Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I have suggested the suicide hypothesis from very early in this thread (page 6), I want to emphasize that suicide is only one of many possibilities ( narcosis, a mini-stroke, etc. come to mind). I think that there is a strong possibility we will never know what happened (the cause of the behavior). Just as I believe it would be foolish to argue that suicide was "the" cause of this incident, it would be equally foolish to rule it out. The only "eyewitness" to this incident saw a brief struggle (a push) and then the victim swimming rapidly downward--what caused this is still vey much an unknown variable.

Thal, I don't think this hypothesis is being used as excuse for the DMs unsuccesful rescue attempt (nor should it be). As you have so forcefully argued, a properly trained DM should be able to bring his/her charge to the surface, regardless of the cause of the aberrant behavior (afterall, we are talking about a somewhat elderly woman).

Yes, the DM should have been able to haul mrs woods' butt topside... but as I said, I agree with the possibility of suicide. I'm not declaring she offed herself, just agreeing with that possibility.

The thing that really sucks about this incident is the lack of information.

;p

While I have suggested the suicide hypothesis from very early in this thread (page 6), I want to emphasize that suicide is only one of many possibilities ( narcosis, a mini-stroke, etc. come to mind). I think that there is a strong possibility we will never know what happened (the cause of the behavior). Just as I believe it would be foolish to argue that suicide was "the" cause of this incident, it would be equally foolish to rule it out. The only "eyewitness" to this incident saw a brief struggle (a push) and then the victim swimming rapidly downward--what caused this is still vey much an unknown variable.

Thal, I don't think this hypothesis is being used as excuse for the DMs unsuccesful rescue attempt (nor should it be). As you have so forcefully argued, a properly trained DM should be able to bring his/her charge to the surface, regardless of the cause of the aberrant behavior (afterall, we are talking about a somewhat elderly woman).

You say the eyewitness saw the victim "swimming rapidly downward", but I don't remember that from the account. onlyhalcyon said that he saw something going on while he was at 65'. That he followed the action, descending himself to 90-95'. During that time, he estimated that the DM and victim descended at no greater rate than he did. He also had time to exchange signals with his wife during this period. It sounds like Mrs. Wood was descending, but it didn't sound particularly quick from that description. I also didn't see anything there about holding on or fighting for control of Mrs. Wood's bouyancy.

From my read of onlyhalcyon's account, it sounds like the rent-a-buddy DM had every opportunity to make a rescue and instead chose to try communicating with the victim to convince her to come back up. Sounds like a bad decision, especially when you consider the results. If signals start at 80' and a push occurs at 100', then the next step better be a forced ascent rescue, especially if you have set a hard floor of 140' for yourself. By the time you're at 120', you no longer have time for niceties. Save the diver, or watch her descend into the blue.

As far as further information goes, everything else we hear from onlyhalcyon will be second hand. He reached the point in his narrative where he lost sight of the victim so, unless he left anything out, the only other things he'll be able to talk about are search tactics and information learned from others.

You say the eyewitness saw the victim "swimming rapidly downward", but I don't remember that from the account.

I could see the first diver (Mrs Wood) continue to swim down to what must have been around 110ft and seemed to have no intention of stopping

I'm not sure "rapidly" would be an accurate description, however based on the account it doesn't sound like she was leisurely finning either.

Interesting interpretations of onlyhalcyon's posts. Interesting seeing how some people pull out bits that support their "pet theories". I may as well join the club.

I believe a chain of events led to the final outcome. While each event of itself did not cause this unfortunate death the result of breaking the chain at any point could easily have prevented the incident.

Once again I will state that I do not feel qualified to judge the performance of the DM in failing to bring the diver to the surface. I leave that to those with DM or higher qualifications.

I will clearly state what my "Pet theory" is. COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN! That breakdown may have started with the Doctor failing to make it clear to the Woods what activity level Mrs Woods was capable of. The Woods failed to communicate Mrs Wood's medical risks to the Dive Op and/or the Dive OP failed to recognize it's significance. Communication failed between Mrs Wood and the DM. The DM got the message across to onlyhalcyon probably because he saw what had occurred. The DM's and Dive Crew failed to listen to onlyhalcyon which delayed the rescue.

I am assuming the reason the DM assigned to Mrs Wood surfaced last is because she was still looking for Mrs Wood. I can't be sure of that of course it would require the DM's statement (if she was believed) to clarify that point!

I don't think we can rule out another stroke, Narcosis, Suicide or overconfidence and unwillingness to listen to a younger DM as contributing factors in this event. Certainly IMHO the Dive Operator and every crew member who did not take onlyhalcyon's attempts to get help share some responsibility!

Interesting interpretations of onlyhalcyon's posts. Interesting seeing how some people pull out bits that support their "pet theories". I may as well join the club.

I am assuming the reason the DM assigned to Mrs Wood surfaced last is because she was still looking for Mrs Wood. I can't be sure of that of course it would require the DM's statement (if she was believed) to clarify that point!

I don't think we can rule out another stroke, Narcosis, Suicide or overconfidence and unwillingness to listen to a younger DM as contributing factors in this event. Certainly IMHO the Dive Operator and every crew member who did not take onlyhalcyon's attempts to get help share some responsibility!

Once Mrs. Wood had "escaped" her rent-a-buddy DM, I believe the incident was pretty much over. I don't believe that anyone without a submarine would have had much chance to get to her after that. The crew who failed to respond were in the wrong, but they didn't contribute in any way to Mrs. Wood's demise.

I'm not sure "rapidly" would be an accurate description, however based on the account it doesn't sound like she was leisurely finning either.
You are correct, it did not say rapidly, just that she was swimming downward with no intention of stopping.

I respectfully disagree with your theory.

... I will clearly state what my "Pet theory" is. COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN! That breakdown may have started with the Doctor failing to make it clear to the Woods what activity level Mrs Woods was capable of.

There is no evidence that Mrs. Woods was not capable of diving as a result of any prior stroke. Nor is there actual evidence that the prior stroke was actually a contributing factor to the incident.

There is no evidence what Mrs. Woods' doctor did or did not tell her. Perhaps the doctor told Mrs. Woods not to dive and was quite clear and perhaps Mrs. Woods chose to disregard the doctor's admonition. Perhaps not. In either case, what the doctor did or didn't tell Mrs. Woods cannot be a part of any theory.

... The Woods failed to communicate Mrs Wood's medical risks to the Dive Op and/or the Dive OP failed to recognize it's significance.

Again, we do not know that there were any medical risks. Nor do we have evidence these were a factor in the incident.

If the Woods did let the dive op know Mrs. Woods had had a stroke, I am surprised the dive op let her dive at all. I've seen too many dive ops refuse to let divers dive for much lesser maladies.

... Communication failed between Mrs Wood and the DM.

Again, there is no evidence of a communication failure. For all anyone can tell, Mrs. Woods got the DM's message quite clearly and then disregarded it.

... The DM got the message across to onlyhalcyon probably because he saw what had occurred. The DM's and Dive Crew failed to listen to onlyhalcyon which delayed the rescue.

That the DMs and Dive Crew failed to listen to onlyhalcyon is an understatement. However, my impression is that by the time onlyhalcyon got to the other DMs and/or Dive Crew, it was way too late to perform any sort of a rescue or recovery.

... I am assuming the reason the DM assigned to Mrs Wood surfaced last is because she was still looking for Mrs Wood. I can't be sure of that of course it would require the DM's statement (if she was believed) to clarify that point!

I think this is a reasonable assumption. And, for anyone who thinks the DM should have surfaced and sought help, look at the issues surrounding Gabe Watson when he let his new wife sink while he purportedly went for help.

... I don't think we can rule out another stroke, Narcosis, Suicide or overconfidence and unwillingness to listen to a younger DM as contributing factors in this event.

I agree we can't rule these out. But, I feel it is too speculative to base any theory on any of these. (My pet theory will come shortly.)

... Certainly IMHO the Dive Operator and every crew member who did not take onlyhalcyon's attempts to get help share some responsibility!

Again, it seems to me that by the point onlyhalcyon was able to signal or otherwise communicate to anyone, it was too late. As such, I do not see it is a matter of sharing responsibility for anything.

Now for my personal pet theory: For reasons that no one will ever know, Mrs. Woods went deep and did not come back up. She died either (1) as a result of running out of air, (2) oxygen toxicity at sufficient depth (yes, even on air), or (3) from some other condition.

I recognize that my theory is not particularly elegant or exciting. However, it does explain the known facts and does not require speculation about "facts" that cannot be established.

The net result is that I am moving toward the camp that questions why the DM assigned to Mrs. Woods let her get so far away that when Mr. Woods started her descent over the wall, the DM was not able to act decisively to bring her back up. While I can see why the DM may not have chased Mrs. Woods after a certain point, I wonder whether, had the initial interaction not been so deep, i.e. had the DM gotten to her sooner, the DM would have had more opportunity to remedy the situation.

Once Mrs. Wood had "escaped" her rent-a-buddy DM, I believe the incident was pretty much over. I don't believe that anyone without a submarine would have had much chance to get to her after that. The crew who failed to respond were in the wrong, but they didn't contribute in any way to Mrs. Wood's demise.

I think this just about says it all.

So, how is it that Mrs. Wood "escaped"?

I know a lot of people around the board feel the DM was negligent in letting that happen. I render no opinion on this, but the issue does concern me a lot.

Can someone answer a question for me? I've read that the DM was giving onlyhalcyon the hand signal that she had lost her buddy. Not only do I NOT know that one, I couldn't find one anywhere on the internet after googling it. What IS the hand signal for "I've lost my buddy"? I know the one for "buddy up" but not the other.....

Back
Top Bottom