Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As an ex-military, current government employee (with union representation) I can most assuredly say some of you fellers are full of sh**. (You can guess who is/isn't)
But hey, don't let me stop this thread hijack, it is getting to be a real laugh riot.

NEVER say HIJACK anywhere near something to do with an airline......sure won't have to worry about baggage fees though! OK, now we're back to the original subject. Baggage fees were what the subject was about, wasn't it? But everything else is just so interesting. There's only so much that can be said about baggage.

Mike

NEVER say HIJACK anywhere near something to do with an airline......sure won't have to worry about baggage fees though! OK, now we're back to the original subject. Baggage fees were what the subject was about, wasn't it? But everything else is just so interesting. There's only so much that can be said about baggage.

Mike

And it is a bad plan to have your brother, Jack, pick you up at the airport.

Mike

So you are saying this thread comes with a lot of ...... baggage?

I have to say we were to the point of traveling with carry-ons through Cancun. This month however we got the deal on Delta. Just as cheap to fly into Coz AND I get a free bag? Really? A free bag? You know what would be cool is if Kayak would let you put in your preferences, like I want a checked bag or not, I want to pick a seat, I will pick a decent seat, etc, etc, so you really know the total cost. Like I am really going to show up and just take whatever seat? Airtran used to have good prices on non-stops to CUN, but it was always another $20 or so for a decent seat. We did splurge one time on the way home and bought upgrades. We were so cool.:cool::cool: Carryons only, front of the plane, first class. Eyeballed the people across from us and they let us off first. FIRST OFF! Booked through immigration. Raced to Customs. First ones there. The Customs guys were a little startled as we showed up so quickly. He said get your luggage. I said, NO LUGGAGE!! He waived us into the checkout area. Still happy. Search the bag and I am still first outta here, right? He asks about declared items, including alcohol. Crap.... yes, alcohol.... in the overhead still on the plane.... VERY nice airline rep went and retrieved it, while we watched all the peons in coach schlep their luggage out through Customs for 20 minutes. Very disheartening.....:crying::crying::crying2::crying2:

I was working on a trip for this fall and Kayak gave me a suggestion for arriving in Cancun, then departing from Coz to get the price and general time frame. I thought that was cool. The bag drag is alot more fun coming than going I think.

Yes it does.....but you've got to expect it to stray off line every so often. 13 pages of baggage.....I mean how many ways can you say fees are too high & they won't let me take my stuff back!

This is the kind of thing that happens when you're body is in the US & you're mind's in Cozumel.

They did get the hurricane screen anchors in and my new washer delivered.....all with me in Texas. I love Cozumel!

Mike

Oh.....and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once....hee., hee, hee

we were surprised on our return from coz via american airlines to find that ANYTHING over 50 pounds was $100 per bag...luckily we were able to re balance and make it work but were surprised as on the way down there was an incremented fee structure.

Hey you all want to talk about Unions and how great they are? How about we combine all 3 topics here, unions, baggage and TSA?

TSA is the prime example of how Unions protect an absolute catastrophe.

Flying through Dallas, got to the security check point - huge line of people, get in the que, look ahead of me after about 5 minutes as to why this is taking so long? What the hell is going on, there aren't that many passengers here?

One TSA agent sitting on a big comfortable chair examining the crap out of each passengers documents, I mean, she was staring at them like they were going to start talking to her if she stared long enough. I thought at one point she was going to start holding them up to a light.

Look behind her, 2 x-ray machines, hardly anybody is even going thru them. look further start counting the TSA uniforms I can see. I lost count at 16.

There were 16 F'n TSA personal standing around in various stages of playing grab ass beyond this one googly eyed mooch spending 60 seconds each time she was burning holes in peoples pass ports with her eyes sitting her fat ass on a huge leather chair, looking like she was about to fall asleep at any moment.

TSA can't put 2 people on point to examine docs with 16 of these union protected, government wage guaranteed shmucks standing around?

That's unions and what they create.

1 person looking at documents and talking all day to do it, and 16 others standing around, and they can't figure out if one of them comes up to read documents they can process 2 times as many people at a time? Nope, probably because the union won't let them. There had to be some reason, I actually asked the one of them why this was going on and he wouldn't even answer me.

Worldwide max allowed is upto 23KG/50.6LBS. 1 luggage or 2 luggage's depending on the destination. Plus a carry on up 10KG/22LBS.

This is a serious issue and the airlines are strict on this. They're waiting to nail someone for such fees. They're expensive and in effect as of awhile ago!!!

Have fun diving and enjoy!!! Watch your weight...

From what I've read, TSA barely just got the rights to collective bargaining from a recent court decision and only just voted on which union to join as of late June. There's no way they'd already have adopted collective bargaining agreements so soon. Are you sure the TSA agents you were talking about were actually under union contracts?

Hey you all want to talk about Unions and how great they are? How about we combine all 3 topics here, unions, baggage and TSA?

TSA is the prime example of how Unions protect an absolute catastrophe.

Flying through Dallas, got to the security check point - huge line of people, get in the que, look ahead of me after about 5 minutes as to why this is taking so long? What the hell is going on, there aren't that many passengers here?

One TSA agent sitting on a big comfortable chair examining the crap out of each passengers documents, I mean, she was staring at them like they were going to start talking to her if she stared long enough. I thought at one point she was going to start holding them up to a light.

Look behind her, 2 x-ray machines, hardly anybody is even going thru them. look further start counting the TSA uniforms I can see. I lost count at 16.

There were 16 F'n TSA personal standing around in various stages of playing grab ass beyond this one googly eyed mooch spending 60 seconds each time she was burning holes in peoples pass ports with her eyes sitting her fat ass on a huge leather chair, looking like she was about to fall asleep at any moment.

TSA can't put 2 people on point to examine docs with 16 of these union protected, government wage guaranteed shmucks standing around?

That's unions and what they create.

1 person looking at documents and talking all day to do it, and 16 others standing around, and they can't figure out if one of them comes up to read documents they can process 2 times as many people at a time? Nope, probably because the union won't let them. There had to be some reason, I actually asked the one of them why this was going on and he wouldn't even answer me.
There are two sides to that, of course. It used to be that huge numbers of working folks were barely above slaves. Until they got together and started depriving their exploiters of their services as a bargaining tool, the typical worker could look forward to a dismal life of 7 day workweeks and 15 hour work days until he got too old or sick or just plain used up to be of use to his employer, whereupon he was tossed out onto the street to wait for the Reaper. The 40 hour work week, weekends, paid holidays, and employer sanctioned medical care all came from unions.

Worldwide max allowed is upto 23KG/50.6LBS. 1 luggage or 2 luggage's depending on the destination. Plus a carry on up 10KG/22LBS.

This is a serious issue and the airlines are strict on this. They're waiting to nail someone for such fees. They're expensive and in effect as of awhile ago!!!

Have fun diving and enjoy!!! Watch your weight...
Fortunately that is not entirely true but then you are only here to sell your trips and never read replies it seems.

Back
Top Bottom