Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Point to yourself (or to the diver who has lost a buddy if it is not your buddy that is missing). Then use the "Buddy-Up" signal followed by the "I Don't Know" signal. It will get the point across... you'll either be stating that you do not know where your buddy is, or asking the other diver where their buddy is.

Best wishes.

What IS the hand signal for "I've lost my buddy"? I know the one for "buddy up" but not the other.....

I would try with something like this:

gHvzk.jpg

I love it when you make me think Bruce!

I respectfully disagree with your theory.
There is no evidence that Mrs. Woods was not capable of diving as a result of any prior stroke. Nor is there actual evidence that the prior stroke was actually a contributing factor to the incident.

There is no evidence what Mrs. Woods' doctor did or did not tell her. Perhaps the doctor told Mrs. Woods not to dive and was quite clear and perhaps Mrs. Woods chose to disregard the doctor's admonition. Perhaps not. In either case, what the doctor did or didn't tell Mrs. Woods cannot be a part of any theory.

In my post I was careful in my wording.... That breakdown may have started with the Doctor failing to make it clear to the Woods what activity level Mrs Woods was capable of. I would not accuse anyone of incompetence without significant information that is lacking here. It is one of a doctors responsibilities to completely inform their patients of all risks associated with the medical conditions they are treating them for.. some fail in this regard.

Again, we do not know that there were any medical risks. Nor do we have evidence these were a factor in the incident.
I am not a doctor but have enough training/experience in the field to know that anyone who has had a TIA is at significant risk of future strokes without subjecting themselves to increased pressures and gas exchange issues on the simplest dive. I can not imagine a dive doctor clearing this lady to dive. In the next section of your post you seem to agree with that.

If the Woods did let the dive op know Mrs. Woods had had a stroke, I am surprised the dive op let her dive at all. I've seen too many dive ops refuse to let divers dive for much lesser maladies.

Again, there is no evidence of a communication failure. For all anyone can tell, Mrs. Woods got the DM's message quite clearly and then disregarded it.
There are two parts of communication.. communicator... and receiver both are required for effective communication. The DM was communicating by banging on her tank.. that is pretty clear.... Mrs Woods was not receiving. I would suggest they needed to be very clear on the surface how they would communicate and how they would dive. Even saying.. "I am paying you to accompany me I will do my own dive, your job is to show me interesting stuff or watch me do my own thing. I will not be follwing any directions from you" granted it is possible the DM may have decided not to dive based on those instructions from her "employer diver".

That the DMs and Dive Crew failed to listen to onlyhalcyon is an understatement. However, my impression is that by the time onlyhalcyon got to the other DMs and/or Dive Crew, it was way too late to perform any sort of a rescue or recovery.

I think this is a reasonable assumption. And, for anyone who thinks the DM should have surfaced and sought help, look at the issues surrounding Gabe Watson when he let his new wife sink while he purportedly went for help.
I agree we can't rule these out. But, I feel it is too speculative to base any theory on any of these. (My pet theory will come shortly.)

Again, it seems to me that by the point onlyhalcyon was able to signal or otherwise communicate to anyone, it was too late. As such, I do not see it is a matter of sharing responsibility for anything.[/quote]

I got the impression that the DM signaled fairly early on. Yes it may have been too late already... we don't know.. maybe Mrs Wood started to swim back to the surface at some point and having someone there looking for her could have helped. Probably that is a stretch but delaying the search may have done nothing worse than deny the family a body to burry.. to some that is a significat set to 'closure'.

Now for my personal pet theory: For reasons that no one will ever know, Mrs. Woods went deep and did not come back up. She died either (1) as a result of running out of air, (2) oxygen toxicity at sufficient depth (yes, even on air), or (3) from some other condition.

I recognize that my theory is not particularly elegant or exciting. However, it does explain the known facts and does not require speculation about "facts" that cannot be established.

The net result is that I am moving toward the camp that questions why the DM assigned to Mrs. Woods let her get so far away that when Mr. Woods started her descent over the wall, the DM was not able to act decisively to bring her back up. While I can see why the DM may not have chased Mrs. Woods after a certain point, I wonder whether, had the initial interaction not been so deep, i.e. had the DM gotten to her sooner, the DM would have had more opportunity to remedy the situation.
Well I can't disagree with your pet theory! I still contend that a number of things contributed to this death and Communication breakdown was a factor. Only one thing is clear and irrefutable Mrs Woods started a dive she did not return from. There are a lot of people impacted by that fact. The family and loved ones are the most obvious. The Dive Operator's staff, everyone on the boats and involved in the search also need support. Even tho IMHO a number of people did or failed to do things that contributed to this event accusations and blame laying with not bring this poor lady back. I would rather try to understand what contributed, learn from it and if it is ever in my power to prevent future incidents.

Even tho IMHO a number of people did or failed to do things that contributed to this event accusations and blame laying with not bring this poor lady back. I would rather try to understand what contributed, learn from it and if it is ever in my power to prevent future incidents.

A BIG Amen!

In the process of figuring out what went wrong, inevitably, you will lay blame.

After thinking about this thread and my last few posts, I am making a mental note to myself that during my pre-dive briefing with my buddy, especially if it is an insta-buddy, to discuss how close we will be. I want to know that if something goes terribly wrong with my buddy, I can grab hold of the tank valve and head for the surface. And, while I will not count on a buddy to be able to help me, I want to increase the chance of a buddy being able to help me.

An interesting aside. I do a lot of travel diving and except in Florida, everywhere I've dived, the dive op has provided a dive guide of one sort or another. I do not recall a single one who I would rate less than A+++. In fact, I can hardly imagine myself ever getting to be that good a diver as any of them were.

Steve,
Having dived with Stuart Coves for three weeks over a period of three years I can say that the greatest problem they face is the number of inexperienced/unsafe divers that they deal with on a daily basis. A certified/properly trained diver is in charge of his/her own equipment and is responsible to properly dive the profile given in the briefing. I watched divers pay no attention to the divemaster's topside or underwater instructions, open bags of food with sharks present, and not make a safety stop--all on one dive. The day before we had to pick up two divers 600 yards off of the wreck that they were supposed to dive--and there was no current. While the staff is responsible for the group every diver is in charge of their own safety. I would also assert that the problems you encountered/mentioned above were not the result of the dive crew, but rather the poor divers that were too proud to ask for help or misrepresented their prior experience. Why didn't you stop the novice from cresting the wall-wasn't he with you. You chose to take inexperienced divers to Stuart Coves--they are not babysitters.

Interesting take on this, Rosebud. It is my perception that the ratio of competent to inexperienced/unsafe divers has changed dramatically during the years my buddy and I were out of the water. Until our recent trip to Hawaii, all our diving was done in Florida and one live aboard trip to the Bahamas in the early 90s. I don't remember any boats taking us out without checking our c cards, and before advanced dives they looked at our log books, too. I don't remember guides getting in the water with us, except maybe on drift dives.

From what I've read and experienced this year, things have changed. Divers are not taking as much responsibility for themselves, and boat crews seem to be trying to fill the gaps in their training rather than simply turning them away. I can't imagine being a divemaster, and I'm surprised that liability insurance is available to these boat captains.

New divers don't know what they don't know. Dive charters are probably experiencing economic pressure, and I imagine employee divemasters are between a rock and a hard place. Accidents seem much more likely under these conditions. I worry that the sport will have more and more accidents, and become thought of as a reckless and dangerous activity. Just when it is time to renew our life insurance policies.

Hello board I have not made a post for a wile now, I was there an i wish I knew what happen the one thing I do know is that we lost a life that day, that is the sad part, if she wanted it that way or not and the only way we will ever know what really happen is that maybe one day the DM will come to us and post it the way it really happen, I really dont think anyone knows what went on down there but her the DM .As far as diving with SC again ,I will, an hope to my dive buddy and myself are trying to plan a trip there in OCT. AN yes I want to dive the wall again. and like I said the only one that can put this thread to rest is the DM.

Steve,
Having dived with Stuart Coves for three weeks over a period of three years I can say that the greatest problem they face is the number of inexperienced/unsafe divers that they deal with on a daily basis. A certified/properly trained diver is in charge of his/her own equipment and is responsible to properly dive the profile given in the briefing. I watched divers pay no attention to the divemaster's topside or underwater instructions, open bags of food with sharks present, and not make a safety stop--all on one dive. The day before we had to pick up two divers 600 yards off of the wreck that they were supposed to dive--and there was no current. While the staff is responsible for the group every diver is in charge of their own safety. I would also assert that the problems you encountered/mentioned above were not the result of the dive crew, but rather the poor divers that were too proud to ask for help or misrepresented their prior experience. Why didn't you stop the novice from cresting the wall-wasn't he with you. You chose to take inexperienced divers to Stuart Coves--they are not babysitters.

I am not sure who you are referring to here rosebud but the Woods hired a DM to be Mrs Wood's Buddy. As far as I can tell nobody that has posted in this thread had anything to do with the Wood's choice to dive that site.

I do agree that we all need to take responsibility for our decisions. That applies to the divers and the dive operators. As I've said here before... we need to look for lessons and not get hung up on the blame game. If we look for a lesson and apply it.. we may prevent incidents if we are too interested in point fingers of blame we may miss something valuable.

Hello board I have not made a post for a wile now, I was there an i wish I knew what happen the one thing I do know is that we lost a life that day, that is the sad part, if she wanted it that way or not and the only way we will ever know what really happen is that maybe one day the DM will come to us and post it the way it really happen, I really dont think anyone knows what went on down there but her the DM .As far as diving with SC again ,I will, an hope to my dive buddy and myself are trying to plan a trip there in OCT. AN yes I want to dive the wall again. and like I said the only one that can put this thread to rest is the DM.

Meg being at a dive where someone is lost must be a terrible experience... your holiday was darkened by this event and I am sorry you had to go through that. I believe the other divers on that trip were also victims in a way :idk:

The fact that a number of people have indicated they are happy to continue diving with SC is good to hear.

I disagree that the DM can put the thread to rest. She may be able to post what happened from her perspective but I doubt that it will be accepted as the final word on what really happened. It would be interesting to get her perspective. IMHO I doubt the DM would gain anything from posting here. I wish her well on her journey to healing.

Back
Top Bottom