Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today, June 4, involved providing more formal statements. I also asked if there was any up-date on the missing diver, and as of noon today she is still reported missing. I understand from a fellow who gave me a lift back to my hotel that this morning's Bahamian radio news carried a brief report about the incident.

Alohagal- two or three divers apparently witnessed the DM attempting to get the female diver pointed in the correct direction (I was not among them). One was diving with his wife, who was having sinus problems and trouble clearing. He alerted others so he could keep an eye on his wife.

Dan
Clarification please: Are you saying that the husband of the missing lady is "who was having sinus problems and trouble clearing" and got the DM to chase the wife who was descending without him?

Dunno. I recently learned in another thread that a quick bounce dive to 200' to recover a diver is no problem for an instructor that's been in tropical location for more than 6 months...
What say we try to quote things in context? It's not that hard, you can use a link: link or just cut and paste a multi-quote of the posts:
Have you done this type of dive often? Excluding the rescue part?
Made a bounce to 190, on air, with a buddy, for a very limited task, with an 80 on my back?

Not that often, maybe 50 to 100 times in my life. Usually to recover or emplace an instrument or do a quick planning reconnoiter. In warm, clear water it's not a big deal. In cold, murky water it takes a bit more in the way of gear, planning and support.
You probably didn't want to come across as arrogant, but that's a dangerous statement. I'm sure what you meant was "For a diver of my experience and skill level, in warm, clear water it's not a big deal." For a sizable portion of the divers who might be reading your post, it's probably a fairly risky undertaking that is beyond experience, and should be beyond comfort level. It would be BS if we had to put a disclaimer on every post, but that seems like the kind of statement that could lead some intermediate diver to give it a try with potentially unhappy results.
Sorry, you are correct.

It was not a big deal for me.

It was not a big deal for my buddy, who always had, beyond 100 hours of training: at least 12 dives above 30, 12 dives 30 to 60, 12 dives 60 to 100, 12 dives 100 to 130, 12 dives 130 to 150; and was usually was working toward his or her 190 foot card.

It should not be a big deal for a tropical instructor who's been there even just a few months.

Sorry to hear-----she musta narc'ed on them.....

This sounds like a tragic accident that could have been caused by any number of issues, Speculating this early in an investigation doesn't do anyone any good. Why don't we sit back, wait for the facts to come out and form our opinions then? Jumping to uninformed conclusions certainly will not solve anything or help prevent a similar incident in the future.

Let's want and see what actual information comes out before we jump to conclusions.

Jeff

There is no jumping. I stood up and there was the conclusion. No jumping required. I agree though that there is really only enough information to poke holes in theories....that is all. Thoughts are with the diver, family and friends howe ver I do anxiously await more "facts".

I am not concluding anything, but how does a divemaster get in a physical confrontation with customer and then allow her to fall down a wall? It is easy to imagine someone getting away from a DM and sinking too fast too far, but if the DM was wrasling with her???

It should not be a big deal ... grab the tank valve and ascend, fining, BC lift, or even better: an Air Siphon.

It should not be a big deal ... grab the tank valve and ascend, fining, BC lift, or even better: an Air Siphon.

This was my very 1st thought also....

Don't you think that if the DM could have gotten control of her he would have gotten control of her?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom