Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't even know what genuflect means [-]and I am not gonna look it up[/-].

My wife and I made friends with a fellow diver on a live-aboard last year and it turned out that he was a DM/Instructor. We both appreciated his degree of knowledge and the advice he imparted from time to time and the manner in which he delivered them.

We asked him to join us on the next live-aboard we did and, paid for it (after the fact) as a surprise for him. We are now considering another trip and are probably going to pay for his trip with the advance notice that he will act as a DM for us.

My wife and I have AOW and about 70 dives each but are finding that this is the real learning phase of our diving. I think the concept of having a DM, not only to watch over you but also to "refine" things about your diving is a real advantage (if it can be afforded).

I know that this deviates from the focus of this thread, but irrespective of all the posturing that happens here from time to time, this thread and this board provide a huge opportunity to get (new) perspective on many aspects that can/will improve my survivability underwater and diving experience as a whole. (aka: a virtual and free DM)

Best Regards
Richard

I

Last edited:
i know who this person is. she is a good friend of a friend, he ask me if i could find out more information. sounds like narcosis. going deep on a wall by accident is not uncommon. this is where buddy system is very important. something like this can happen very fast, until i get all the facts i don't want to put blame on the divemaster or instructor.

Do you mean the DM or the Victim?

Best Regards
Richard

The subject of his post is "missing scuba diver" so that's who I believe he's referring to.

mrs. wood is whom i am referring too. this has been an informative thread, interesting to have the actual folks who were on the dive responding.

The subject of his post is "missing scuba diver" so that's who I believe he's referring to.

Indeed.

(I really need to apply the 2 coffee rule before responding on the forums in the morning.)

Best Regards
Richard

mrs. wood is whom i am referring too. this has been an informative thread, interesting to have the actual folks who were on the dive responding.
Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Please note that with respect to "the folks who were on the dive responding", per your above quote, they stopped posting any additional relevant details around page 2.

No doubt for reasons that will be very clear to any forum participants with any litigation background or experience.

The thread offers a great deal of indirectly-related information and plausible lessons learned, but very little in the way of any more complete explanation of this incident.

May Mrs. Wood rest in peace.

Doc

Victim's narcosis or not, isn't it reasonable to assume that a Dive Master,[ she did hold that cert, right? ] that has been hired as a dive bud should be responsible for the safety of the person they were hired to dive with? Why was the victim allowed to go deep enough for narcosis to even be a possibilty? Isn't a dive master trained in rescue and would know enough that if all else fails, you reach around for the tank value and inflate your BC to get the person to the surface? There have been reports here, hope I read that correctly, that DM was too far away from the victim. That's basic stuff. I don't get it?

Victim's narcosis or not, isn't it reasonable to assume that a Dive Master,[ she did hold that cert, right? ] that has been hired as a dive bud should be responsible for the safety of the person they were hired to dive with? Why was the victim allowed to go deep enough for narcosis to even be a possibilty? Isn't a dive master trained in rescue and would know enough that if all else fails, you reach around for the tank value and inflate your BC to get the person to the surface? There have been reports here, hope I read that correctly, that DM was too far away from the victim. That's basic stuff. I don't get it?
Yeah, I think that kinda sums it up. I don't know what all the other posts are about really - altho it did take a while to establish that as the case....

Was it a CAUSE or CONTRIBUTING factor?:confused:

Yeah, I think that kinda sums it up. I don't know what all the other posts are about really - altho it did take a while to establish that as the case....

There's also reason to believe that the diver contributed to this incident, first by failing to disclose information about her stroke
I *might* agree to taking a new diver who is 67 years old and just had a stroke a month ago .

As far as I recall in this long thread, it was speculation only that the diver might have had a stroke.

Back
Top Bottom