Bad dive spot in the carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphiprion

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking a vacation with my pregnant wife in January. We want a beach vacation in the Carribean. I need a place where I won't be tempted to spend the entire time underwater, yet a place nice enough for a romantic getaway. I'm doing my normoxic OW dives a month later in Coz, so I don't have the pressure to dive, but want to avoid the temptation.

This obviously rules out the Caymans, but what about St. Lucia, St. Maarten, St. Barts or the BVI? Not taking the wife to Jamacia.

Help!

I have never been there but one of my non-diving employees enjoys going to Antigua.

Looks as good as any place like that.

St. Martin is gorgeous seen from the ocean (visited 1 day on a cruise). Doesn't seem to be such an adored dive site as to make you spend the trip cringing & whining '...but I'm missing it!!!...' so badly. Plus, there's a Dutch half & a French half, for some variety.

When I went there back in '06, we did a ship excursion over to the neighboring island of Anguila for a Dolphin encounter that was great fun.

Philipsburg, St. Martin, is from what I understand a runner up the Charlotte Amalie in St. Thomas as a shopping center in the Caribbean.

Worth a thought.

Richard.

What about Playa del Carmen. The beaches are great. The pace is slow. And there is diving should you need a little fix. Check out the Royal if you need to treat her to 5 star comfort.

St. Martin is gorgeous seen from the ocean (visited 1 day on a cruise). Doesn't seem to be such an adored dive site as to make you spend the trip cringing & whining '...but I'm missing it!!!...' so badly. Plus, there's a Dutch half & a French half, for some variety.

I have stayed on St. Maartin. The French part is very much French. You will find stores or restaurants where no one speaks English. (I am not knocking it--it was very nice.) The Dutch half is very much American--you have to look hard for a Dutch influence. It really is a nice island. And, as you might hope, the diving is mediocre, and located mostly on the Dutch side.

If you want to sneak off for a really interesting site and do some real diving for a day, head over to nearby Saba.

What about Playa del Carmen. The beaches are great. The pace is slow. And there is diving should you need a little fix. Check out the Royal if you need to treat her to 5 star comfort.

Hmmm. Cenotes would be calling me.

Holbox, west of Cancun! A delightful little island not easily accessible but well worth the drive and ferry or boat ride. In the summer many flock there to swim with whale sharks but in the winter - just enjoy the lovely beaches, sand streets, delightful cafes, etc. No scuba compressors at all, but several nature tours available. Some of the hotels lack AC, but in January you wouldn't need it.

St. Barts in a gorgeous little island. I went there before starting to dive so can't comment on the quality of diving on offer. Some of the most beautiful beaches....most not very crowded. Great food.

The flight in can be a nail biter!

St. Barts in a gorgeous little island. I went there before starting to dive so can't comment on the quality of diving on offer. Some of the most beautiful beaches....most not very crowded. Great food.

The flight in can be a nail biter!
Not a dive destination, but they do dive there. All French Island beaches are topless of course, some nude. The runway there is amazing, but you can take a ferry from St.Marteen.

The only way to dive less is will power. It sounds like you want the diving sites to be limited or not as good as others so it limits your choices. You could try to find an island with high diving costs so your budget constrains you. Exuma Bahamas would be an example. It has only one dive shop and it’s about $180 per two tank dive.

If I knew what you expected topside it would be easier to make a recommendation. Your list has quite a few windward islands so it sounds like you want green, lush, hilly with beaches. It’s hard to recommend just one. I think any of them can fit the bill for romantic.

We have found great beaches in the Bahamas. You could try New Providence (Nassau). There is more to do in Nassau but there are more people. Or try an out island where you might find great beaches and hotels less crowded. The Bahamas Gov’t (Dept of Tourism) is running specials for airfare ($300 off or free companion air with restrictions) if booked before EOY and used before June 30, 2011. We took advantage of it via the hotel. I don’t view the Bahamas as a lush paradise. I am not a big fan of scrub. I found the diving in the Bahamas (around New Providence and Exuma) to be a bit boring with a lot of sand but decent coral (and plenty of lionfish). However the blueholes and wrecks were good. The Bond wrecks were broken down tho.

St. Lucia topside is very lush and hilly. The Pitons are inspiring and there are tours of the jungle, Pitons, sulfur springs/volcano, Marigot bay, etc. There is less shopping, no gambling, and less crowds but it depends on what you want. The beaches in St. Lucia are nice but I think, not the best in the Caribbean. We find we generally have to go through several connecting flights, including San Juan PR, to get there from Denver. The diving in St. Lucia is not bad but in my opinion, not great.

I have had friends stay in Saba but they went to dive. I am told Saba has excellent diving (macro photography in particular) so maybe it’s too much of a temptation.

You might look into the Dominican Republic as well. Several friends have been and said it had nice beaches, good hotels (AI I think) and decent diving. I keep hearing conflicting stories on Turks and Caicos - the diving is great, it’s not great. I can’t tell. I am not as familiar with USVI and BVI but I understand USVI has decent diving and I hear plenty to do topside. BVI is more remote and those I know who went there to dive said there is less to do topside but then they did not seek that out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom