Bad News From Santa Rosa Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing new. I wonder why all the news articles all have to recite "expert diver, expert diver, expert diver"?
One would hope that they're trying to make the point that something like this could happen to anyone (even expert divers), but sadly, my guess is it just adds to the click-bait level and sensationalism of the report.

Sincere condolences not only to Shane's family, but to all who have been affected by this tragedy, both directly and indirectly.

Reactions: Jax
Or 02 toxicity. Or could have been panic. Or something else. The incident of the two Finnish divers who died in Plura in February 2014 is what keeps coming to mind. In both cases you have highly qualified and experienced divers with what appeared to be a fully functioning CCR who experience a significant problem (but not an immediately life-threatening problem - because they are on a CCR with hours of remaining run time which which to solve the problem) occur and then in a short period of time they stop breathing.
Kevin, that Finnish dive was >100m, at 4'C, with a long runtime and apparently required the divers to work hard to get past the restrictions. It is quite probable that their actual scrubber duration for the dive in question was measurable in minutes based on the known unit scrubber duration at the start of the dive.... Happy to be proven wrong based on evidence - easily checked by looking at the unmanned scrubber duration tests for the units used - demonstrating a sufficient duration for the dive plan.

What one observation of panic in a CCR diver could have actually been convulsions from CO2 buildup. An ex-Navy diver is unlikely to "panic." Observations are difficult in limited visibility.

SeaRat

I did not know Shane, but it is not explicitly clear that he was a Navy Diver. He may have been a certified diver while he was in the Navy, but not a diver FOR the Navy. I've seen you and others make that assumption though.
Can anyone here clear that up?

@Jack Hammer was quoted in that article!
Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I wasn't aware of it. News reporters will "quote" any one to get their own name out. A good man, cave diver, and Explorer didn't give up his life just so a reporter can get their name on a story. If I'd been asked if I minded being quoted the answer would have been a polite version of **** off.

A few years back a CCR diver in Sydney removed his CCR to exit a wreck (it seems he had become stuck in what appeared to be a "sealed" section as he could not find the way he came in). When he took it off, it dropped out of his reach as it was so heavy and he went upwards (drysuit). From what I recall, he was then separated from the CCR and died.

So removing a CCR to get through a tight squeeze has problems which need to be taken into account (as does removing OC with integrated weights).

I did not know Shane, but it is not explicitly clear that he was a Navy Diver. He may have been a certified diver while he was in the Navy, but not a diver FOR the Navy. I've seen you and others make that assumption though.
Can anyone here clear that up?
Technical and Rebreather Diving lessons and training San Diego, Ca. Kiss rebreather sales
All I can say is what was written on his shop website:
Advanced Underwater Training in San Diego, California, offers comprehensive scuba diving lessons for beginners and advanced divers alike. Shane Thompson, our scuba instructor and owner, trains individuals and groups mostly on Technical diving and rebreather diving. Simply let us know your diving goals, and we can help you learn the skills you need to get there.

With more than 20 years of experience, Shane is a seasoned working diver, deep technical and rebreather diver who worked as a diving instructor while in the Navy. He first learned the joys of diving at a young age while living on a boat in Key West. That first experience was all he needed to get hooked, and he soon earned his diving certification. Since then, he has had the pleasure of working underwater construction, vessel salvage, owning a dive shop, and teaching others how to get more out of every experience.
That also was quoted in the article about his death. I do not know directly whether he was simply a seaman who was an instructor on the side, or a U.S. Navy diving instructor for their programs. I assume the latter.

SeaRat

If I'd been asked if I minded being quoted the answer would have been a polite version of **** off.
While I love the attention given SB in some regards, I find their mining of us a bit unethical or lazy.

Back
Top Bottom