• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bahamas Close Call Video

Discussion in 'Near Misses & Lessons Learned' started by Cave Diver, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mark99

mark99 Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I believe that your computer tracks no stop time until you go into deco, and then it switches to show the total time to surface (deco obligation) in the main time display. That's why the time is increasing at video time 2:34 and 2:54. There are also smaller icons showing the next stop depth and time, just above the main time (but hard to see).

I admire you for helping out in this situation- I don't know if I could have done the same, unless I had really seen signs of distress in the other divers. For me a no deco dive means a hard bottom at 120 fsw, period (unless maybe for a dire emergency). Especially in a single tank, air, and no pre-planning.

2. scubaren

scubaren Contributor

Wow Ahpoolman. You saved two lives without a doubt. This video gave me chills as well. As others have asked did you speak to them later on?

3. OnceLoyal

OnceLoyal Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Wow, I just saw this vid. Thanks for posting it, That is very very chilling!! I am also wondering if you spoke to them on the surface and what they had to say.

4. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

Here is the response given earlier in the thread by the poster who actually shot the video:

5. OnceLoyal

OnceLoyal Contributor

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thx Cave I don't know how I missed that. I guess he did'nt get to really have a conversation with them. Like if they realized how close they were to death and whatnot. Wow, really how crazy was that... I wonder if they even said thanks??
    I think it should be difficult for the majority of the people out there to not do the same (at least I would hope)... I think anyone who says they would'nt have helped them are pretty sick people and are a lot of the cause for our disfunctional world we live in today.. Considering one whould'nt know what caused them to act like that in the moment.
    Your a true hero imo!!!

6. ahpoolman

ahpoolman Registered

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Thanks for the comment. I hope everyone can watch this video and get something out of it..Aaron

7. JKurk

JKurk ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Bro - you are the MAN!!!!

Kudo's for major heroism - 2 people are alive today because of you.

8. bsumner

bsumner Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm going to share this video with some Instructors/DMs, so that they can perhaps incorporate it into their instruction. Super save on this one and a great object lesson to any diver!

9. Norris

Norris Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    *sigh

10. RPLavatar

RPLavatar New

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Kudos to you Ahpoolman! You are a true hero!

For those people who question the validity of the video , saying it was staged and what not, I say SO WHAT IF IT WAS!!?

This video is such a powerful teaching tool that whether or not is was staged should be the last concern of anyone watching it. Take it in the spirit in which it was presented and learn from it or at least pass it along so that others can learn from it.