Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not concluding anything, but how does a divemaster get in a physical confrontation with customer and then allow her to fall down a wall? It is easy to imagine someone getting away from a DM and sinking too fast too far, but if the DM was wrasling with her???

First let me state 2 things. 1. I am new to diving. 2. I know nothing of this particular case and am speaking in generalities.

In response to the above statement.

I don't think so if they are properly weighted. Problem is, I have yet to see a DM with an uncertified diver REALLY check bouyancy. They usually make sure they can sink and it's all good.

During cert, they (PADI) teaches you to weight so that you float at eye level with a normal breath and no air in your BC. This is what I do and sinking is a slow process for me. If these people are weighted properly sinking into the abyss quickly seems like an impossibility to me, a couple fin kicks even if they freak and don't air up the BC is more than enough to prevent their decentent. That said, I have never been to 100', only 80' is it that much different the deeper you go?

Just a couple of points. First, the DM hired by the couple was female, not male. Second, this DM was in very close proximity to the missing diver and was communicating/in contact with her close to rec diving limits.

My training is also to work behind the diver and attempt to gain control by holding onto the tank valve from the rear and subsequently the lower tank/BCD. Extremely difficult to know what happened and what was going on with a struggling or disoriented diver.

The local Bahamian news tonight listed the name of the missing diver, so I will pass it along here: Radha Wood, of Orinda, California. My deepest condolences to Larry, their family, friends, colleagues, and those who assisted with rescue efforts.

Been a long couple of days.

Dan

Dunno. I recently learned in another thread that a quick bounce dive to 200' to recover a diver is no problem for an instructor that's been in tropical location for more than 6 months...

"drops from a 35' reef depth to an estimated 6,000'" I'm guessingis what was meant by making recovery difficult.

First let me state 2 things. 1. I am new to diving. 2. I know nothing of this particular case and am speaking in generalities.

In response to the above statement.

I don't think so if they are properly weighted. Problem is, I have yet to see a DM with an uncertified diver REALLY check bouyancy. They usually make sure they can sink and it's all good.

During cert, they (PADI) teaches you to weight so that you float at eye level with a normal breath and no air in your BC. This is what I do and sinking is a slow process for me. If these people are weighted properly sinking into the abyss quickly seems like an impossibility to me, a couple fin kicks even if they freak and don't air up the BC is more than enough to prevent their decentent. That said, I have never been to 100', only 80' is it that much different the deeper you go?

Yes, it is a bit different. Your wetsuit compresses as you go deeper, which reduces it's buoyancy, so you sink a little faster. If you don't put puffs of air to your bc as you descend, you can get some good speed going, especially if you are overweighted. Add to it the possible effects of narcosis below 100', perhaps a lack of experience. I have heard of narced divers try to control an descent by trying to add air to their bc, but due to narcosis, actually hit the dump valve, thereby increasing the speed of descent, so they try to add again, but they actually dump.... vicious cycle. Narcosis can have a real effect on the mind.

This is all hypothetical - we don't know what happened to her and it looks like we probably never will - it is just a sad story.

I don't know the profiles, but a lot of people used to diving clear water with a hard bottom decend without checking a depth gauge, expecting to level when the bottom comes in sight.

Sorry to hear of this incident. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

I was wondering...?
Clarification please: Are you saying that the husband of the missing lady is "who was having sinus problems and trouble clearing" and got the DM to chase the wife who was descending without him?
How many of these threads involve divers not descending & ascending with their buddies? I can drop twice as fast as my regular bud and it's tempting to want to meet him below, but I wait. He can be bad about ascending without me at times, but we're working on that. I have a promise to his mom and I chase.

But then we hear about BF/GF buddy splits, and I'm wonder if this was a wife who left her hubby with sinus problems? I have come out of the water, aborting a dive, when my bud couldn't clear screaming "How can you ever forget your allergy meds?! You always have problems!" but I stay with him.

Let's want and see what actual information comes out before we jump to conclusions.

Jeff
What actual information are we likely to get besides the posted account?

At approximately 10:45 am, a female diver was observed descending the wall, which drops from a 35' reef depth to an estimated 6,000'. A dive master retained by the diver/husband attempted to stop her descent at approximately 100', and was seen pushing the DM away and continuing her descent.

That's sad. I'm assuming new/inexperienced since they hired a DM.

I have to say that if I have to chase a diver down on their way past 100' into the Great Blue Beyond, once I get to "pushing away" distance, someone is coming back to the boat with me. And I don't think I know anybody who wouldn't do the same.

Something important is missing here.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom