you're going into deco. Or at least an analog depth gauge and a watch.

This is the first time in 11 years that I had a problem with my OC1, and I believe it is due to changing the battery, which was just done. I have the batteries changed on my computer and transmitter regularly every year. I also have an Oceanic Buddy, but stopped using it several years ago. Just didn't seem necessary at the time. I'm not concerned when I'm diving at my home in Mexico because there are three shops where I can get equipment. More concerned about when I'm traveling, which I hope to be doing again in a couple of months.

I would bet that if you went to the shop and said you will buy another if they free update both of them to seal the deal,,,, they would do it with a smile. familiarity is important ans so is both computers working the same as far as settings conservatism and algorythms.
There is no update to the OC1 or the OCi, unless you mean a new battery or something.
OP, if there is an AI problem with these tranmitters/receivers it is almost always the transmitter, and usually the transmitter battery. If you've got an SPG also, no big deal. The second computer won't help if it is the transmitter. Install and carry the SPG, and a fresh battery for the transmitter. You can get the transmitter fixed (actually, they send you a newly reconditioned one) for $120, much cheaper than a spare.

It just might be the transmitter. Because my gear was down at my home in Mexico, I couldn't get the battery replaced this time when I had the computer done. I was planning on taking it back after this visit to get that done. The error message I got at the end of the first dive was "Prev Dive Error." The reason I'm thinking it's an error with the computer is that it hasn't cleared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom