Backup regulator choice, carry full set/partial set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How's everybody doing?

I'm planning to have backup regs from now on any long dive trips (just for ease of mind), wondering what factors normally being considered for backup regs (if you have one)?

e.g.
1. What kind of regulator do you typically pick as backup regulator? (balanced/non-balanced, easy to service, etc)
2. Do you bring the whole set for backup reg (including first, stage, octo, spg, or just the first stage)
3. Do you bring spare hoses for the backup regs?
4. Anything else to consider?

Would love to hear from others :D

Cheers,
Kebo

1. What kind of regulator do you typically pick as backup regulator? (balanced/non-balanced, easy to service, etc)
2. Do you bring the whole set for backup reg (including first, stage, octo, spg, or just the first stage)
3. Do you bring spare hoses for the backup regs?
4. Anything else to consider?

I always take a spare reg, what I take depends on the trip:

Local trip - me as DM
1) The same as my main set (Mk25 and S600)
2) full set-up 1st, two 2nds, gauge computer in console
3) as part of 2)
4) I take this as a general spare for the other divers

Live-aboard - me as a paying guest (generally this will cover 2 or 3 divers in my 'personal' group)
1) The same as my main set (Mk25 and S600)
2) I take 1st and one 2nd, with LP hose and SPG on hose (reduce weight with flights)
3) I take service kits, hoses as per point 2 (service kits as we will do a lot of diving)
4) some tools and an IP gauge, schematic...

I always dive with two computers, so I guess I take a spare computer - but it is no good as a spare if it does not have the repetitive dive profile so it is one each.

Overall, if I am paying for a for a live aboard I do not want to miss a dive.

I too use the same make and model(s) as my primary set.

+1 Scuba Pro MK 25s / S600s.

I have three sets of MK25s with both 2nd Stages on each 1st Stage S600s. I use them on singles and doubles, DIN and Yoke. Very versatile.

On trips/vacation I always bring 2 complete reg sets (inc computers/spgs) plus a 3rd computer, 1 spare BCD inflator assembly/LP inflator hose, spare spg/hose, might toss in a spare 2nd stage as well.

if I'm flying I'll typically bring a doubles set of regulators to have the extra first stage, and parts kits. I can repair my second stages with very little in the terms of weight for parts and tools, and I carry the extra first stage because it's easier. When I'm driving to the dive site or going on a boat I carry a full spare set of regulators

I never take (don't even have) a backup reg set. Instead I learned how to service my regs and bring a service kit for each everywhere I dive. My H2Odyssey had a minor leak on my last trip. Less than a half hour in my room and it was back to perfect. Kits and tools are way lighter and take up less room than multiple backup regs - and what if the long unused backup doesn't function when needed?

I carry a spare first and second stage (my pony tank reg) if I need a stage or hose I will steal from that as needed. Worst case I end up diving with a buddy.

If I am driving to the dive site I bring my dive toolbox with most things needed to rebuild most anything I need to.

On most trips I make sure my gear is working a head of time. On extended trips I bring a spare first and second stage that are the same - basically one of my deco regs.

IMHO if one is looking to have a back up the best course of action is to buy two of the same regs as if one were buying for diving doubles. In reality your alternate second stage is already a backup so all you really need is backup first stage which is harder to fix. If one of the seconds stages craps out most dive resorts will have something that will work.

Locally, I carry all kinds of crap as I have a pickup truck. When I fly I carry a spare first stage, seconds are easy to fix or borrow, or in the worse case you only need one to dive. If I was flying to a tropical destination I could carry more as I wouldn't need to take my 7mm farmer john, or heavy clothes.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom